• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Chris Phillips

I’m sure you asked in jest. Coz I’d hope he wouldn’t make it that obvious he wants out?! He has done that job for years though so I wouldn’t blame him for moving on. It must be a great job as he’s clearly a big Blues fan. But if he’s ambitious as a journalist he’d need to leave.

Maybe wrong , but when someone wants to update their CV it could be that they ‘need’ to find another job.
It may sadly not be his choice - hope I’m wrong though

Would be a shame if Chris left but being employed by a local newspaper is not the most secure of jobs these days with many papers closing down. Maybe he is looking to work in another media area.

If someone who writes for a paper for a living is struggling to write about his living on paper, then he may be in the wrong career anyway.

Think we’re probably on the wrong track.

I think he needs at least another year with us. If he moved to a Championship newspaper he would only be warming the bench. If he does sign then maybe they could loan him back for the rest of the season.

I know him well and I very much doubt it.

Equally while the Echo is like every newspaper and has to cut staff regularly, I would be astounded if they were making him redundant, he basically is the sports desk these days.

I hope he isn't leaving the Echo. I think he does a fantastic job covering a lot of local teams and sports. He seems to have good contacts and is good with keeping us informed, or sometimes with breaking news. Gets on with people at SUFC. I can assure you that hasn't always been the case with Evening Echo reporters.

I hope he isn't leaving the Echo. I think he does a fantastic job covering a lot of local teams and sports. He seems to have good contacts and is good with keeping us informed, or sometimes with breaking news. Gets on with people at SUFC. I can assure you that hasn't always been the case with Evening Echo reporters.

Some of his recent tweets where he’s found some old stuff from his younger days shows how much he loves the job and the effort he puts into it. Having a genuine fan as the reporter for the local newspaper is a bonus. Will be a shame if he does leave.

If i remember correctly, he voiced his concerns / stress / deadlines etc about working for the media group that owns the Echo way back in late summer or early autumn, so wouldn't surprise me if he did leave.

Hope he doesn't though. He does a good job, and being a true fan of the club reporting for the paper is invaluable.

Their website has become unbareable at times with all the pop ups and adverts.

Agreed.

I don't know who thinks that's a good idea, but it actually has a negative effect on reading online content and certainly on buying any of the pop-up stuff itself, which kind of defeats the object.

Less is always more.

I'm sure he'll be delighted knowing he's got his own dedicated thread

There is a very good reason why Chris Phillips cannot leave the Echo and why he is so good at his job.

Screenshot 2019-01-09 at 19.51.59.png

Screenshot 2019-01-09 at 19.54.55.png

Back