• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to resurrect this terrace chant methinks:

Chrissy Powell, my Lord, Chrissy Powell! Chrissy Powell, my Lord, Chrissy Powell! Chrissy Powell, my Lord, Chrissy Powell! Oh Lord, Chrissy Powell!

I was just thinking the same!

I hope the club have '2 in a Room' lined up when he is introduced to the crowd on Saturday.

Anyone got any ideas on how Powell has set his teams up previously? Might give a clue as to potential transfer targets?

Eleven blokes in Charlton shirts.

My bet is that he will lose the Roots hall crowd pretty quickly if he tries that here.

Anyone got any ideas on how Powell has set his teams up previously? Might give a clue as to potential transfer targets?

I would hope that Powelly-babe would set up his team according to the players (and their relative talents) that he has at his disposal.

Just a shot in the dark that ...........................:whistling:

I would hope that Powelly-babe would set up his team according to the players (and their relative talents) that he has at his disposal.

Not seen that at the Hall for some time. A bit radical I think.

His football was pretty grim at Huddersfield, according to a mate who supports them.

The comments from the CEO when he was sacked are pretty scathing

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/huddersfield-town-chief-exec-chris-10385709

This isn't to infer anything about how he might perform with us - he's got a clean slate and Ron will back him to go about things in the way he wants to operate. I'm excited about the time he's been supporting Spurs more recently, which will give him good insight into Pochs methodology, and also broadening his scouting network and I'm sure he'll have targets in mind.

Nigel Clibbens, there, who left the club in 2016 to go to Carlisle United!

Frrankly, I'm not interested in what some Northern goons have to say.

Just realised we have replaced one Ex Rams manager with another Ex Rams manager. :stunned:

Let's not have any nonsense on whether the team are great or useless based on each game as it comes. Remit is to stay up and then team and manager can be judged fairly when next season starts hopefully in Div 1

We need a manager who can take the long term view. Remit should be for the club to be in League One in 2020 trending upwards and to be developing young talent.

The foundations he inherits are so shaky that we may end up rebuilding in League Two. Even if he keeps us up this season, we're in a bad shape for next season with too many declining players (Robinson, Ferdinand, Kightly) on long contracts and the only first XI player approaching his prime sold to Sheffield Utd.

It's unlikely that he'll be able to immediately turn around a club that lost EIGHT of it's last nine matches. He is not inheriting a spine of Barry Corr, Michael Timlin, Kevan Hurst* all at 27 year olds and in their prime having just won through to Wembley and finished 4th the season before. He's not inheriting a 22 year old Ryan Leonard primed to breakout having completed his apprenticeship, a 20 year old Dan Bentley that had won a penalty shoot out on the way to Wembley and just established himself as first choice keeper.

He therefore needs time and an understanding that the benefits of moves made now may only be seen in a year or two's time.

It's a long term challenge and we (and Ron) may need to show patience. Hopefully he'll rise to the challenge, he'll use his man-management skills honed at the PFA, his scouting network developed at Spurs, his knowledge of the division gained from his time at Charlton to leave the club in a better position than he found it and not in it's worst position for eight years.

*Although McLaughlin can be a successor to Hurst

Personally I am really happy with this appointment, great to have a real fans favourite on board.

I work with a Charlton season ticket holder who was telling me about Powell's time there. He said that they were winning games for fun and he had the team set out to be organised and solid and it clearly worked as he got them promoted with record points. He did however say that the style of play was very long ball and a bit dull.

For me, I think we are crying out for some organisation so it seems a perfect fit. The style of play sound a bit depressing but it may not be completely fair to him but if that got us to the Championship (next season) then I certainly won't be complaining.

Powell was my number 1 choice and I am delighted that we got him.

He starts with an enormous amount of goodwill, at least as evidenced by this forum. However, let us not heap unrealistic expectations on him. He has a hard task before him and no one should underestimate just how difficult it will be to turn around a season that just kept getting worse. Survival in League 1 is essential, mid table respectability would be a major achievement. A fascinating three months lie ahead and I wish him well.

Well yes. But, as i'm sure you are aware, managers tend to have favoured systems and styles that if they can they would like to play. What helps with playing that style or system? Having players that can play it and guess what, we're in a transfer window!

Therefore perhaps he might look to get in a couple of players in to fit his favoured style. Just a shot in the dark that.......

We need a manager who can take the long term view. Remit should be for the club to be in League One in 2020 trending upwards and to be developing young talent.

The foundations he inherits are so shaky that we may end up rebuilding in League Two. Even if he keeps us up this season, we're in a bad shape for next season with too many declining players (Robinson, Ferdinand, Kightly) on long contracts and the only first XI player approaching his prime sold to Sheffield Utd.

It's unlikely that he'll be able to immediately turn around a club that lost EIGHT of it's last nine matches. He is not inheriting a spine of Barry Corr, Michael Timlin, Kevan Hurst* all at 27 year olds and in their prime having just won through to Wembley and finished 4th the season before. He's not inheriting a 22 year old Ryan Leonard primed to breakout having completed his apprenticeship, a 20 year old Dan Bentley that had won a penalty shoot out on the way to Wembley and just established himself as first choice keeper.

He therefore needs time and an understanding that the benefits of moves made now may only be seen in a year or two's time.

It's a long term challenge and we (and Ron) may need to show patience. Hopefully he'll rise to the challenge, he'll use his man-management skills honed at the PFA, his scouting network developed at Spurs, his knowledge of the division gained from his time at Charlton to leave the club in a better position than he found it and not in it's worst position for eight years.

*Although McLaughlin can be a successor to Hurst

This sums up browns SUFC time. I defy anyone to argue the points made. He inherited a stable football set up with very good players. Left us with a massive pile of old garbage. Chuck in the promotion by all means but have a good look at the state of the squad he has left behind.

Well yes. But, as i'm sure you are aware, managers tend to have favoured systems and styles that if they can they would like to play. What helps with playing that style or system? Having players that can play it and guess what, we're in a transfer window!

Therefore perhaps he might look to get in a couple of players in to fit his favoured style. Just a shot in the dark that.......

Ive heard on a couple of occassions he set up defensively, so anyone who is expecting free flowing attacking football may well be disappointed. Im not sure many managers can be classed as that anymore these days anyway.

This will end in tears.... well it always does eventually in football. Hope that is in 10 years rather than 10 months. Can't think of a bloke I'd like to see succeed more than Chris Powell.

Ah yes. :smile: Apologies for the use of low level "humour".

My information from a Hudders Towny chap is that Powelly-babe came to their club when the club was in a mess on the pitch and off the pitch. He kept them up using rather dull tactics (almost Brown like). And that wasn't appreciated by many who wanted more for their club especially in the following season. That is one side of the coin.

The other side of the coin is that Powelly-babe had little financial wiggle room, had to use quite a lot of youth players and was laying down the foundations for a better future position.

Back