• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chris Powell?

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Surprised I couldn't find a thread asking whether Chris Powell would return to us to finish his career, so I thought I'd better start one!

He has said publically that he wants to continue playing http://www.charlton-athletic.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32401&newstype=p

Where better than at Roots Hall. I know he's 39 now, but was looking pretty fit last time I saw him. All his managers also comment on what an immense presence he has off the pitch and behind the scenes. With such a young squad he would make a great mentor - even if we need some cover for the LB position. Perhaps Johnny Herd is not too far away from being adequate cover.

Thoughts gents (and ladies!)?

PS - Really annoyed that the Charlton report doesn't mention us as one of his former clubs - he played almost as many games for us as he did for them, infact he may have played more! He only played 11 games on loan at Aldershot but they get a mention!

if we only make one signing, well two following walker i hope its Chrissy Powell.

would be superb!

My main worry would be that he wouldn''t be the same Chris Powell that we all knew and loved and it would cheapen the memory a bit.

That said Spinner came back and I liked him as much as before as did Eagle so maybe it would be good.....

My main worry would be that he wouldn''t be the same Chris Powell that we all knew and loved and it would cheapen the memory a bit.

That said Spinner came back and I liked him as much as before as did Eagle so maybe it would be good.....

Think its obvious he wouldnt be the same player as he left us quite young relatively - since then he's played consistantly in the Premier League and had England caps + far more experienced.

Even at 39, he'd be great to have around the side - I've no doubt he could still do a great job at left-back if we dont get Mulgrew and will add needed experience to that back 4. Plus he would help out behind the scenes and in the dressing room.

We lack a character such as that now - someone line Spinner, or Edwards or the Goat.

Didnt Powell say he wouldnt come back anyway? Be a shame if not.

I think he would make an awesome addition to the club, perhaps more off the field than on it, but look at the effects of peeps like The Goat, Spinner, Eagle over the last few years. Maybe that was what was missing this year? Always good to have a few old heads around the club. Macca for instance could do with a mentor to sort out his attitude, something which hold shim back from being a truely great player.

I would think he would be a great addition to the squad at the very least. I thought he was retiring, I did not realise that it was just his last Charlton game and he wants to carry on playing. I would imagine Tilly has had words

would only want him backn a technical role, coaching staff, etc. Would be a great person around for the yooof team to learn from.

Not sure I would want him now to be honest. 2 years ago yeah definitely, but I think the time has passed unfortunately.

It may be good to have him for a year, one as back up for Mulgrew (on the basis he stays!), and two, to help Mulgrew with his defending

Personally, I'd love to have him here, because not only will be a decent player at this level despite his age, but you'll be hard pressed to find a nicer, more genuine bloke in the game. He know's Tilly well and, IMO, will be a far better fit to the coaching staff than Andy Cole.

We must be going for an ex-Prem Coaching Development Scheme, with Saunders, Powell and Cole possibly on the books.

Sir Chrissie is still quality and after playing at Prem and Championship level for so long would still do a job for us at 39 in League One for a season (or two) and as has been said, would be a great mentor for our squad.

Over to you Tilly...

Last edited:
Chrissie's boots are up for auction apparently if anybody fancies making a bid?

Powell proves popular

Bidding for the football boots signed by Chris Powell had reached £620 at the start of the day - and there is now only two more days left in the auction.

Upon his departure from the Addicks, the fans' favourite handed the official website a pair of signed boots to auction on eBay.

The Nike Ronaldinho 10 boots even have genuine Valley mud on the studs from a game Powell played for the Addicks.

Fans can bid on the Auctions section of the website at http://www.cafc.co.uk.

Back