• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
"We’re going to build a squad, a team, put an infrastructure in that the club will be proud of moving forward."

dQ1euc.jpg

Chris Powell was appointed as Blues' new Manager on Tuesday.

Shortly after the announcement, the 48-year-old spoke to assembled sections from print and broadcast media, as well as southendunited.co.uk

There is plenty of reaction to come from the Blues boss in Saturday's programme against Scunthorpe United, but here's some of what Powell said in his interview with iFollow Blues...

On the squad he inherits…

We’ve got some talented players here but we need to find a way now to make ourselves a solid unit, a solid team, a solid outfit in this league and then do our best to move on from there.

I’ll get around them, try and build their confidence up which isn’t easy. I’ve been a player and when you’re down you’re looking around for other players to help, but ultimately it’s down to you as an individual and as a team to help each other to get out of it.

That’s what we’ve got to do.

You’ve been a Manager in this division before with Charlton. What’s your thoughts on it as a whole now?

It’s very similar. There was a number of big teams back then; the two Sheffield sides, Huddersfield, Preston, but it’s generally quite similar.

Clubs that move up into League One and find it a struggle, clubs that move down from the Championship looking to bounce back up. It’s no different now with Wigan, Portsmouth, Blackburn.

But then, you’ve got to take each team on its merits. I don’t think you can every say well they’re a lower league side in the division, you’ve got to be ready and fully prepared for it.

We’ve got players here with good experience. Not only of this league but the Championship and the Premier League.

Now we’ve got to make sure they show their experience in this league, handle the tricky games away and home, really turn up for every single game and turn up and show that attitude and passion that they’ve all got.

I’ve watched some of the games - Charlton on Boxing Day they were outstanding. I want to see that on a more consistent basis.

Sometimes you just get yourself in a place that you can’t get out of, which is up to me and my staff to get out of.

It’s a tough league but the club showed last year they can perform in it.

You’ve watched a few games and you’ve seen one training session so you will have a rough idea about the squad. Have you identified areas you would like to improve?

Well I haven't got much time. You’re always looking to improve your squad and looking to nail down key areas of your squad.

Obviously we’ve lost Ryan Leonard and Nile Ranger recently, so we’re two short in those areas because they were two players in two key areas.

That may be something we’ll look at.

We’ve got a decent squad, obviously there’s a few injuries and we won’t be able to do anything after the end of January.

It will be remiss of me not to look to make sure we add to the squad and try and bring players in that will help us in the current position we’re in.

Also players that will help us beyond the season that we’re in, whether they’re permanents or come on loan with a view to a permanent we’ll have to wait and see but we’re working hard to rectify that and hopefully we’ll be able to get one or two players in as soon as possible.

On his first game in charge at Roots Hall against Scunthorpe…

It will be nerve-wracking of course, but you’ve got to get on with it.

Once that whistle blows there is not much you can do.

You can shout but the players have got to push themselves, they’ve got to get the crowd on their side and that’s by being aggressive with the ball and without, being positive, putting quality balls in from wide areas, set-plays we have to make count, we’ve got to lock it up at the back.

You want three points but ultimately you’ve got to take a point.

We’ve got to be hard to beat and clean sheets earn you points, which we haven’t had too many of.

We need to positive and on the front foot.

I’m look forward to it. Will I be nervous? Yes because I want it to go well, and then we’ve just got to go from there.

What’s you message to the fans?

Well welcome back I think for them and for me.

I want them to be proud of their team again and we’re going to need them.

I always feel that’s when you see the best of everyone where the real support will come out and back the team.

I know it’s never easy when the team aren’t winning because everyone gets frustrated but I will be doing my best to make them proud of their team again.

We’ve got some good young players. Fans always like young players so we’re going to do our best to integrate them. They’ve already made their debuts and it’s a trait of the club, that will continue.

We’re going to build a squad, a team, put an infrastructure in that the club will be proud of moving forward.

Ultimately it’s about results, producing wining football and that’s what we need to do.

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/ne...hat-the-club-will-be-proud-of-moving-forward/

He says all the right things and I’m very excited to see what he can do, especially beyond the end of this season.

You can make what you like of his comments but on Saturday when the talking stops we will get a clearer idea of his thoughts and input. Over inflated expectations result in equally disproportionate disappointment. Best to wait and see, albeit with great anticipation.

You can make what you like of his comments but on Saturday when the talking stops we will get a clearer idea of his thoughts and input. Over inflated expectations result in equally disproportionate disappointment. Best to wait and see, albeit with great anticipation.

Absolutely, but also give him a chance. He’s taking his first session today and will likely need longer than 3 days to drill his ideas in. So first and foremost I’ll be looking at confidence and teamwork on Saturday. Provided he keeps up, next season will be when he really starts to stamp his influence on everything from personnel, to tactics and style, to attitude and confidence.

Interesting that he's watched a few games, so will already have an idea of where he needs to improve. The main problem is, who would want to join us ? Poor league position, poor morale, poor stadium, poor pitch. I think his best chance is to try to sign players he knows from the past (as a favour) and somehow lift the morale of the squad he's inherited.

I loved "Wiggle it" as a player, he was a model professional and he knows the club well. So he's probably more suited than anybody to turn things around. I wish him all the best, and will be singing my heart out for him and the team.

Well that's new Clean sheet mentality Sounds like another defender as manager .Oh yes he was one wasn't he .If his players play with the hearts on there sleves as Chris powell did as a player then we will be ok .

Well that's new Clean sheet mentality Sounds like another defender as manager .Oh yes he was one wasn't he .If his players play with the hearts on there sleves as Chris powell did as a player then we will be ok .

I'll second that !!:winking:

Absolutely, but also give him a chance. He’s taking his first session today and will likely need longer than 3 days to drill his ideas in. So first and foremost I’ll be looking at confidence and teamwork on Saturday. Provided he keeps up, next season will be when he really starts to stamp his influence on everything from personnel, to tactics and style, to attitude and confidence.
Exactly the point I was trying to make.Despite some of the over optimistic comments on here, he does not possess magical powers and he will need time to make his mark, during which period he deserves our total support and patience.

What I still don't entirely get is why a squad billowing at the sides with experience got into this state?
Kids with heads down when results go wrong, I understand. But this squad, average age 27, I was reminded here, should have been mentally stronger than Chris hints.
The interesting thing is whether his infectious enthusiasm rubs off, or whether summer's recruitment will in hindsight turn out to be pants.
I seriously hope he gets at least a couple of new faces in. He's going to need all the help he can get.

What I still don't entirely get is why a squad billowing at the sides with experience got into this state?
Kids with heads down when results go wrong, I understand. But this squad, average age 27, I was reminded here, should have been mentally stronger than Chris hints.
The interesting thing is whether his infectious enthusiasm rubs off, or whether summer's recruitment will in hindsight turn out to be pants.
I seriously hope he gets at least a couple of new faces in. He's going to need all the help he can get.

Average age?

The youngest player in our last starting XI was 27.

Either way we need a box-to-box midfielder and a forward who can hold the ball up.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.Despite some of the over optimistic comments on here, he does not possess magical powers and he will need time to make his mark, during which period he deserves our total support and patience.

Indeed he does not.

There has always been rather child like notion on here that anyone who has every played for us would make a good manager/coach. If CP had played 290 games for Col U I dare say people would be ripping into him about his recent managerial record.

The other thing is, good players don't necessarily mean they will be good mangers. Likewise some of the best managers weren't the best players, Mourinho, Wenger and Ferguson come to mind.

Of the list of around 20 ex players that have been mentioned on the weekly Brown out threads, Then I guess CP would be the best choice. The management job he has now is tougher than any of his previous gigs. I hope you all realise that and cut him some slack.

I hope the same people who have absolute hate in there voices towards the like of Anton will now give the players some support because if you don't support the players you won't be supporting Chris Powell......Which would be a disastrous shame on our club.

See thats the thing. Most people beginning of season with the signings we made thought we should be at the top end of the table.

We are at the bottom end of the table with those same players. Losing leonard is a blow, but we are down there when he was in the side.

So were we all wrong? Was the squad actually never any good in the first place or have we underachieved?

Time will tell I guess.

^
Spot on, that.

The performances have been below par for a number of reasons, not least of which was that we missed a bag full of clear cut chances and then let sloppy goals in at the other end.

See thats the thing. Most people beginning of season with the signings we made thought we should be at the top end of the table.

We are at the bottom end of the table with those same players. Losing leonard is a blow, but we are down there when he was in the side.

So were we all wrong? Was the squad actually never any good in the first place or have we underachieved?

Time will tell I guess.

I personally think we are underachieving, with the personnel we have and the experience. However, towards the end of his reign here, the players were not happy with Brown or the way he did things, I think the comments about Wordsworth, and the way he demonised some of the younger players were final nails in the coffin as far as the players were concerned, therefore lost respect in him and could not play in the way he wanted them do - which was to his ultimate demise.

Having CP in the hot seat and with the other backroom staff gone, its a fresh start, and the players will respond to that - they will now have to buy in to the way that CP does things, the mentality he bestows and the processes he installs, this will take a little time, but I'm almost certain we will see a positive impact on Saturday. (And would have done last week had it not been postponed)

I do worry about peoples expectations. I can't see CP turning things around straight away (I hope I'm wrong) if at all. It seems to me having read posts on here that, most believe he will.

His love (and ours) for each other could turn sour if the results don't go our way.

As I said, I really hope I'm wrong.

Back