• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chris Powell's transfer business - a retrospective

I
bluesfansince1952 wrote:

"Sam Barratt: a sad and unlucky tale. He looked like he might be a useful acquisition during the pre season but then went down with a serious knee injury. By the time he was fit enough to play again chaos reigned at the club, and, his confidence needed rebuilding after such a serious injury. MM likes speedy forwards (would he have loved Wayne Gray or not?), and, he was let go at the beginning of this season which I thought was a shame as I love a long throw in."

You should love Greg Halford then. He has a long throw that is fast and with a low trajectory, rather different to Ryan Leonard's slower, loopy long throws and thus more effective.

I guess Rory Delap had one of the longest long throws and they led to many goals. There was a player for Stockport back in the day who had a really long throw too but I can't remember his name. I hope that Halford will be able to use his long throws to assist in scoring many goals for us this season (assuming he is retained).
I am already giving Greg the benefit of any doubts because of the long throw in!
It can really be a weapon at this level especially late in proceedings if we are pushing for a win or chasing a game.
I love seeing a guy with a long throw in on the bench as it gives a team an extra option.

Are you thinking of Dave Challinor at Tranmere (Tranmere/Stockport - all northern)?

Last year we had so many long throw experts - Shaughnessy, Barratt, Milligan..

That's right. Dave Challinor. Thanks! I remember him firing in Exocet long throws in a televised FA Cup match which led to a couple of goals if memory serves.....He played for both Tranmere and Stockport.

I see a few of he old myths about CP have appeared again. Bern Clarkson had more players to work with than CP had in training. Thats why they weren't at the right fitness levels, he couldn't afford to push the players. Jogging, sprints and keep ball are fine but you need proper game time (including training) to really achieve a top level.

That means he was left with a team that players were never going to look good in because we were struggling for points. Their was no place in that squad for Wordsworth for the simple reason we had Dru. And no its not his fault that Dru had problems in the summer or the ref gave Sunderland an amnesty to kick him off the park. In 5 days we had lost Hopper, Lennon, with a leg break rather than some mystery pull that some almost accuse him off in a doubting tone. Then Coker gets carried of at the Sunderland game.

If we go back to the end the previous season v Bristol R on the last day. The irony is that when Dru went off with the injury, in the same game Wordsworth was playing for a contract out on the left. He sulked and put minimal effort in, so sealed his own fait. As for Timlin, I wont go into details but his fists are the reason he was released. Besides most of you thought he was useless on the ball and have forgotten him arguing with fans in his last season.

Anyway even with all the above had Hopper or Humph had not got their injuries then we would have never been in trouble. Both were excellent signings and could have done really well for us. They could have been just behind Stan and Freddy as the best in the last 40 years. They didn't cost anything, they were signed in the same season and we have made money on them.

As for CP not being a good manger. He signed virtually new squad for Charlton and took them from a bottom half finish in L1 to champions the next season. His signings and his style got the results.

So as for 'to nice'....Sometimes its your child or your grandchild that is the problem not the teacher.....I have always felt football and life are much closer than most believe. We now live in a world of blame someone else at all costs. Well how about dealing with the wrong behaviour in the first place. That may save a lot of misery down the line a few decent people their job in the first place.

Im glad he has a good job without the pressure at Spurs and he is the first on my team sheet in any all time Southend 11...Other slots are debatable but not the LB.
Great post riggers

That's right. Dave Challinor. Thanks! I remember him firing in Exocet long throws in a televised FA Cup match which led to a couple of goals if memory serves.....He played for both Tranmere and Stockport.

Don’t forget Anton Otulakowski’s handstand/somersault throw - I don’t think he ever tried it in a game though....

Back