• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TMWLT

Banned
had to work today in london, due to a exciting tender at work(you know the type red and shiny with bells)anyway, I wandered along oxford street at lunchtime to buy some speedos for the forthcoming tour of our colonies. and step after step I was assaulted by these awful chuggers.

first off - oxfam, nope I dont want to donate £25.00 a month to help a village in africa,to have clean water, after all once they get fit and well what happens, come to england enjoy our benefits

red cross - nope made sure during ww2 that the parcels for our pows in germany didnt get to their destinations, sat on by the so called neutrals in switzerland

abolish slavery- I pointed out to one of the chuggers, that surely slavery should be brought back, everyone could do with a slave, doing the mundane jobs like shoeshining etc

nspcc- well I said a slap across the backside of a child never did any harm look my son for example

quite frankly if i want to giveto charity then i wouldnt in a million years signup to some one in th estreet would you

had to work today in london, due to a exciting tender at work(you know the type red and shiny with bells)anyway, I wandered along oxford street at lunchtime to buy some speedos for the forthcoming tour of our colonies. and step after step I was assaulted by these awful chuggers.

first off - oxfam, nope I dont want to donate £25.00 a month to help a village in africa,to have clean water, after all once they get fit and well what happens, come to england enjoy our benefits

red cross - nope made sure during ww2 that the parcels for our pows in germany didnt get to their destinations, sat on by the so called neutrals in switzerland

abolish slavery- I pointed out to one of the chuggers, that surely slavery should be brought back, everyone could do with a slave, doing the mundane jobs like shoeshining etc

nspcc- well I said a slap across the backside of a child never did any harm look my son for example

quite frankly if i want to giveto charity then i wouldnt in a million years signup to some one in th estreet would you

Especially when a lot of these are on commission!

I've never forgotten being asked by somebody in the Job Centre many years ago if I would be interested in working for a charity getting donations. The money was obscene for a charity! I will never donate to anybody asking!

Slighty different , but you can't have a drink outside a pub in and around spitalfield area without at least 10 or so beggers per night hassling you, its a ****ing wind up , if it aint enough that the pubs are charging over £3.50 a pint , some cheeky ****er wants you to give him money .

Theres only one that i'd even think about giving money to as at least he try's to be humerous by stating that he is saving up to go on holiday to Barbados !!!

I suggest they go inside and ask the theiving b8stards that charge you that much for a pint , surely they can afford the odd Alan Wicker he and there :madman:

Kind of interesting this has come up...always wanted to say something about these people but kind of feel bad, with them being related to a charity and all - but enough is enough IMO. There is one street in Limerick called Cruises Street - It's a pedestrianised street, with the big name shops all along it.

Anyways, it is notorious for being littered with people trying to get you to sign up for various things. Its gotten so bad, that most people don't actually go to that street anymore. I went one day and got stopped by a woman - I informed her i give money monthly to Oxfam, and as im a student can't afford more than that. She followed me for 5 minutes telling me i could...absolutely crazy behaviour. As a result I avoid going into the city centre completely now - something really needs to be done, because these people and charities involved are really taking the ****

i can kind of understand people issue with this... the fact that they are paid by commission to raise money for charity is a bit of a moral issue for me. many are extremely good causes, and do terrific work, but i find it hard to be persuaded by a student trying to get a few extra pennies on a day off by standing in the highstreet and wanting to get a fiver for each 'sale' he/she makes

"Have you got ten minutes for cancer research?"
I started a monthly donation to these people but after a few months got weekly phone calls asking me to donate more. In the end it just became annoying, so I cancelled the direct debit and any charity donations I do now go to Guide dogs for the blind, who are always ever so grateful for anything you can offer, and are helping blind people in theis country.

Funy thing is since i stoppped giving to the Cancer thing, they dont phone anymore.

Donate 30 pound to British Legion every month, and the great thing is, at work they double it - so i pay 30 and my work pay 60 - so RBL get 90 a month which is fantastic!!!!!!!

Donate 30 pound to British Legion every month, and the great thing is, at work they double it - so i pay 30 and my work pay 60 - so RBL get 90 a month which is fantastic!!!!!!!

Have nothing but praise for the RBL after the way they treated my grandad in his last years :clap: :'(

Its people like J and his company who keep them going as they run on donations

I wouldnt sign up to a charity in the streetm, and being honest i can't exactly afford to donate on a regular basis.

I do my fair bit though, ive done a couple of Bungee Jumps for Meningitus Trust and am planning on doing something bigger withen the next two years like a marathon.

Theres only one that i'd even think about giving money to as at least he try's to be humerous by stating that he is saving up to go on holiday to Barbados !!!

I think I know the homeless guy you mean. Relatively young with a dark beard, right? Last month he stopped me with the immortal line "Scuse me guv, could you lend me £450 for a night at the Ritz with a couple of hookers?"

Like you I normally don't give to those who ask but he made me laugh when I didn't feel close to even grinning so I broke my own rule for him.

This homeless guy asked me for money the other day.
I was about to give it to him and then I thought he was going to use it on drugs or alcohol.
And then I thought, that's what I'm going to use it on.
Why am I judging this poor *******.
People love to judge homeless guys. Like if you give them money they're just going to waste it.
Well, he lives in a box, what do you want him to do? Save it up and buy a wall unit?
Take a little run to the store for a throw rug and a CD rack? He's homeless.
I walked behind this guy the other day.
A homeless guy asked him for money.
He looks right at the homeless guy and says why don't you go get a job you bum.
People always say that to homeless guys like it is so easy.
This homeless guy was wearing his underwear outside his pants.
Outside his pants. I'm guessing his resume isn't all up to date.
I'm predicting some problems during the interview process.
I'm pretty sure even McDonalds has a "underwear goes inside the pants" policy.
Not that they enforce it really strictly, but technically I'm sure it is on the books.

(c) Someone funny and not me.

Chuggers should be banned. They're a total nightmare.
They are so forceful up here that they interrupt your phone calls if you're on your mobile (I guess that's because a lot of people have "pretended" to be making a call).

I started a monthly donation to these people but after a few months got weekly phone calls asking me to donate more. In the end it just became annoying, so I cancelled the direct debit and any charity donations I do now go to Guide dogs for the blind, who are always ever so grateful for anything you can offer, and are helping blind people in this country.

Funy thing is since i stoppped giving to the Cancer thing, they dont phone anymore.

I do donate to Cancer Research, but I'd never choose to do any charity donations through those chugging muppets.

Blind guides for the dogs is an excellent cause too - good on you sir.

I wouldnt sign up to a charity in the streetm, and being honest i can't exactly afford to donate on a regular basis.

I do my fair bit though, ive done a couple of Bungee Jumps for Meningitus Trust and am planning on doing something bigger withen the next two years like a marathon.

This is the same for me. I cant really afford to put money to charity on a regular basis. However I did a run for charity yesterday and am now going to keep on raising money for my charity - The Childrens Society, by doing more races. I cant afford to do it out of my own pocket but am happy to put myself out for the experience of the race and knowing that I am raising money for a good cause in the process. I also hope to compete in a marathon in the next couple years too.

The thing to realise is, that people will donate if they can afford it, if they want to, and in there own way. One things for sure is that no amount of harrassing on the streets or the phone is going to change anyone. People that want to donate already do and the people that dont certainly wont be emotionally blackmailed into it!

Back