• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Clark Masters to Grimsby?

I agree. He had a dodgy start at Southend, but I think he's much better. If the defence performs in front of him, he can too. I saw Clark Masters in a few pre-season friendlies and he has nowhere near the level of penalty area command which Mildenhall possesses. England's Number One!

Their reserve game has been called off so he won't get the chance to impress. I'd get him back down the motorway and play him tonight at Canvey to see if regular football has improved him. He's been first choice at Welling since he went there and has played in a couple of big games for them.

I admit at the start of the season i was big Mildenhall critic but i think since Ads went back to Reading, Steve has been so much better. Hats off to him. He proved me wrong.

I agree. He had a dodgy start at Southend, but I think he's much better. If the defence performs in front of him, he can too. I saw Clark Masters in a few pre-season friendlies and he has nowhere near the level of penalty area command which Mildenhall possesses. England's Number One!

Mildenhall is useless,1 of our biggest problems this season.(along with many others)
If you think Mildenhall comands his area you dont see many games
from Sheffield,Clark Masters was the best out the 3 in pre season,i went to them all,Mildenhall dives over everything,funny how the same defence was fine with Feds,(thats why we went up to 5th).
We need a new keeper!

Last edited:
Mildenhall is useless,1 of our biggest problems this season.(along with many others)
from Sheffield,Clark Masters was the best out the 3 in pre season,i went to them all,Mildenhall dives over everything,funny how the same defence was fine with Feds,(thats why we went up to 5th).
We need a new keeper!

Tosh :madman:

any other comment?

Yes, sorry for being so dismissive without justifying myself. I'm not sure it's fair to blame the whole lot on Mildy when we were playing so much better as a unit. We are now very low on confidence without a proper attacking outlet with the result that the entire defensive unit is tested. Yes, Feds was clearly a better keeper (he's got a new Reading contract for a reason) but Mildenhall will prove to be perfectly good enough for us.

We need a new keeper!

If Clark Masters was the best goalkeeper in pre-season, why was he included in the youth team friendlies against the likes of Witham Town? If Clark Masters was the best goalkeeper at the Club why didn't he start as Number 1?

Mildenhall is the best goalkeeper we have and is of a good League One standard. Don't seem to recall you saying this when his save earnt us a replay against Chelsea...

I've got to disagree with you, hindle_666 - and by the way, I've been to 17 games this season including four friendlies!

I have calculated that in all competitions...

Adam Federici has conceded 15 goals in 10 games (average 1.5 per game)
Steve Mildenhall has conceded 39 goals in 23 games (average 1.7 per game)
Ian Joyce has conceded 3 goals in 1 game (average 3.0 per game)

Therefore, there really isn't much difference between Federici and Mildenhall's record - in fact, take out the cups and you're left with league games...

Adam Federici has conceded 15 goals in 10 games (average 1.5 per game)
Steve Mildenhall has conceded 26 goals in 16 games (average 1.6 per game)
Ian Joyce has conceded 3 goals in 1 game (average 3.0 per game)

My conclusion: the same defence was not fine with Federici or Mildenhall. We either have awful goalkeepers or a poor back four - I know what I think, it's the latter.

We need new defenders, not goalkeepers!

P.S. Maybe send Clark Masters out on loan to Grimsby until the end of the season...

Everyone is intitled in there own opinion.
However with Feds in goal the team was better as a unit and thats because the team,mainly the defence had far more confidence in him as a gk.(also the same six players have been used at the back this season)
In the ten games Feds played we picked up 16 points over half our current season tally.
With Mildenhall we have picked up 12 points from the 15 games he played.
If he was in goal for 45 matches at that rate we would pick up 36 points.
which would certainly send any team down.
If you watch our defence theres no confidence in mildenhall at all,
they dont know wheather his gonna come for the ball(chelsea,yeovil prime recent examples),a joke considering his 6ft 5 and with arm reach has 9 ft on any striker,and the fact he was brought in as a tall keeper who commands his area.
It says somthing that he's been released from oldham,notts county,grimsby,they cant all be wrong.
Im fed up with wondering whether his gonna come for the ball,dive over shots,or try to catch with his hands back to front.
people say the goals are rarely his thought,whys a keeper there?
1 good save at chelsea is not good enough in 23 games.
IMO we need a new gk and fast.

Ps; Ive watched Joyce in the reserves and hes worse,Feds was 2 good granted,and Masters was the best of a very bad bunch in pre season,
certainly not the best we got,that title goes to Mildenhall yes he is the best of a bad bunch.
But should we be lumbered with him? unfortunatly we are.

I don't think we've got much of a choice now! But it's an interesting point you make about us picking up far more points with Federici in goal than Mildenhall - and this could well be because...
a) Feds makes the whole team more confident
b) we had all our great loan players when Feds was playing (Sawyer, Robson-Kanu etc)
c) The defence was playing much better as a unit when Feds was behind them

But I still think that as we were conceding roughly the same amount of goals with both keepers, surely it's just coincidence that Feds was here at the same time as we were scoring lots of goals - in a Keegan style of play (you score 3, we'll score 4)!

I don't think we've got much of a choice now! But it's an interesting point you make about us picking up far more points with Federici in goal than Mildenhall - and this could well be because...
a) Feds makes the whole team more confident
b) we had all our great loan players when Feds was playing (Sawyer, Robson-Kanu etc)
c) The defence was playing much better as a unit when Feds was behind them

But I still think that as we were conceding roughly the same amount of goals with both keepers, surely it's just coincidence that Feds was here at the same time as we were scoring lots of goals - in a Keegan style of play (you score 3, we'll score 4)!

Agree entirely. That was the point I was trying to make last night, although I'm not very good at typing on my mobile phone! I think it was largely due to the fact that we were high on confidence and our loanees provided extra threats going forward. We now look bereft of ideas almost as soon as we get into the opposition half, or at least almost never look like threatening the opposition keeper consistently and our entire defensive unit (defenders and keeper come under more pressure).

Now we are on a bad run and without much creativity (although Scannell and Robinson may yet change that for us), our defensive frailties that have been present for the last few years are exposed, putting Mildy (who admittedly is not as good as Federici) under increased pressure.

When Feds was here we had a full strength team with all of our loan signings, no injuries and no suspensions. All the loan signings have gone, we have a stack full of injuries and now somehow its Mildenhalls fault.

Ok he has made a few errors but IMO its not fair that the finger is being pointed at him for all of our problems.

Spot on - there's nothing wrong with Mildenhall, it's the 10 men in front of him that can't do anything right at the moment! 3 goals scored in the last 9 games ain't good. We're never going to win many games if we score an average of one goal every three games, however good the goalkeeper is!

When Feds was here we had a full strength team with all of our loan signings, no injuries and no suspensions. All the loan signings have gone, we have a stack full of injuries and now somehow its Mildenhalls fault.

Ok he has made a few errors but IMO its not fair that the finger is being pointed at him for all of our problems.

I agree.
Funny how things change isnt it.
Chelsea he was a hero. Now hes the scapegoat.
There aint just one player on the pitch. All 11 have to take responsibility.

Back