• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperian

Coach
It is the morning after the afternoon before. I have refrained from posting, or even logging on until now brcause the amount of negative posts and people screaming for people to be dropped depresses me. Sure, we were in the basement division losing 4-0 away to Darlington only 2 years ago, so please ask your self whether you would rather lose 3-0 away at Derby or 4-0 at Darlington? No context surely!!

However, I do have one very serious point to make.

Since Peter Clarke got into the side, the following goals have been conceded through the right back/right side of central defence:Leicester (set piece) 2 v Norwich, 2 v Brighton, 2 v Cardiff and 2 v Derby. Now I am not calling for anyones head. I am simply stating that we seem to concede a lot of goals through this channel. It may be a problem with communication, I do not know, but certainly yesterday Francis was lost without JCR in front of him and covering for him when upfield. The hesitation in Clarkes distribution was alarming and the whole debacle of the first goal, when Clarke went wandering leaving Lupoli with a thirty yard sprint on goal, only for Flavs to push the ball wide, long enough for Francis to get back but then not make a challenge when Lupoli shot. I am afraid that the defending in the last two games is a stark reminder of the days of Macclesfield etc.

The rest has been said already and I do not want to slag any of the team I love. In my view Tilson is a god and whatever team he chooses gets my full backing on the pitch, but afterwards, we have to hold a post mortem.......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Oct. 01 2006,10:37)]The rest has been said already and I do not want to slag any of the team I love.  In my view Tilson is a god and whatever team he chooses gets my full backing on the pitch, but afterwards, we have to hold a post mortem.......
Post Mortems are for the dead , I would prefer the word "inquiry" myself as we are a bit stunned at the moment , not dead.

Shrimperian. Good post. A bit of analysis, an idea of what might be happening and a suggestion for improvement. So much better than so and so is crap and the old one that drives me demented of "we lacked passion" whatever that is.
Great stuff. let's have more of it.

I don't think anyone can dispute the fact that (save from that 10mins spell at Palace) we were defending a LOT better before Clarke came into the side and with that in mind and given that he is the only change to the back 5 in that time I think he should be dropped to the bench for the time being.

Good post. And this is the team I would like to see come Coventry on the 13th because I do believe a lot of our problems of late have been about the understanding of the players around you, next to you etc etc.

Taken as pairings:

Francis with JCR in front of him. As said JCR covers well for Francis when he pushes up field.

Sodje and Barret in the middle of defence. A pairing that worked very well last season with Barret clearing up the balls on the floor and Sodje's superior heading abilities.

Hammell with Gower in front of him. Both like to push forward but both capable of tracking back to cover the other.

Maher and Gutts. The only pairing I'm a little dubious about considering Gutts downturn in form at the moment.

Ricketts and Eastwood. Give me 60/70 minutes of Ricketts with his experience and first touch and I think Eastwood will find far more space than he's currently getting due to defenders having a job coping with the big mans abilities.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Oct. 01 2006,11:05)]Good post. And this is the team I would like to see come Coventry on the 13th because I do believe a lot of our problems of late have been about the understanding of the players around you, next to you etc etc.

Taken as pairings:

Francis with JCR in front of him. As said JCR covers well for Francis when he pushes up field.

Sodje and Barret in the middle of defence. A pairing that worked very well last season with Barret clearing up the balls on the floor and Sodje's superior heading abilities.

Hammell with Gower in front of him. Both like to push forward but both capable of tracking back to cover the other.

Maher and Gutts. The only pairing I'm a little dubious about considering Gutts downturn in form at the moment.

Ricketts and Eastwood. Give me 60/70 minutes of Ricketts with his experience and first touch and I think Eastwood will find far more space than he's currently getting due to defenders having a job coping with the big mans abilities.
I'd agree with that other than perhaps Gutts and Ricketts. For me Luke needs to be made to fight his way back in. One lacklustre Reserve performance shouldn't get him back in the side straight away. He needs to know he's got a fight on his hands as to me, he's a player who will relax if he thinks he's an automatic choice.

Then with Ricketts, I'm not sure it'd be wise to start him yet. As he's said himself he's still in an awful lot of discomfort. 25 - 30 minutes will probably do him for the next month.

My team for Coventry therefore would be:

Flahavan

Francis
Sodje
Barrett
Hammell

Campbell-Ryce
Maher
Hunt
Gower

Eastwood
Hooper

Subs: Collis, Harrold, Ricketts, Guttridge, Clarke

Yes I would drop Paynter from the squad to accommodate the return of Harrold.

I actually think Clarke will be a good signing, but our back four is 75% different from last season, and the best defences around tend to be the most settled ones who have played together a while, so maybe this is the problem.

I was surprised at JCR being dropped yesterday as i think when you are playing away from home and under a lot of heavy pressure he can provide the perfect outlet to relieve this, even if it means him going on one of his mazy runs.

god everyones so depressed.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dloman @ Oct. 01 2006,11:40)]I actually think Clarke will be a good signing, but our back four is 75% different from last season, and the best defences around tend to be the most settled ones who have played together a while, so maybe this is the problem.

I was surprised at JCR being dropped yesterday as i think when you are playing away from home and under a lot of heavy pressure he can provide the perfect outlet to relieve this, even if it means him going on one of his mazy runs.
Spot on - I've said the same about Clarke. You dont get the kind of response to a player leaving like the Blackpool fans gave for Clarke - but, at the minute its not happening.

I think he will be a great asset and he does show some real class at times, but defensively at the moment there is a problem.

Same with JCR, whether he produces a final ball or not, away from home he is a hard worker up and down the pitch.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footychick @ Oct. 01 2006,11:41)]god everyones so depressed.
sad.gif
I'm not
wink.gif
I'm as happy as the preverbial pig in poo
biggrin.gif
although having to get up at 4.30am in the morning is starting to put the kybosh on that.

And no Top Gear tonight either
sad.gif

And I've run out of backie
sad.gif

And my immersion heater has just packed up
sad.gif

Give me another couple of hours, I'm getting there
sad.gif

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My team for Coventry therefore would be:

Flahavan
Francis
Sodje
Barrett
Hammell
Campbell-Ryce
Maher
Hunt
Gower
Eastwood
Hooper
Subs: Collis, Harrold, Ricketts, Guttridge, Clarke
I would agree mostly but Hunt is not a central midfield player. Guttridge is and he is the type of player who has to play his way back into some good form.

I cant understand why so many want Hooper in the side. Harrold has been more impressive and will be a better partner for Fred. If he is still injured then we must go with Ricketts. Even with a question mark over his fitness, its better to start him with a view to taking him off, than bringing him on to find he is not fit enough. Substitution wasted.

I'm glad there's a two week break now, Sodje and Harrold should both be fit by then and we should in theory (excluding Badbuy) have a full strength squad. I'm defintely of the opinion to drop Clarke for Sodje and also i would give Collis a start for this one. Hooper looked more affective on the right and maybe Ricketts could do 60mins and swap with Harrold or Paynter.

Thanks for the support to the post guys. I would stress and agree with others that I think Clarke will be a great signing in time, as I also do about JCR and Hooper. The only thing else I think that Tilly might want to consider is bringing in a midfileder on loan from one of the Prem clubs. Everyone else seems to have at least one prem loanee and they are murdering us at the moment. I am sure that one of the London clubs must have someone who could use a bit of match practice, even if its only for a couple of months

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo1 @ Oct. 01 2006,11:59)]I cant understand why so many want Hooper in the side. Harrold has been more impressive and will be a better partner for Fred. If he is still injured then we must go with Ricketts. Even with a question mark over his fitness, its better to start him with a view to taking him off, than bringing him on to find he is not fit enough. Substitution wasted.
I like Hooper as a player, he seems to have a lot of potential and when we've introduced him as a sub he's done well on most occaisions (especially against Brighton and Norwich). This is why people wanted him to start.

He's not ready to start yet, though, because he doesn't have enough experience at this level. He's also, as people have said, a bit similar to Freddy and makes similar runs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Oct. 01 2006,10:37)]It is the morning after the afternoon before. I have refrained from posting, or even logging on until now brcause the amount of negative posts and people screaming for people to be dropped depresses me. Sure, we were in the basement division losing 4-0 away to Darlington only 2 years ago, so please ask your self whether you would rather lose 3-0 away at Derby or 4-0 at Darlington? No context surely!!

However, I do have one very serious point to make.

Since Peter Clarke got into the side, the following goals have been conceded through the right back/right side of central defence:Leicester (set piece) 2 v Norwich, 2 v Brighton, 2 v Cardiff and 2 v Derby. Now I am not calling for anyones head. I am simply stating that we seem to concede a lot of goals through this channel. It may be a problem with communication, I do not know, but certainly yesterday Francis was lost without JCR in front of him and covering for him when upfield. The hesitation in Clarkes distribution was alarming and the whole debacle of the first goal, when Clarke went wandering leaving Lupoli with a thirty yard sprint on goal, only for Flavs to push the ball wide, long enough for Francis to get back but then not make a challenge when Lupoli shot. I am afraid that the defending in the last two games is a stark reminder of the days of Macclesfield etc.

The rest has been said already and I do not want to slag any of the team I love. In my view Tilson is a god and whatever team he chooses gets my full backing on the pitch, but afterwards, we have to hold a post mortem.......
Some good points there. I agree with you about Clarke's distribution being hesitant. That smacks of a lack of confidence to me.

Our defensive troubles are down to more than one man. We've been down this route before, when at the start of the season everyone was screaming for Clarke to replace Prior as the panacea for all our woes.

I think Francis struggled because he wasn't getting the support from Hunt. Hunt had to go inside to cover for Guttridge and Maher, both of whom had very poor games by their standards. Hooper doesn't yet have the nous to go and cover for Hunt when Hunt goes inside. Francis would have definitely missed Paynter who had done a lot of unnoticed work tracking back on the flanks.

Always good posts from shrimperian. Might not agree with all of them (most probably) but always balanced and justified.

On a related issue, imagine if we could bring on Ricketts at a time when we're still in the game.

Back