• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Clarke, who are you kidding?

yeah it didn't look like a clear foul, just that clarke was close up behind and then the striker went down. the problem is that sometimes they are given and sometimes they arent, clarke isn't known for being particularly gentle in the box (along with barrett), and so we're going to give things away.

just looked at the highlights. Wonderful, wonderful goal from Freedman.TBH the type of player who people will want to see and pay money just to watch. Clarke's push totally unnecessary Why do players do this? No danger, a long hopeful punt to no one in particular, away from home with a partisan crowed behind the goal. Well they say footballers are thick.

From where we were seated it looked nailed-on. Both Clarke's hands made contact with the back of the attacker, and the guy went over. There's no way anyone other than those two could tell how much force was in the shove; I'd have given it!

I personally get tired of the wrestling matches that seem to go on in the box. Pushing and shoving, and shirt-pulling seem to be an accepted part of the game; perhaps if refs were more consistent in penalising it then we'd see it stop.

Why do players do this?
Thats a bit harsh on players.

The post from the Carlisle fan said he thought our defender must be stupid, just barging someone in the back like that.

Clarke has been doing this for ages and often getting away with it. I find it particularly annoying when he does it in our opponents box when we have a corner so we just end any chance of scoring by conceding a free kick.

From where we were seated it looked nailed-on. Both Clarke's hands made contact with the back of the attacker, and the guy went over. There's no way anyone other than those two could tell how much force was in the shove; I'd have given it!

I personally get tired of the wrestling matches that seem to go on in the box. Pushing and shoving, and shirt-pulling seem to be an accepted part of the game; perhaps if refs were more consistent in penalising it then we'd see it stop.

That, I think is the crux of the argument. We see this happen time and time again and it does not get penalised anywhere near enough. Obviously it can be difficult to spot the difference between simulation on the part of an attacking player and a genuine foul but I've lost track of the number of times I've seen Barney fouled in a similar manner and nothing has been given. Consistency of decision making by referees is key to increasing respect towards the officials in my opinion.

I've always thought Clarkey was treading a dangerous path though and it was only a matter of time before he was picked up on it so he really only has himself to blame.

That, I think is the crux of the argument. We see this happen time and time again and it does not get penalised anywhere near enough. Obviously it can be difficult to spot the difference between simulation on the part of an attacking player and a genuine foul but I've lost track of the number of times I've seen Barney fouled in a similar manner and nothing has been given. Consistency of decision making by referees is key to increasing respect towards the officials in my opinion.

I've always thought Clarkey was treading a dangerous path though and it was only a matter of time before he was picked up on it so he really only has himself to blame.

Watch Barney closely next time he goes up with a defender. He has this knack of actually getting his arms round behind the defender who is behind him. Referees who take up good positions often spot this which is why apparent fouls on Barney are often not given or given the other way.

Watch Barney closely next time he goes up with a defender. He has this knack of actually getting his arms round behind the defender who is behind him. Referees who take up good positions often spot this which is why apparent fouls on Barney are often not given or given the other way.

true, strikers often clamp their arms over the arms of the defender which can help draw a foul

Having been away for a couple of weeks, I've just caught up with the goals from the away games, and a lot of our problems have stemmed from crosses coming into the box far too easily. This has always been a major failing of Francis, and is something that needs to be addressed sharpish, otherwise we are going to continue to concede the goals that we have so far this season. Having said that, if we can sort this problem out, then I can see us being OK, as no side has really opened us up on a regular basis.

I didn't go to the game. Anyone link me to the highlights?

I see Clarke used the old "If you start giving penalties for that then you're going to end up having four or five in every game" excuse. If it stops defenders pushing, holding and pulling attackers in the box then I'm all for it.

Basically, when i am playing, i am not even allowed to place a hand on there shoulder, its ridiculous, but that did look like a penalty to me, much as i dont want to admit it

I am pleased that people are finally seeing Clarke for the liability that he is, lets just hope its not too long before Tilson comes to his senses and gets someone else in.

Back