• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Classic cars

davewebbsbrain

Webby⭐
Has anyone got a classic car or modern classic tucked away anywhere? Big business nowerdays, even the likes of the Austin Montego are starting to command decent money.

I'm in the process of buying a Mazda MX6, getting quite rare now, just wondered what people had?

Nice. Had a MK1 Golf Gti back in the day and a MK1 Scirocco Storm. Delta's are rare, especially if it's the Gtie, the Turbo or the Integrale
I had a Mk1 Scirocco Storm as well! Great cars to drive, with go kart handling. Mine was Noisette Brown with tan leather. Wish I still had it. Also had a Corrado too. All pre-kids !

I had a 1973 MGB GT in British racing green a couple of years back, big mistake selling it. Would love another classic!

Strangely enough, I was speaking to my missus on Friday, and running a little investment idea by her.

Ford are set to stop making/distributing the Mustang in Europe soon, due to the emissions issues.

The way cars are headed, it won’t be long before a 5.0L V8 monster like that becomes a thing of the past.

As far as muscle/performance cars go, the Mustang isn’t eye-wateringly expensive, retailing at around £40k.

My thinking is, I believe these will become a rare collectors item in decades to come, and If you keep the mileage low, and store it somewhere safe, the value on it is likely to go up significantly.

Anyway, I don’t think she shared my vision, because firstly she asked me if I’d started sh*tting money, and then she told me to grow up. Charming.

Still, I think it’s got legs.

Strangely enough, I was speaking to my missus on Friday, and running a little investment idea by her.

Ford are set to stop making/distributing the Mustang in Europe soon, due to the emissions issues.

The way cars are headed, it won’t be long before a 5.0L V8 monster like that becomes a thing of the past.

As far as muscle/performance cars go, the Mustang isn’t eye-wateringly expensive, retailing at around £40k.

My thinking is, I believe these will become a rare collectors item in decades to come, and If you keep the mileage low, and store it somewhere safe, the value on it is likely to go up significantly.

Anyway, I don’t think she shared my vision, because firstly she asked me if I’d started sh*tting money, and then she told me to grow up. Charming.

Low miles? Hmmmm...
I can just see it now, in 4 years it’ll have 80k on it, it‘ll have gone through several sets of very expensive tyres, been re-mapped and been sideways round every roundabout in Essex! LOL!

And, FWIW; I get told to grow up on a weekly basis by my missus, as I often have similar hair-brained schemes. And she’s always right ;-)

Don't listen.

I have a concours condition Austin Montego that is my pension fund..

Last edited:
Reactions: GBJ
Low miles? Hmmmm...
I can just see it now, in 4 years it’ll have 80k on it, it‘ll have gone through several sets of very expensive tyres, been re-mapped and been sideways round every roundabout in Essex! LOL!

And, FWIW; I get told to grow up on a weekly basis by my missus, as I often have similar hair-brained schemes. And she’s always right ;-)

We didn’t even get to the stage of discussing the maintenance costs of a Mustang.... which was lucky for me, I think ?

Low miles? Hmmmm...

Wives opinions don’t count when it comes to cars, I mean how can you take someone opinion seriously when they don’t find a loud smelly fart funny?

Bloke round the corner to me has a mark one Golf Gti and a Lancia Delta in his garage.
Always wanted an intergrale, nearly bought one on the late nineties when they were reasonable. You need a lottery win now though to own one and keep it on the road

Hardly a “classic”but my son is doing up a 2002. Mazda MX5
It’s his third MX5 and it’s a peach. Brilliant paint which we have machines polished ( no scratches or swirls)
It’s the Svt top of the range ( leather, heated seats, hardtop, bilsteins, 6 speed, hard top)

two owners from new, FSH , 33,000 miles and importantly NO rust. mX5”s rust really badly.
Presently the car is on axle stands with the bumpers and wings off, gearbox,propshaft,sub frames, breaks suspension, interior, petrol tank all out. There is nothing left underneath and he is going to be rustproofing it “properly “ and get Other bits sanvlastedand powedee Coated

he has fited a proper roll bar (99% are for show only), door bars ( properly fitted ),will have poly bushes. Loads of other stuff as well which he can swop out if he sells it ( stereo,coilovers, stainless exhaust,smaller wheels, 4 point harness and race seats)

he was 4 inches from not walking away from an accident a few months ago in a “classic car” so wants it to be as safe as possible.

when finished it will literally be one of the best in the country and will be properly rust proofed

Last edited:
Hardly a “classic”but my son is doing up a 2002. Mazda MX5
It’s his third MX5 and it’s a peach. Brilliant paint which we have machines polished ( no scratches or swirls)
It’s the Svt top of the range ( leather, heated seats, hardtop, bilsteins, 6 speed, hard top)

two owners from new, FSH , 33,000 miles and importantly NO rust. mX5”s rust really badly.
Presently the car is on axle stands with the bumpers and wings off, gearbox,propshaft,sub frames, breaks suspension, interior, petrol tank all out. There is nothing left underneath and he is going to be rustproofing it “properly “ and get Other bits sanvlastedand powedee Coated

he has fited a proper roll bar (99% are for show only), door bars ( properly fitted ),will have poly bushes. Loads of other stuff as well which he can swop out if he sells it ( stereo,coilovers, stainless exhaust,smaller wheels, 4 point harness and race seats)

he was 4 inches from not walking away from an accident a few months ago in a “classic car” so wants it to be as safe as possible.

when finished it will literally be one of the best in the country and will be properly rust proofed

Thats amazing, would love to see pictures when it’s finished.

Classic cars are not good in an accident .
This was my Sons mates car. Genuine John Cooper works, he had only had it one day. This is outside jones memorial heading into Southend earlier this year.
My son was in the passenger seat, the railing missed his head by 3 inches !
To add to that the seatbelt jammed and there was fuel leaking , luckily they all carry an emergency tool To cut seatbelts/ smash glass and a mate following in another car got him out.

they all were ok ( or else I would not be posting), but not the best phone call I have received, and I don’t mind admitting my legs went when I was sent the photos and thought about what might have happened
Interestingly when you google maps the crossing the railing are smashed, so he wasn’t the first to hit it

Attachments

• 8C6DC829-8A7D-4097-B3C8-2BF49695E12E.jpeg
    8C6DC829-8A7D-4097-B3C8-2BF49695E12E.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 28
  • A57ED539-038E-43A4-B511-A897D29E8F38.jpeg
    A57ED539-038E-43A4-B511-A897D29E8F38.jpeg
    544.8 KB · Views: 29
Back