• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Clifford Signs New Deal

That's really excellent news - was very impressed by him last season and think he looked the most convincing left back we've had since Ben Coker was in his prime.

More superb news! Ricky Duncan really should have been given the freedom of Southend by now, for all these brilliant players he’s brought through. It’s reaching Dario Gradi levels in consistency and quality (although to be fair Dario still ahead with David Platt as an England captain, for a start).

More superb news! Ricky Duncan really should have been given the freedom of Southend by now, for all these brilliant players he’s brought through. It’s reaching Dario Gradi levels in consistency and quality (although to be fair Dario still ahead with David Platt as an England captain, for a start).

The amazing thing about Tom Clifford's emergence as a first-team player is how long it took for Clifford to be given a chance at this level. Indeed, I think he was only given that opportunity because of an extraordinary transfer window that saw 8 players depart and no new ones arrive. It leaves me feeling slightly concerned that Sol and his coaching team were relatively slow to spot the tremendous potential of this 20 year old left-back.

Good news and great to see the youngsters signing. Reckon we'll have a very young squad next season!!

It is still crazy to think we signed Andre Blackman as a back up left back instead of just using Clifford.

Also loaning in Layton Nduwkwu instead of just using Eren Kinali, or loaning Ethan Hamilton instead of just using Harry Phillips or Lewis Gard.

Ok, ok Im just ranting now! But all in all great news, the club is slightly moving in the correct direction.

It is still crazy to think we signed Andre Blackman as a back up left back instead of just using Clifford.

Also loaning in Layton Nduwkwu instead of just using Eren Kinali, or loaning Ethan Hamilton instead of just using Harry Phillips or Lewis Gard.

Ok, ok Im just ranting now! But all in all great news, the club is slightly moving in the correct direction.

Gard and I think Phillips were injured at that time but that's an excellent point. Hamilton, Blackman and Ndukwu were all horribly out of their depth and we had better players in the u23s than them.

The amazing thing about Tom Clifford's emergence as a first-team player is how long it took for Clifford to be given a chance at this level. Indeed, I think he was only given that opportunity because of an extraordinary transfer window that saw 8 players depart and no new ones arrive. It leaves me feeling slightly concerned that Sol and his coaching team were relatively slow to spot the tremendous potential of this 20 year old left-back.

Don't think this one is on Sol: I think Clifford was already out on loan - having been given a debut by Powell but completely ignored by Bond and then Waddock - by the time Ron got around to appointing Sol. As an u23 it would be Ricky Duncan/Craig Fagan who would be responsible for tracking his progress out on loan and reporting back to Sol and recommending that he was recalled and promoted to the first team. To the extent it was Ricky Duncan/Craig Fagan at fault, I'd be prepared to give them a pass as they are already in credit.

But we don't know what Clifford would have been like at the start of the season. The loan might have been the thing that improved him. Not saying that is the case, but it's a possibility

This is the key thing for me, from what I've seen the academy players from premiership teams on the whole are no better than what we can produce and are obviously less interested in our club.

In general it's always better to have someone in a team that is working their way up rather than slipping down, the mentality is so important

Back