• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Clifftown road & the advance of technology

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
When one wants to have a moan at modern technology and BW in particular, (I missed 20mins at the start of the match on Saturday and still can't manage to here Feds interview today), reading the article about our Cup match against Worksop in 1922 makes you understand how fortunate we are today. I can tell you that in forty years not much had changed.
How many others on here remember standing, in a crowd, outside the Standard offices in Clifftown Road waiting for a hand-written sheet of paper to be put up in the window to inform the onlookers of our progress in an FA Cup match.
My memories are not that fond, I remember being there for our 3-0 defeat at Southampton in 1959. Four years later and the taste of defeat again, this time more embarrassingly on the imfamous sloping pitch at non-league Yeovil. I remember walking away, not only from the Standard Office but from Southend United for a few years as I found their results having a depressing emotional drain on myself.
So when there is a glitch on BW I would perhaps do well to remember how far we have come over the last decade or so. The ability to be informed about the latest news of my beloved club at the touch of a keyboard. The thrill at listening, when possible, to live commentaries of every match, whilst being a 1000kms from the action. The mind-blowing abity to view our play-off matches against Doncaster, (painful though it may have been), on my computer screen. Then there was the unforgetable
evening, two years ago, when I was able to sit in my living room and watch us defeat Man U, courtesy of a French Satellite Channel.
Yep, I suppose I, like others will continue moaning about BW.....but at the back of my mind I know how really lucky I am.

I remember getting slashed in the Cork n Cheese on September Saturday and staggering around to the Radio Rentals to catch the result - GILLINGHAM 0 SOUTHEND 1

Happily, I went back to the CnC and continued abusing my liver celebrating a surprise away win.

It was only the next morning when I realised I was so sloshed I hadn't realised the "0" was in fact an "8".

I remember getting slashed in the Cork n Cheese on September Saturday and staggering around to the Radio Rentals to catch the result - GILLINGHAM 0 SOUTHEND 1

Happily, I went back to the CnC and continued abusing my liver celebrating a surprise away win.

It was only the next morning when I realised I was so sloshed I hadn't realised the "0" was in fact an "8".

I was at that game, wish I had got smashed and avoided that humilation, we were 4-0 down in half an hour. We pulled one back just after half time to make it 4-1 and thought a comeback was on but Gillingham went down the other end at scored. The next week Gillingham won 10-0 but still didnt do anything that season.

Back