• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Clohessy in talks with League One clubs, but staying with Blues not ruled out

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United’s Sean Clohessy is in talks with several League One clubs over a possible summer switch, but staying with the Shrimpers has not been ruled out.

More...

Still sounds quite promising, in the fact that we just need to up our offer. Come on Ron get Sainsburys to pay his wages :winking:

Still sounds quite promising, in the fact that we just need to up our offer. Come on Ron get Sainsburys to pay his wages :winking:

WAS sounding quite promising until the issue of Sean (quite rightly!) wanting a fair contract. This is Ron we're talking about. Good luck in L1 Sean. :thumbdown::'(

We are not in a position to be engaging in a wage war with League One clubs. It will be a shame to see him go, but if we cannot afford his demands then we have no option but to let him leave with our blessing.

We arent going to match the contract a league one club will offer so it wont be deemed fair to him.

Cant blame him for that but does look like he is gone then.

A month since the season and maybe three or so weeks till players begin to committ to teams and We still haven't got to there or thereabouts what sean is loonking for in terms of a contract offer. or not making the offer official so still in provisional stage. with other sides making concrete offers we are leaving late possibly to the point he'll have no option but to accept something elsewhere.

It's crazy that we've let his contract run our, we should have been tying him to a new deal around xmas/new year time when we were on a fantastic run of form, looking like we were going to get promotion and he would probably have signed. Same goes for Tomlin.

I suspect the quote of not ruling out staying maybe his reps being polite to the Blues fans who voted him player of the year and out of his respect for what has been a decent three seasons for him here and also designed to give Ron a swift kick up the arse in terms of offering him something near to what he wants and making it concrete. As I dsaid yesterday with offers from above level teams giving him more money, and if he has the ambition to test himself at that level and put himself in a better position to win things I simply can't see him staying. Delaying things on an offer here makes us look like we are not desperate to keep him so unfortunately I can see only one outcome. That he will depart.

It's crazy that we've let his contract run our, we should have been tying him to a new deal around xmas/new year time when we were on a fantastic run of form, looking like we were going to get promotion and he would probably have signed. Same goes for Tomlin.

Sounds logical but Don't think we were in any financial fit state to do this then. Possibly regrettably its lookin like we're struggling in this dept now.

It was a good point a poster on here said yestetday that we are only about to hit June so still maybe time to negotiate. But As said also there were 2 extra weeks free at the season's end as it finished with a week to spare in april so my view is the club should very much be talking deeply in terms of an official concrete offer having been made and with that persuading him to stay but it seems we are only at the provisional stage with him which with the season ending earlier for me isn't good enough. Tad concerning Tonlin hasn't signed and has said nothing. Cresswell appears despite a year to go on his deal he'd be tempted back up north if offers come in. Timlin' has off pitch worries but has he been offered something to consider if hes able to play. Bentley is the only one who said he may be close to re-signing but till he does, and i think he is a fine prospect, then i won't get my hopes up too much. Rememver Scannell saying he was on the brink of signing for us again for a while then in the end ended up at Dadenham. With a youth player having signed and with a lengthy embargo presumably in place it might look like we will be dependant on more youthies than is necessary. If of course those offered deals end up leaving.

I believe that Phil Brown, to his credit, has already stated that should have been the case...

I believe that Phil Brown, to his credit, has already stated that should have been the case...

correct.. But then I would ask Uncle Ronald why he didn't try and begin the re-signing process of not just clohessy but tomlin, bentley etc around christmas time. and maybe regularly keep in close contact with cresswell to see if he was deep down unsettled.

Perhaps the most telling phrase from today's article?

"Southend have been making the right noises and saying the right things about wanting to keep Sean but they’ve yet to back that up with the type of contract they’ve been offering,” added the source.

"Southend have been making the right noises and saying the right things about wanting to keep Sean but they’ve yet to back that up with the type of contract they’ve been offering,” added the source.

why I hinted that this appears to be all wind and water and hot air but no real substance as of yet. Isn't this just typical of Mr Ronald. Sean has been too good a player here and so doesn't deserve to be mucked around which would appear disrespectful to his commitment that hes shown.

Also hope these hot air comments isn't related to the supposed offeres made to the other out of contract players.

why I hinted that this appears to be all wind and water and hot air but no real substance as of yet. Isn't this just typical of Mr Ronald. Sean has been too good a player here and so doesn't deserve to be mucked around which would appear disrespectful to his commitment that hes shown.

Is it really about mucking him about or showing disrespect or more down to the fact that we haven't got a pot to **** in and can't compete with paying League 1 wages?

Back