• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Quite strong rumours linking him to them but then it seems Gillingham are in the mix as well and I would expect him to be looking for a League One side.

Oxford would be a surprise. Bit of a sideways move. Perhaps a few quid more in the pay packet though?...

I do expect him to go though, along with Tomlin. With question marks also over Cresswell & Corr.

Another summer re-build coming up I feel.

If he joins oxford that's a joke. Wouldn't hold a grudge on him for leaving for a decent league one side, but if he signs for Oxford I can only think it's for money, And if that is the case I will lose all respect for the man.

If he joins oxford that's a joke. Wouldn't hold a grudge on him for leaving for a decent league one side, but if he signs for Oxford I can only think it's for money, And if that is the case I will lose all respect for the man.
Why?! His ambition to play in L1 would be for a better wage as well.

If he moves on to a better deal then that's fine by me. We're skint and may not be able to compete with what Oxford can offer, sadly.

Again, if someone offered you more money to do the same job would you say no?

Bit of a sideways move really. Would be surprised as I reckon he could play in league one.

Me too. I would lose all respect for anyone who moved jobs for more money. It's an outrage.

Can't really blame him wherever he goes. He's been a good servant for us but he's 26 now and will want to have the best chance of progressing his career.

Loyalties.

Why should he be loyal? Are you loyal to your employer or would you move jobs for more money?

Sean Clohessy isn't from Southend and he isn't a Southend United fan. He has no reason to be loyal. He needs to do what is best for his career and if Oxford offer him more money and/or he believes that they're more likely to be competative in the division than we are then why would he stay here?

EDIT - not that I'm suggesting that all of our players should feel free to walk out on the club whenever a better offer comes in. But the Club gave the guy a contract and he has served that contract and served it well. If he now decides to move elsewhere then that's disappointing but that's the way football is nowadays.

Why should he be loyal? Are you loyal to your employer or would you move jobs for more money?

Sean Clohessy isn't from Southend and he isn't a Southend United fan. He has no reason to be loyal. He needs to do what is best for his career and if Oxford offer him more money and/or he believes that they're more likely to be competative in the division than we are then why would he stay here?

On the same basis, what loyalty have we shown him if we've failed to give him a contract worthy of his consistency and performance?

Loyalties.

Such a naive view.

League Two footballers dont earn a lot and then retire at 33 or so.

Why should any player stay at a club and earn less money.

If its about money and he is worth keeping we should ensure his ' loyalty' by offering him competitive terms, if we cant match Oxfords budget then cant blame him for moving on.

Back