• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Well, as I understand it, the decision has been taken to close the Live Chat thread.

I won't begin to even attempt to understand why something so innocuous provoked such an anti feeling amongst so many, was it because they were somehow threatened by the good natured banter that went on and felt that went wholly against the edgy image generated by the keyboard warriors? As with any thread on here you have the choice to read it or not so if you didn't like it why read it - and that goes for the mods too. I'm well aware that some didn't like it but others did so it could have been left for them to moderate.

As I see it, this is a big mistake, the Zone is fast becoming a depressing place to be and yet more and more bleak, disillusional threads are being created. Very few of the old "clique" now remain, most have been driven away by certain individuals, so it was natural that the Live Chat thread would not be used as much however it was still used.

For those of us who have frequent recourse to be around in the early hours, the Live Chat thread was always somewhere where you would expect to find someone to while away some time while sleep was beyond you. It was somewhere we did planning and arranging, gave help or advice.

I for one, am very sorry to see it's demise - farewell old friend

2206_mourning_over_dead_friend1.gif

At least I didn't delete it like the demise of the first one. So you can still read any of the 500+ pages if & when you want to. Also, if it's so missed why has it taken almost 5 hours for there to be any furore about it getting shut? Why aren't their hordes of posters sending all the mods threatening emails & PMs to open it up again?

Sorry, but as I've said to others (& to you on FB) it had to go. There was no need for it to keep being resurrected.

It wasn't used, how many pages in The Pub did you have to scroll down to find it anyway? It wasn't random, like the first one that had a whole load of spark & pure comedy in it. It was a pale imitation, something that you can't analyse why but it's just not right, but there's just that vital ingredient missing (sounds a bit like the Southend midfield to be honest just now).

Anyway, if SZ is such a depressing place just now surely a lot of that is down to how our beloved football club is living through some of it's darkest ever times, not just the dramatic "nasty poster X is forcing me & others out" line?

Personally, this is me & not the moderator speaking so I say all this from my own perspective, the way I see it is this. There are one or two individuals on this site who for whatever reason cling to it, like it's all they've got left. Encouraging them to keep returning as a number of others consistently do is not right & I'd say if trends that are becoming evident to me are not nipped in the bud then a situation that led to me becoming self-exiled from SZ for 5 months will happen to a few other posters soon (& from what you're saying, I can see that possibly might be you). All I can say to people on both sides of this equation is the advice & opinion that people have said to me & also to other people when they've possibly gone too far. "It's only a website!"

Well Rich, as you'll know my post here was rather more moderate than my tone on FB. I'm disappointed that the persistent nagging by probably a handful of people has resulted in its closure, and I'm equally sure that the majority will be on here tomorrow gloating about it. I'm amazed that such obviously well educated people felt so threatened by something so trivial.

At least I didn't delete it like the demise of the first one. So you can still read any of the 500+ pages if & when you want to. Also, if it's so missed why has it taken almost 5 hours for there to be any furore about it getting shut? Why aren't their hordes of posters sending all the mods threatening emails & PMs to open it up again?

Sorry, but as I've said to others (& to you on FB) it had to go. There was no need for it to keep being resurrected.

It wasn't used, how many pages in The Pub did you have to scroll down to find it anyway? It wasn't random, like the first one that had a whole load of spark & pure comedy in it. It was a pale imitation, something that you can't analyse why but it's just not right, but there's just that vital ingredient missing (sounds a bit like the Southend midfield to be honest just now).

Anyway, if SZ is such a depressing place just now surely a lot of that is down to how our beloved football club is living through some of it's darkest ever times, not just the dramatic "nasty poster X is forcing me & others out" line?

Personally, this is me & not the moderator speaking so I say all this from my own perspective, the way I see it is this. There are one or two individuals on this site who for whatever reason cling to it, like it's all they've got left. Encouraging them to keep returning as a number of others consistently do is not right & I'd say if trends that are becoming evident to me are not nipped in the bud then a situation that led to me becoming self-exiled from SZ for 5 months will happen to a few other posters soon (& from what you're saying, I can see that possibly might be you). All I can say to people on both sides of this equation is the advice & opinion that people have said to me & also to other people when they've possibly gone too far. "It's only a website!"

I don't see any reason for it to be closed, either.

All I can say is to reinforce what Kay has posted and that just because some posters have taken a break from the Zone - who's to say they're not going to return?

I don't see any reason for it to be closed, either.

If I was an owner and not just a moderator I'd see if posts that went a certain amount of time as inactive then locked themselves. This would stop the pointless resurrection of a whole variety of threads that people seem to do if they're bored. From a moderators perspective if somebody wanted to add something specific to an old expired argument then they could request whatever thread was reopened*

* - this obviously wouldn't apply in the case of the LCT as already discussed why have it to ask random minor questions/queries? Just start a new thread!

If I was an owner and not just a moderator I'd see if posts that went a certain amount of time as inactive then locked themselves. This would stop the pointless resurrection of a whole variety of threads that people seem to do if they're bored. From a moderators perspective if somebody wanted to add something specific to an old expired argument then they could request whatever thread was reopened*

* - this obviously wouldn't apply in the case of the LCT as already discussed why have it to ask random minor questions/queries? Just start a new thread!

I'd agree about the locking of old threads after a certain amount of time however, I'm sure I recall SBH saying that the continuous opening of new threads all the time took up too make space on the server - or some such computer speak - meaning it was actually far better to keep using the one place.

I'm not having a pop at you Rich as such, I just think it's a ridiculously petty decision to have made.

It's was being likened to a tart that sent me over the edge :madman:

Well you are a tart! I've told you that many a time - and there we go, that's exactly why it was good.

And it wasn't even you I called a tart but all those on page 515 (with the exception of Harry) that were being vocal about locking it.

Last edited:
Very few of the old "clique" now remain, most have been driven away by certain individuals, so it was natural that the Live Chat thread would not be used as much however it was still used.

This made me chuckle, it is the way of the zone!

I could say the same about the really old clique - Westcliff Shrimper, McScriven, Axe, Snowy, Ninja, Steveh, Leeboy

Not so old clique - Einstein, Daisy, Bath Shrimper, Prodigal Son

In the life of the Zone your little group were relatively newcomers, and no doubt your 'clique' will be superceded by another bunch who become close.

For whatever reason people leave, there is not point holding onto the past, just accept that things always evolve and maybe try to evolve with it.

Last edited:
For whatever reason people leave, there is not point holding onto the past, just accept that things always evolve and maybe try to evolve with it.

But if people enjoyed it why close it? If you didnt enjoy it you didnt have to look at it. That's no reason to spoil other peoples enjoyment.

I couldn't give too hoots about the Live Chat Thread, but I do know how to run an internet forum.

If there is a reason to close something, ie its offensive, libellous, etc; then close it.

If not, then leave it be. If it aint popular, then people wont use it and it will soon be consigned to history.

As a result, mods etc don't have to deal with threads like this.

Just a little tip, like ;)

Well I agree with it being shut. It wasn't used anymore and this arguement kept coming up.

Personally I'm glad the old clique has pretty much disappeared, certain members weren't quite as friendly as Kay will have you believe.

Also. I think the zone in the last few months has been a good place to be, even with the doom and gloom in the main forum.

In a few days people will have forgotten about the live thread

It was innocuous and banal but SZ and the dynamics of the so-called "clique" have changed in 2 years. Let it die.

This made me chuckle, it is the way of the zone!

I could say the same about the really old clique - Westcliff Shrimper, McScriven, Axe, Snowy, Ninja, Steveh, Leeboy

Not so old clique - Einstein, Daisy, Bath Shrimper, Prodigal Son

In the life of the Zone your little group were relatively newcomers, and no doubt your 'clique' will be superceded by another bunch who become close.

I know some of those people you mention are still around as are the majority of those who used to use the LCT, they just rarely visit.

The thing that really got me is that is was just closed...BANG...no explanation, no "announcement" and that I think is what annoyed me most of all. I'm still angry this morning, this board is becoming full of continuous Totty related stuff, whinging and griping, posturing and pretentiousness yet the mods have chosen to close a thread which was inoffensive until people began to be puerile about its existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back