• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Club is dead.... Non league heading if we survive

What i would like to know is what has happened to the excitement and willingness to run and play your guts out for each other and all the euphoria amongst the young lads that we witnessed at the end of last season under SC The joy and excitement they showed after defeating Lincoln City.Where has it gone. Also what formation were they playing under,because it seems obvious to me that 4-4--2 dosent work .

We know all that div 2 you need tough give everything players .To do well like the timlins .Young lads wont get us out of this mess unfortunately .We could easy sink down 1/2 divisions

More like the Southend Wednesday League i once played in for Southend Transport

It was good fun back in the day when some firms would allow staff to have the afternoon off to play football......Fond memories from way back last century.

It was good fun back in the day when some firms would allow staff to have the afternoon off to play football......Fond memories from way back last century.

very enjoyable league ...played for Eastwood School and then Leigh Ramblers in the Charity Cup, gracing the hallowed turf of the Hall !

I think this may have been covered before ..I know there is a Covenant that states Roots Hall can’t be developed on whilst there is a team and have somewhere to play. But we’re we to go bust does that mean Roots Hall and Fossetts could just be developed on fully with housing ?

Can only see three ways we stay in this division next season.

1. Two or more clubs go bust and we don't
2. Mystery billionaire oligarch turns up out of nowhere and buys the club.
3. Covid comes back with a vengeance, league stops before Xmas and we all try again next year.

I don't even think four 'experienced' signings will help, there is so much wrong, no not even wrong, completely broken at the football club that everything is having the life sucked out of it.

My bigger worry though is what relegation really means because I'm afraid it won't just mean dropping a division to play Boreham Wood.
The National League actually like clubs to be financed and vaguely well run. You can't turn up to their AGM without full proof and then some of funding for a season, you can't just blindly go along not bothering to pay HMRC or any of your staff, they're not the EFL who'll give you month after month to find some funding.
I have zero faith that Ron could wander into the National League AGM and satisfy their much more stringent rules and regulations, meaning of course that our best hope would be the Isthmian Premier.
I'll bet that nice shiny new stadium will look great hosting local derbies against Bowers & Pitsea.
Don't like the idea of a 'Mystery billionaire oligarch'! Ask Macclesfield, and then work your way back through Bury and a fair few after that.
Not quite the same level, but had dealings with Kingstonian when one Rajesh Khosla stepped into buy the former FA Trophy winners.
He asked: "how many, what do you call them? ('points, Rajesh') Ah yes. How many points do you need for the championship?"
He sold the ground for £2m, walked away, and unashamedly left Kingstonian technically homeless.
Be careful for what you wish!

Last edited:
I think this may have been covered before ..I know there is a Covenant that states Roots Hall can’t be developed on whilst there is a team and have somewhere to play. But we’re we to go bust does that mean Roots Hall and Fossetts could just be developed on fully with housing ?

Yes. That’s my understanding of it.

That’s why in some ways, Ron deserves credit, because it would have likely been easier for him to simply tell the judge last week that we’re skint, and have no way of paying.

This team is already beaten.
And what's worrying, it's a mere two league games into the season.
There must be a distinct lack of character, even for youngsters, to allow Carlisle to please themselves towards the end of the game.
Eight of the used 14 players are so called youth, so MM needs to call on all he knows to lift heads.
Frankly, that should be the order of business for next week unless we get seniors back, or in Akinola's case, started.

very enjoyable league ...played for Eastwood School and then Leigh Ramblers in the Charity Cup, gracing the hallowed turf of the Hall !
i went to Eastwood high for 2 years until family moved back into Southend where i transferred to what was then Wentworth high school

Me too - I was at Eastwood late 60's early 70's. Some fella in same year - Limb, Lamb, dunno now - I believe signed for SUFC but don't think it worked out for him (apologies as heading off subject......)

Last edited:
Me too - I was at Eastwood late 60's early 70's. Some fella in same year - Limb, Lamb, dunno now - I believe signed for SUFC but believe it didn't work out for him (apologies as heading off subject......)
I was there late 57/58

Me too - I was at Eastwood late 60's early 70's. Some fella in same year - Limb, Lamb, dunno now - I believe signed for SUFC but don't think it worked out for him (apologies as heading off subject......)

Guy your referring to was Steve Lamb, played a couple of games end of 74-75 season, but that was all I think?.
Arthur Rowley let him go, & he ended up working as a Builder with his father ( again i think? ).

Remember it well, I played for eastwood high, Leigh post office then Southend postmen, against the like of palmers college, Southend police, to many to mention.

I think we've had enough wailing and weeping and gnashing of teeth. We need to start being a bit more positive. A lot of people on here thought the kids were not ready and that's been proved although many last year were calling for this to happen. We're in a bit of a pickle. What does MM do now. What would you do if you were manager. No sarcastic bollocks about getting the map out to find where Bowers and Gifford play. It was mildly amusing the first time but is now pretty stale.
For me the spine of the team is always were you start. Alan McCormack is a good start and my brother who lives in Braintree and has seen Simeon Akinola play reckons he was mustard at that level and a great favourite with the Cowleys (did I read he also has a first class degree in Economics too - I may have been dreaming). Who else would you get in and remember they have to be cheap.

I think we've had enough wailing and weeping and gnashing of teeth. We need to start being a bit more positive. A lot of people on here thought the kids were not ready and that's been proved although many last year were calling for this to happen. We're in a bit of a pickle. What does MM do now. What would you do if you were manager. No sarcastic bollocks about getting the map out to find where Bowers and Gifford play. It was mildly amusing the first time but is now pretty stale.
For me the spine of the team is always were you start. Alan McCormack is a good start and my brother who lives in Braintree and has seen Simeon Akinola play reckons he was mustard at that level and a great favourite with the Cowleys (did I read he also has a first class degree in Economics too - I may have been dreaming). Who else would you get in and remember they have to be cheap.

Maybe he can double up as CEO too?

Back