• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Club statement or not?

With planning now formally in for the new stadium with all objections by 13th June 2021 a CEO does become more important. It's not just getting the current business/club administration and financial planning on an even keel but planning for the move to a new stadium that requires a lot of work on the footballing side as well.

BTW given there is at least now some coalescence around campaigning/ campaigning for change perhaps we should be thinking how we can turn that energy to ensuring this all goes ahead.

Fortunately, the council composition stayed relatively unchanged but the coalition majority is now only 2. And it seems the councillors of the opposition party stood on a manifesto of opposing change. So what can we do to lobby local politicians and indeed the relevant MPs in a co-ordinated way, and at the right time, working with the Club? And maybe this is a way of demonstrating the desire for positive partnership at the same time as asking for the other changes that are so important?

We can want as much change as we want but without the new stadium those who want a Pheonix club in the 7th tier will likely have their wish..

Geoff King was actually a real innovator in sports marketing. Southend had at one point one of the largest customer databases in the UK. Sadly the budget and appetite for these things dwindled after Ross left.

He was also the one behind the season card watch and the text ticket things in the early 2000's if anyone remembers them.

Have you considered that having a ceo may actually improve the situation and provide some stability to cash flow and business modelling.
Tommy2holes I actually have and ultimately and unfortunately it comes down to one man that controls everything in the club . Any CEO would have limited power ... Ron controls the purse strings ( badly! )

All our problems come back to Ron - is he willing or even capable of releasing some control or sticking to his word? The best CEO in the world could come in set a budget, plan the cashflow, aim to make sure wages, taxes and suppliers are paid on time. But then Ron could blow all those plans out of the water if he allows the manager to award unaffordable contracts to players. My worry is any good CEO would walk after getting fed up with being undermined by Ron.
Shrimping Around exactly this....

With planning now formally in for the new stadium with all objections by 13th June 2021 a CEO does become more important. It's not just getting the current business/club administration and financial planning on an even keel but planning for the move to a new stadium that requires a lot of work on the footballing side as well.

BTW given there is at least now some coalescence around campaigning/ campaigning for change perhaps we should be thinking how we can turn that energy to ensuring this all goes ahead.

Fortunately, the council composition stayed relatively unchanged but the coalition majority is now only 2. And it seems the councillors of the opposition party stood on a manifesto of opposing change. So what can we do to lobby local politicians and indeed the relevant MPs in a co-ordinated way, and at the right time, working with the Club? And maybe this is a way of demonstrating the desire for positive partnership at the same time as asking for the other changes that are so important?

We can want as much change as we want but without the new stadium those who want a Pheonix club in the 7th tier will likely have their wish..

I may be wrong, I doubt it, but the council will gesture this and posture that and then pass the plans. Wind it on a few years, to subsequent elections, and they will be reminding everyone of their successful campaign to bring more housing to the area. The reason, and I mean the only reason, this plan will go through is because the powers that be are under pressure to relieve the housing shortage.

Ron originally had a different vision and maybe luck is for once on his side. Retail is in freefall. Housing is a good get out for RM and it fits in nicely with what the councillors wanted all along.

Lets see what the council does of its own bat. 1200 new homes at an average of 3 people per household is 3600 people. Will the surrounding areas have a new doctor's surgery? Will there be an increase in police numbers? Will those by FF have a bus service? The list goes on. I suspect, as ever, the homes will go up and the new occupants will be left to fend for themselves. Further to that, watch how many social houses are proposed and passed and the see the numbers dwindle as the project is built. Usual guff about the costings making the social housing demands undeliverable. Time and again.

I may be wrong, I doubt it, but the council will gesture this and posture that and then pass the plans. Wind it on a few years, to subsequent elections, and they will be reminding everyone of their successful campaign to bring more housing to the area. The reason, and I mean the only reason, this plan will go through is because the powers that be are under pressure to relieve the housing shortage.

Ron originally had a different vision and maybe luck is for once on his side. Retail is in freefall. Housing is a good get out for RM and it fits in nicely with what the councillors wanted all along.

Lets see what the council does of its own bat. 1200 new homes at an average of 3 people per household is 3600 people. Will the surrounding areas have a new doctor's surgery? Will there be an increase in police numbers? Will those by FF have a bus service? The list goes on. I suspect, as ever, the homes will go up and the new occupants will be left to fend for themselves. Further to that, watch how many social houses are proposed and passed and the see the numbers dwindle as the project is built. Usual guff about the costings making the social housing demands undeliverable. Time and again.
So paraphrasing do nothing in terms of supporting it. Just let's see what the council does off its own bat?
I have heard a lot about campaigning for positive change and the groups coming together on this. How do we on this forum find out which of these groups ambitions for positive change extends to actually positively supporting the club's move to the new stadium?
Serious question- I would like to know and lend my support.
We can talk about change. We can demand a CEO (and the moment we get one we won't like who it is and not want one anymore). But the new stadium is one of the fundamental steps to a sustainable future whoever is the chairman a year, 3 years, 10 years down the road.

So paraphrasing do nothing in terms of supporting it. Just let's see what the council does off its own bat?
I have heard a lot about campaigning for positive change and the groups coming together on this. How do we on this forum find out which of these groups ambitions for positive change extends to actually positively supporting the club's move to the new stadium?
We can talk about change. We can demand a CEO (and the moment we get one we won't like who it is and not want one anymore). But the new stadium is one of the fundamental steps to a sustainable future whoever is the chairman a year, 3 years, 10 years down the road.
Sadly, that is so true and I think the same applies whenever we want a change of manager.

Best of luck with your campaigning efforts. Vic Jobson and RM, with an army of lawyers, architects and lobbyists, did their level best to get a stadium plan through and it came to nothing until the council had a vested interest. Housing.

In my lifetime I have witnessed Southend become a two bob town, ruined by dime a dozen councillors.

As for a CEO I wonder what my views are worth? Supporters groups, protests, even Stan, have come, gone and been overlooked. The only way your wishes are going to come true is if they coincide with the desires of the chairman. We may as well get used to the fact that we don't support SUFC as we want it to be and are left to be fans of the chairman's incarnation of the club.

Remind me when did Ron say the next statement or zoom in would be ?? Have we possibly passed the date yet?

5 Super Effective Ways to Become a Great Communicator
Great communicators are better liked, more successful, and produce more value for their organizations. Isn't it time to become a great communicator?

Remind me when did Ron say the next statement or zoom in would be ?? Have we possibly passed the date yet?

5 Super Effective Ways to Become a Great Communicator
Great communicators are better liked, more successful, and produce more value for their organizations. Isn't it time to become a great communicator?
Someone already explained that they were trying to set up the next Zoom call for early/beginning June (was it 6th?). Bear in mind last time it was decided to have a pop at Ron for delaying it turned out to be at the request of one of the other groups. A suitable date has to be found by all attendees but not just Ron. And communication cuts all ways.

Barry C rightly raises the issue of communication. What I would like clarity of communication on is the bit highlighted above. I feel we shouldn't just be sitting back and waiting to see what happens but offering positive support to work with the club for a positive outcome..

Anything is possible I believe but also know RM isn't about to sell up anytime soon.
Sell what? The name of a football club that has a place in the National League and owes at least 15 million?
What is that worth?
The club exists at Ron's pleasure.
He is not disinterested but often distracted.

All our problems come back to Ron - is he willing or even capable of releasing some control or sticking to his word? The best CEO in the world could come in set a budget, plan the cashflow, aim to make sure wages, taxes and suppliers are paid on time. But then Ron could blow all those plans out of the water if he allows the manager to award unaffordable contracts to players. My worry is any good CEO would walk after getting fed up with being undermined by Ron.

In normal times, the CEO and Chairman will agree a total budget based on predicted income and thats what the manger has to work with. They can have a maximum wage in place

The manger will work with that in mind when he decides how many and who he wants. A manger doesn't just decide to 'award' contracts.

Next season will of corse be difficult to predict financially as we don't know what the crowds will be and Covid could throw a big spanner into the plans.

If we are doing well and crowds are up then half way through the season PB will push the CEO for some extra to sign a couple of players he thinks will win us promotion.

I say this because thats what happened in 2014/15 with PB and SK.....Approved by Ron of course..... Well thats how it was explained to me by PB when I asked him how it actually works. That was back then but who knows what might happen this year.

Best of luck with your campaigning efforts. Vic Jobson and RM, with an army of lawyers, architects and lobbyists, did their level best to get a stadium plan through and it came to nothing until the council had a vested interest. Housing.

In my lifetime I have witnessed Southend become a two bob town, ruined by dime a dozen councillors.

As for a CEO I wonder what my views are worth? Supporters groups, protests, even Stan, have come, gone and been overlooked. The only way your wishes are going to come true is if they coincide with the desires of the chairman. We may as well get used to the fact that we don't support SUFC as we want it to be and are left to be fans of the chairman's incarnation of the club.
Its not my campaigning efforts I'm trying to understand. I'm trying to understand what the various groups are doing, as part of the "campaign for positive change", to support such change as it relates to something as important as the new stadium. I was hoping there was something positive to support. Maybe the answer is no one's bothering. In fact, maybe this whole "campaigning for change thing" has just withered on the vine.
Oh well..

Back