• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I don't understand that. What has that got to do with not signing players now? Let's not confuse the issue. You were complaining that CU have signed 4 players and us none AT THIS POINT. Your post above doesn't prove you have a right to negativity NOW.

Currently on the books we have players who collectively scored 25 goals last season.Player contracts are expiring and as yet we have nothing.

Bringing this thread back on message...... If Thompson, Bolger and Barrett are match fit and playing well, they will get the nod ahead of Luke. Even when he had a run and did well, after an injury or whatever, he just couldn't get back in the driving seat. If I was him I would be thinking ' what more can I do, I wan to play regularly', hence my feeling he will be off to easier climbs.

In passing, I'm buggered if I know how you managed to introduce negativity into this thread mrsb, surely it's about clubs that are after buying Luke?

Yeah my bad,

I like Pross and think he will grow in stature,he doesn't mess about with it,deserves a crack in league 1 Imo.

I like Pross but I won't be surprised to see him move on. No more than a squad player in League One.

Echo this, can't see him being a regular here next season being behind Bolger, Barrett and Thompson in my view. Would prefer us to get someone in the Dervite mould who can dominate in the air as well as being good on the floor.

I think we should of offered him a two year deal, to be honest. He's a good pro and can play CB and LB. If we put everyone on a one year deal we could have a mass exodus at the end of next season.

They'll be desperate to stay as we'll be getting promoted to the championship by then. FACT. END OF.:smile:

Currently on the books we have players who collectively scored 25 goals last season.Player contracts are expiring and as yet we have nothing.

Again, you're confusing two issues. What has that got to do with the reason CU have signed 4 players and we haven't? You simply don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but are making assumptions that are negative where there are just as many positive reasons.

Again, for clarity, I have no idea what the reasons are. The difference is that I'm not basing my opinion on the perceived quality of previous signings because that simply doesn't prove anything in terms of reasons we haven't signed anyone.

Let's not also forget we only finished our season 2.5 weeks ago whereas most teams finished 5.5 weeks ago. In fact I've just done a google search on transfer news for the other 5 play off finalists:

Norwich:Nothing in. Gary Hooper may be leaving
Middlesbrough:Nothing
Preston:Jermaine Beckford signed, but that's no different than Barratt re-signing for us
Swindon:Nothing
Wycombe:Nothing

It seems we're no different to them...

Last edited:
I think it would be beneficial for SUFC to keep him for another 2 years - Barrett will be gone next season, CBs can get injured during the season, CBs form can go off the boil during the season, I think he is solid cover.

However, cover is all that he would be next season and if I was him I'd move.

When the word courage AND Southend United is mentioned, two players immediately come to mind, Timlin and Prosser. I can see the former being an important element of our League One squad next season, whilst the latter, as he has been at the end of this campaign, will essentially be a squad player. I don't think Prosser will be happy with that rôle and thus, sadly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he left. Looks to me that we have taken the option of the additional year in order to 1) Use him as a bargaining chip for another player. 2) Extract a small fee for him. Where will he go? I think Yeovil and if I were to put a little money on it, I'd say Yeovil and if you were REALLY to push me, I'd say.................YEOVIL.

Prosser has come on a long way since he joined and I have no fear when he is asked to come into the side.

The problem is in the last two seasons he has been replaced by others who did better, so Im not sure he is deemed to be first choice.

Id be happy to see him stay, but I personally think a move would be the best for him, he is good enough to be a first team player somewhere, if not here.

The trouble is, Luke was replace by another players while he was unlucky to get injured, we start winning & it's hard to get back in. Once he is back in the team, he have hope for more luck this time to get a run till end of the season for a change!

The trouble is, Luke was replace by another players while he was unlucky to get injured, we start winning & it's hard to get back in. Once he is back in the team, he have hope for more luck this time to get a run till end of the season for a change!

If he was that good he would be brought back in though.

He got injured but then when Thompson and BWilliams got replaced we chose two other defenders ahead of him, and lets face it Bolger wasnt at the time impressing too many people, yet he still got the chance before Luke (and did well).

Bolger got in because it was the right-sided defender who got injured. Had it been the left-sided player I'm certain Prosser would have been back in the side.

I think it would be beneficial for SUFC to keep him for another 2 years - Barrett will be gone next season, CBs can get injured during the season, CBs form can go off the boil during the season, I think he is solid cover.

However, cover is all that he would be next season and if I was him I'd move.

But on the flip side if AB remains fit theres no reason why we can't keep offering him 1 year deals as his career winds down, a bit like United did with Giggs and he reached 40!

Bolger got in because it was the right-sided defender who got injured. Had it been the left-sided player I'm certain Prosser would have been back in the side.

Fair point, but he was replaced last season as well.

I think he has been the third man too often now. With Barrett at 35 Id say he is still a good player to have, I just wonder if its worth it for him.

Fair point, but he was replaced last season as well.

I think he has been the third man too often now. With Barrett at 35 Id say he is still a good player to have, I just wonder if its worth it for him.

Of the four central defenders we have (Barrett, Bolger, Prosser and Thompson) we have 2 that are right footed and 2 that are left footed.

Again, you're confusing two issues. What has that got to do with the reason CU have signed 4 players and we haven't? You simply don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but are making assumptions that are negative where there are just as many positive reasons.

Again, for clarity, I have no idea what the reasons are. The difference is that I'm not basing my opinion on the perceived quality of previous signings because that simply doesn't prove anything in terms of reasons we haven't signed anyone.

Let's not also forget we only finished our season 2.5 weeks ago whereas most teams finished 5.5 weeks ago. In fact I've just done a google search on transfer news for the other 5 play off finalists:

Norwich:Nothing in. Gary Hooper may be leaving
Middlesbrough:Nothing
Preston:Jermaine Beckford signed, but that's no different than Barratt resigning for us
Swindon:Nothing
Wycombe:Nothing

It seems we're no different to them...

Barrett is NOT resigning!He has agreed a contract for one last season though I'd be surprised if he gets to play much.

Despite early season calamities I did say from the opening day away to Accrington that Bolger is the best defender we have (in terms of potential). Prosser is, in my view, a very good defender that lacked matches due to mistiming/misfortune, and I think he will play a prominent part in the coming season. I certainly hope so.

Thompson is another with promise and i feel glad we have him, and Barrett, well Barrett we will have to see but I am sure he brings a lot to the squad even beyond match day.

I think Prosser has improved immensely since he first signed, and at 27 he has still got time to get better. We definitely need four central defenders, and having one that can play left back (we all know Barrett can't) has to be an asset.

If we knew that that the three other centre backs, and Coker, were going to stay injury and suspension free for a whole season then we could consider letting him go for a fee. But we can't, so the likelihood he will get a run in the team and if he plays well enough he will keep his place.

Last edited:
We have to do all we can to get prosser to stay, to good defender to play at league two level and will fight for a starting place come start of the season, for me I would pick him over all others if he has a injury free pre season:thumbsup:

Back