• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coker, Hendrie and a new contract.

Clinton Baptiste

Life President⭐
I think Hendrie will now get a run, personally I would be surprised if we offer Coker a new deal with all his injury problems.

I think Hendrie will now get a run, personally I would be surprised if we offer Coker a new deal with all his injury problems.
Coker will get a deal no problem, it’s if he accepts it or not, Southend would be silly not to offer a deal as his one player we can sell on for a good fee when fit.

Coker will get a deal no problem, it’s if he accepts it or not, Southend would be silly not to offer a deal as his one player we can sell on for a good fee when fit.
Coker will be 30 in June, I can't see who would pay money for a 30 year old League 1 left back, he has a good reputation at this level but realistically he's only got 1 or 2 seasons left before age starts to affect how he plays.

Coker will be 30 in June, I can't see who would pay money for a 30 year old League 1 left back, he has a good reputation at this level but realistically he's only got 1 or 2 seasons left before age starts to affect how he plays.

I dont think Coker is a player we can sell for a fee, due to his age, but I am sure he could play on for plenty more years at League one/two level.

I am sure he wil get offered a contract, and if Ron has any savvy about him, it will be a year deal with options depending on if he actually manages to get back playing professionally.

Why would we offer him a deal if he isn't anywhere near fit for next season? He might never be the player he was after this injury. We should hold off until we know more

There have been a few references to the injured Coker; and how well Hendrie did in the last (Accers) game.
Coker's contract runs out end of season. He will not be playing again before then.
What should the club do now?

There have been a few references to the injured Coker; and how well Hendrie did in the last (Accers) game.
Coker's contract runs out end of season. He will not be playing again before then.

As laudable as the above quoted actions are, the only sensible answer is that any new contract should be based on an assessment of whether the manager feels Ben is what he wants and needs going forward; whether Ben can demonstrate sufficient fitness and whether the package can be agreed by both parties.

As much as I like Coker, I doubt we’ll see him again for Southend and that’d probably be the right decision

As much as I like Coker, I doubt we’ll see him again for Southend and that’d probably be the right decision
I’m interested to know why you feel that way. Hendrie did quite well on Saturday but still had a few shaky moments IMO. We could possibly get better/less injury prone than Coker. But we could also get far worse.

I thought in most cases if a player was recovering from a long term injury the club offered them a contract for their recovery period. The only time I can remember this not happening was when Liam Dickinson broke his ankle.

I'd suggest nothing.

This isn't a decision that needs to be made now and we will know more in a few months' time: more about Coker's recovery, more how players have performed in his absence and more about the squad make-up after the January window.

Probably the out of contract player top of my list is Isaac Hutchinson now he's broken through into the first team reckoning.

However I wouldn't be surprised if more time is being spent on those in contract - Kightly, Kiernan, Robinson, maybe even Demetriou and trying to move some of them on. With the exception of Theo they are likely to be amongst our higher earners.

CP said previously that Coker was offered a new deal in the summer and turned it down and that was one of the reasons why he wasn’t made captain permanently. Wonder if he regrets that now.

I’m told Coker will be out for a year. So no pre- season to asses him etc.

He chose not to sign and others in the know have said he was moving on in the summer. That was his choice, so why would we take a risk on such a long term and unpredictable injury

Any way Hendrie has another 24 games to prove/convince some of the doubters.... I believe he will.

Don’t want to slag a man who is injured but I personaly think Coker has been the most consistantly overrated player in the las 5 years at our club.

I'll probably not be thanked for posting this, but the original thread was all about Ben Coker and his gesture towards a lad with Diabetes at Blackburn. The conversation has now moved on towards offering him a new contract (or not) and whether Hendrie is now a 'fit' replacement. Nothing wrong with those comments and it's definitely a conversation worth having, but to me it does devalue the original reason for this thread. If you agree maybe someone could start a new thread on the Coker/Hendrie/Contract situation, or otherwise I'll just shut up now.

Later-New thread now up.

Last edited:
Back