• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

and the circus way we run ours is the benchmark....? Don't think we should throw stones!!

I'm not sure there is any stone throwing going on here. If Staam is to be believed then he doesn't want Ben. So it is a bit strange that Reading are still bidding. However, if they cough up enough transfer dosh they can be as weird as they like. £350k does it for me.

Yeah, I have to agree with you, in the region of £300k would be about right, in order to get a similar player (or slightly better) in as a replacement.
Mind you, if a conversation did take place, and he admitted he would like to move on, I would say take around £250k.

As others have said previously, I like him and usually puts in a decent performance in a Southend shirt, but if his desire to move to another club, then so be it. Ship him out & get someone in with a true desire to play for the club.

In Coker's case though, I'm personally under the impression that he enjoys playing for the club, and to my knowledge, he hasn't made any blatant noise through the media about wanting to move on like in the case of Piggott or Bentley. So at least until now, he get's respect in my book.

Why are we even thinking of selling one of our remaining better players??

Does he want go stay or leave???

Surely the loss of Bentley, Payne and Worrall all leaving along with the others who left at the end of the season is sufficient to balance the books for the season.

Soon we will not have a competitive squad left!!!

I always said that the prospect of losing Leonard and Coker was a far greater loss than losing Bentley and Payne. Fortunately, the first two have so far remained. Let's hope this is the case come the end of the transfer window. People have to remember how many years it took to find a good left back, we finally have one and I don't relish the idea of having to try and find another one because they aren't easy to find. Like I said previously in the thread, left backs are at a premium compared to right backs and we simply shouldn't get rid until the offer is irrefusable.

Lets not miss the point that PB went to the horse's mouth and Staam says he is not interested. Please move on, nothing to see here.

Suspect some numpty at Reading eventually will turn up with a list of targets for Staam and say these are the people we can get - we have agreed the fees in principle fees. Staam will say how very kind of you- him, him, him & him Ive already told their managers I'm not interested- but well done keep it up. Oh whilst you're here I have my list..

Do Reading have a Director of Football?

What a bizarre way to run a football club if that's the case.
It appears to be quite common these days where foreign owners are concerned. Think I would rather have Ron than a loony tune, just look at Blackburn as an example, shockingly run.

It appears to be quite common these days where foreign owners are concerned. Think I would rather have Ron than a loony tune, just look at Blackburn as an example, shockingly run.

This is the way many foreign owned clubs operate these days with a panel of people deciding on who to sign and then the manager, sorry head coach now, has to make the best of it. Agree with you, would rather have Ron than operate on those terms.

This way of doing business with low, not quite so low, still low, offers for a player are unfair practice IMO; and the non selling club ought to get some compensation for it. The player gets unsettled, rumours start, fans get brassed off.
Possibly a better solution (outside a tribunal) is that the bidding club pays 10% of the offer as a non returnable "deposit": so if Reading offered 75k first then we keep 7.5k when the bid is rejected.
Might cause clubs to think some more on low bids?
This is just a quick thought, please be reasonable when rubbishing this idea!

This way of doing business with low, not quite so low, still low, offers for a player are unfair practice IMO; and the non selling club ought to get some compensation for it. The player gets unsettled, rumours start, fans get brassed off.
Possibly a better solution (outside a tribunal) is that the bidding club pays 10% of the offer as a non returnable "deposit": so if Reading offered 75k first then we keep 7.5k when the bid is rejected.

I think your idea is reasonable rubbish, happy now?

All players are for sale at the right price , so would it not be easier all round if these prices were known ? If a club bids below asking price then they should be fined for an illegal approach and money paid to club who's player they are bidding for .

For some reason this reminds me of the ideas/proposals to change the way that houses are bought and sold in England ............. there are problems with the current system but no-one could come up with another system that didn't have other weaknesses and so it was left alone.

This latest tweet doesn't fill me full of confidence:

This latest tweet doesn't fill me full of confidence:

If he meant that tweet as its come across then it's incredibly disrespectful and he can pack his bags and **** off to Reading.

Well if he is off, he will wait until after the club pays for a trip to Spain before leaving.

I read that tweet as cokes chilling the reading supporter out....pointing out they released cox in a huffy manner.

That's how I read it.

Shows that a simple three word tweet can be taken completely differently by different people.

Back