• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

On a serious note, having been a pretty good Marathon runner in the 80's (best time 3hrs 7 mins from 13 Marathons), this guy needs to plan this carefully.
He reckons he'll be able to jog the first 15 miles, which will take him around 3 hrs at 12 min per mile pace. Once your legs have gone, that's it, walk pace from there onwards. Let's say after that he'd walk a mile in 20 mins, which would give him a total time from start to finish of 11 hours.
Guy would have to start off at 03.30am to make it for 2.30pm. Sincerely hope he doe's it, but bearing in mind the temp at that time of morning, and what's involved, he'd need a proper 'back up' team with him all the way.

Such a sad article, and well worth a donation by as many SUFC fans as possible towards his sons recovery.

im sure our club supporters will make themselves proud as usual, when it comes to helping others in need as we've done on many occassions over the years.
I do hope our club can get involved in terms of a donation, or a free publication in our next two home match programmes with the link to the https://www.gofundme.com/alfiesvision or at the very least a couple of free tickets for his family and friends to double their away support..( sorry I could'nt help it :smile: )

Hopefully the Evening Echo will pick up on this also at some point soon.

Maybe if someone knows the landlord at the Blue Boar, they could ask to speak to them, to see if they might be willing to put a collection jar or something out on the match day for a whip round to increase donations from their own supporters? (perhaps our own local home pubs also for that matter?, the guy at the Railway has a heart of gold, so I cant imagine him saying no to a worthy cause).

As for Billy Bests comments, I have to agree with him, he will need to start around 3-4am and really needs to shift some serious miles in a quick time, if he plans to leave at 6am to get to Roots Hall for 2.30pm!! It would take about 13 hours to walk it, considering he only plans to jog less than half of it, I would imagine he defo needs to set off from the Colchester alot earlier, otherwise he is leaving himself short of time for a lap of honour and possible more collections, unless he manages to make it for half time.

Mind you... what do I know, the closest I have come to a Marathon, was that chocolate & nut bar in the eighties before they changed the name to Snickers!! and handing out cold water and towels on Marsh Wall (Isle of dogs) during the London Marathon for the past 9 odd years.

All the very best to him though, I hope he makes it on time, and travels back to Colchester with everything he wanted to acomplish (except our 3 points of course!!)

Last edited:
Good morning everyone,

After this thread being brought to my attention by Garry Smith, and after reading it I just had to write a reply as I was litterally blown away by the kindness and generousity through comments and donations from supporters who are amongst our fiercest rivals! This has been an incredibly hard year for us, and with many more challenges up ahead, having support from friends, family, and total strangers is whats pulling us through! So thank you from the bottom of my heart for that

as far as not making it there in time, I'll just give it my best shot, if i dont make it for before kick off ill try to get there for half time, if i cant do that ill just try and get there for the end of the game, just doing the distance and giving it my best shot is my main aim, while raising awareness for our little boys cause!

Once again, thank you to you all and everyone at the club so so much for your support, and i'll hopefully see many of you at the game on the 6th with my collection bucket, and appropiate protective headwear for and projectiles thrown at me from the stand! LOL :smile:

www.gofundme.com/alfiesvision

All the best Tom. I have a great amount of admiration for your efforts and look forward to your lap of honour after donating.

You never know, you may be able to cadge a lift home on the team bus.
:smile:

Tractor.jpg

Me too. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing you come and visit us and I hope your legs hold out.

I still hope your team lose, mind. Donating to a good cause is one thing, but there are limits... :smile:

I understand the two clubs are in discussions to move the match start time to 19:45 hrs to allow Tom to get to the game in time to see it kick-off. I think that is a very reasonable gesture.

Having had many visits to Great Ormond Street when my daughter was little, I understand all the pain and worry and extra care involved. Luckily for me, my daughter is fine at the moment, although not completely out of the woods as she has to have yearly check ups. Tom's situation is so much worse as his son has a truly horrible rare illness. My heart goes out to him, and his family. Let's hope he raises as much as possible. I hope he takes BBbl's advice, and is able to leave earlier so he gets to the game in time. Very best of luck Tom.

Very sad story this is a time to put all footballing rivalries aside and help the guy raise money for his son.

I second that, I genuinely do hope he makes it in time for the match for collections, we are a generous bunch after all.

Besides, if he didnt make until after the final whistle, it would be a shame to see him arrive into an empty stadium with no supporters & just a couple of stewards rattling around the place, he would probably wish he saved the 40 mile journey and just showed up at the Community Stadium during any given Col U home game! :smile:

I wholeheartedly applaud and support this great effort for a worthy cause.

BUT...what is so new or special about Col U running at Roots Hall? :winking:

Back