• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
We are, of course, ahead in League (and other) results against Colchester over the years, but it is still more than 10 years since Shaun Goater's two goals helped us to our last home victory over them (a young John White came on as substitute for them).

The referee for this match, which I think will be closer than many imagine, is Oliver Langford from Darlaston, near Walsall in the West Midlands.

In his eighth season as a Football League referee, he has refereed Southend eight times before.

First was the dreadful match (until the last minute anyway) at Leyton Orient in 2008/9. He didn't excel, but did better than the players. The second was the low-key paint thing at Milton Keynes the following season. In both of those games he seemed to find it easier to caution away players than home ones. Barrett, Grant and Christophe in the first and Francis, Cristophe and Sawyer in the second.

His third Southend match was the 1-4 home defeat by Swindon 2011/12 when he cautioned Timlin, Kalala and, for them, Macca.

His fourth was early 2012/13 and somewhat controversial. In the 2-0 defeat at Oxford he only showed two soft yellow cards. Unfortunately they were both for Timlin.

Then he was in charge of the same season's home cup replay which we drew 1-1 with Bury, going through on penalties. He did fine - other than yet another soft yellow for Timlin.

Co-incidence alert - Deegan's suspension match was refereed by the referee who sent him off at Oxford - Timlin's suspension match will be refereed by the referee who sent him off at Oxford

Next came Morecambe away the season before last when we lost 2-1, with, unusually, both yellows going to the home team.

Then, in that same season he did our play-off defeat at Burton, when, as I'm sure everyone remembers, he had a rather poor game. White, Straker, Coker and Corr seeing yellow and one of theirs picking up a red.

Finally last season's Boxing Day match at Cambridge which went somewhat better. A win with yellows for Worrall and Leonard.

He seems to be quite highly rated for reasons I've never really understood and I am always be happier with him doing our home games. His card count remains amongst the lowest with just 58 yellows and 2 reds from 26 matches.

Colchester will be pleased with the appointment for it was he who took charge of their last away league win over four months ago at Swindon.

Assisting will be Lloyd Wood from Romford and Graham Kane, a citizen of Ditchling near Brighton. Fourth official is Stuart Butler from Maidstone, who it is to be hoped will not be called on in any other capacity.

Last edited:
Fourth official is Stuart Butler from Maidstone, who it is to be hoped will not be called on in any other capacity.

I'm not sure what you've got against him Mick, but I am now imagining you as Blakey!

sticker,375x360.u8.jpg

Thanks as ever for an informative refwatch, which allows me to sound knowledgable to my friends at matches! ;-)

We are, of course, ahead in League (and other) results against Colchester over the years, but it is still more than 10 years since Shaun Goater's two goals helped us to our last home victory over them (a young John White came on as substitute for them).

The referee for this match, which I think will be closer than many imagine, is Oliver Langford from Darlaston, near Walsall in the West Midlands.

Mitchell Cole getting the other of course. :'(

The bookmakers share your view Mick; while we are favourites, we are certainly no shoe-ins. Best odds of 13/10 on a Southend win, i.e. a 43% chance

I'm not sure what you've got against him Mick, but I am now imagining you as Blakey!

View attachment 3945

Thanks as ever for an informative refwatch, which allows me to sound knowledgable to my friends at matches! ;-)

Stephen Lewis died last summer. Thought they were televising his funeral (Great British Blake Off ?), but it was some cooking programme.

Stuart Butler has been responsible for a number of very poor refereeing performances that I've seen over the years in non-league football.

Back