• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Colchester  V Southend memories

Hello guys how you all doing, we are looking forward to the big game next week
biggrin.gif

Whilst looking for a Southampton programme from my collection I found an old Southend programme from 26/12/ 1975, probably one of my first trip's down to Roots Hall.
If I remember rightly you beat us 2-0 that day and your team listed in the programme was as follows,
Malcolm Webster
Dave Worthington
Andy Ford
Alan Little
Neil Townsend
Alan Moody
Ken Foggo
Stuart Brace
Stuart Parker
Peter Silvester
Terry Nicholl
Ron Pountney
I hope that brings back a few memories for you guys, it does for me, bad one's
sad.gif

We were both in the old division three we were 12th and you were 3rd from bottom!
Having said that you had 3 games in hand on us and were only 5 points behind (although it was only two points for a win in those days)
I am sure there will be plenty of banter between now and next Wednesday, dont forget people if anybody wants any information just ask
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Colchester and proud! @ Sep. 23 2004,20:29)]Hello guys how you all doing, we are looking forward to the big game next week  
biggrin.gif

Whilst looking for a Southampton programme from my collection I found an old Southend programme from 26/12/ 1975, probably one of my first trip's down to Roots Hall.
If I remember rightly you beat us 2-0 that day and your team listed in the programme was as follows,
Malcolm Webster
Dave Worthington
Andy Ford
Alan Little
Neil Townsend
Alan Moody
Ken Foggo
Stuart Brace
Stuart Parker
Peter Silvester
Terry Nicholl
Ron Pountney
I hope that brings back a few memories for you guys, it does for me, bad one's  
sad.gif

We were both in the old division three we were 12th and you were 3rd from bottom!
Having said that you had 3 games in hand on us and were only 5 points behind (although it was only two points for a win in those days)
I am sure there will be plenty of banter between now and next Wednesday, dont forget people if anybody wants any information just ask  
smile.gif
This little boy seems to do now't else bar talk about Southend. I expect we will see him in the cow shed withthe SUFC fans at Layer Road next week. Or with it being an 8 o'clock kick off will it be too late for him?

Thanks for calling me a little boy mate, shame I am over 50
biggrin.gif

Being a Barside season ticket holder I will not be able to join you boys on the away terrace.
I see you come from Suffolk so you should feel at home in a cow shed, mind you credit's due that you are not a Ipswich fan
tounge.gif

Have to say I've been quite impressed with the Col U cup form and it looks a bit ominous. Fagan's goal the other night was a belter. Still, form doesn't count for much in Derbies and I'm hoping we can free up a bit of time in your fixture list
smile.gif

That was our relegation season under Arthur Rowley, who by then had taken to spending more time on the golf course than doing his job.

The only memorable thing about that game was that it contained more fouls than any other you're ever likely to see - excluding offsides and handballs there were 78 free kicks awarded, and I'm afraid we conceded 50 of them (yes, FIFTY fouls in one game). These days we'd have had nobody left on the pitch by the end but refs were more tolerant then.

As I recall we won 2-0 because we scored 2 goals and Col Ewe scored none. There was no superiority in skill or tactics as it was just old-fashioned lower division crap at its worst. Still, it was 2 points towards, er, absolutely nothing as we went down.

And if I remember rightly the Colchester manager wondered how on earth we were down the bottom!

We had some decent home performances that year... and a cracking FA Cup run (beaten in 5th round at Derby 1-0) and the home support was fantastic.  Unfortunately our away form was utter pants.  It came down to the last game of the season between us and Sheff Wed at Hillsborough.  If we drew or won, we stayed up.  They won 2-1.

Still it's nice to have a Col U fan to come on here and exchange some friendly banter rather than the usual abusive tripe.

Please refrain from being an intelligent and reasonable person, posting sensible banter. It's confusing me, I could start to respect your views and that's just not right - what with you being a Col U fan and everything.......

tounge.gif

I have some fantastic memories of Colchester on and off the pitch.

Last years game was the best away Southends game i have ever been too alongside Hartlepool away in the cup on the famous Tuesday night.

Gutted I was away for the semi-final but I have 2 totally different memories of Colchester, good news and bad news.
Good news, the 2-1 win which as good as put us up and threw Colchester out of the league. (Though my girl friend at the time got hit in the face by a coin thrown into our end!)  What happened to that scouser who scored our winner!
Bad news and quite bizzare.  Anyone under 40 turn away.  The game inbetween the 9-0 and 10-1 cup wins, (68?), confidence was high, Billy Best was in his prime and we lost 4-0!  I still wake up in a cold sweat today at the thought of it.  Did not help playing 4 centre halves in defence!
Still roll on Wednesday, getting a late train, still best to get a cab from the station, but to which pub?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (exiledessexboy @ Sep. 24 2004,10:33)]Gutted I was away for the semi-final but I have 2 totally different memories of Colchester, good news and bad news.
Good news, the 2-1 win which as good as put us up and threw Colchester out of the league. (Though my girl friend at the time got hit in the face by a coin thrown into our end!)  What happened to that scouser who scored our winner!
Bad news and quite bizzare.  Anyone under 40 turn away.  The game inbetween the 9-0 and 10-1 cup wins, (68?), confidence was high, Billy Best was in his prime and we lost 4-0!  I still wake up in a cold sweat today at the thought of it.  Did not help playing 4 centre halves in defence!
Still roll on Wednesday, getting a late train, still best to get a cab from the station, but to which pub?
Ye Oled Sheep Shagger!

tounge.gif

Personally, I've always thought sheep get a bad press.

Yes 1968 it was mate and I was there with 10603 others (bloody hell!)
In the return game you beat us 3-1 though in front of 12681 fans, books are handy sometimes
biggrin.gif

Billy Best what a striker he used to scare the you know what out of me
sad.gif

The only memories I've got od this fixture is the game at The Hall last season. When Drewenaldo reached legendary status in my eyes with THAT goal. The best night of my Southend supporting life.

I missed the trouncing we gave them lot at Layer Road and the pre-season fixture due to never getting round to getting a ticket and my mum's birthday.

Ah - the 2-0 win at the Dump that contributed towards Col Ewe's fall from grace; cracking goal from Peter Daley who celebrated with us all behind the goal. Sweet revenge for the 2-0 reverse on Boxing Day at Roots Hall which spoiled my Christmas celebrations ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Sep. 25 2004,11:04)]Ah - the 2-0 win at the Dump that contributed towards Col Ewe's fall from grace; cracking goal from Peter Daley who celebrated with us all behind the goal. Sweet revenge for the 2-0 reverse on Boxing Day at Roots Hall which spoiled my Christmas celebrations ...

WS
The 89-90 season. I remember being squashed in the chicken pen behind the goal. We were singing to their goalkeeper "What's it like to go part-time?" And the goal was really close to us.

We were also singing "There'll one team in Essex in the merry month of May".

Great memories.

biggrin.gif

Back