• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Colchester Utd 2 vs Southend Utd 0 CheckaTrade Trophy

Evening Echo

The News
A SUBDUED Southend United slumped to a 2-0 defeat at Essex rivals Colchester United in the Checkatrade Trophy tonight.

More...

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell felt players failed to take their chance in tonight’s Checkatrade Trophy defeat at Colchester United.

More...

All your Post Match rants here

Little effort.

No attacking intent - again.

Pathetic- again.

Praise for Bwomono, Moore and Yearwood.

Enormous sympathy for Gard.

Did McLaughlin do anything at all? If so I must have blinked and misssed it.

Why does Kightly get paid?

If we continue keeping so many players behind the ball we are in for a long hard winter whoever is selected.

I'm going to bed. Perhaps when I wake up it will all have been a very bad dream......

Very poor, weak and ineffective in midfield and completely powder puff up front.
The regulars missing from tonight need not worry about their places for Saturday.
Bishop 6, lack of confidence and command of his area. Goal 1 was a farce - collectively.
Elvis 8, showed heart and some fire, worked his wing well in 2nd half.
Dieng 7, better as a midfielder
Moore 8, looked up and tried to take ball forward or pick a pass.
Hendrie 7+, did nothing wrong and worked hard

Midfielders, all 5s, passed backwards or sideways or into touch or to a Col Ewe, no attack threat, barely a tackle.

Theo 5 and Maclouski 4, poor runs, no tackles, little effective chasing down (did what Mooney used to do - stop 2 yards short of opposition player!) and they should have ripped Prosser and Eastman apart for pace and movement but didn't run at them once, no shots!

Kites 4. Looked completely disinterested.

Rubbish.

Terrible performance by most players - exceptions being Hendrie, Moore and Elvis who at least looked like they cared. Hutchinson looks like he’s got something about him, Batlowka looked like a boy in a man’s game and Klass was poor all night. McCoulsky showed why he’s not getting starts

One to forget I’m afraid

it took 78 minutes before Elvis understood that he could skin the defender if he ran at him...…..the worry is that a lot of these players are the fringe for us and to be honest I thought they looked very poor indeed, no commitment in the tackle not great passing, nothing to get excited about with them...…...lucky it was a short journey home

SOUTHEND United midfielder Lewis Gard suffered a serious looking knee injury towards the end of tonight’s 2-0 defeat at Colchester United.

More...

Well thats really shown CP that most of these players are not up to first team ,that includes McCoulsky and Robinson,again your threads say how dire McLauglin and Kites are,think i can see some changes come January.

Well thats really shown CP that most of these players are not up to first team ,that includes McCoulsky and Robinson,again your threads say how dire McLauglin and Kites are,think i can see some changes come January.

Spot on.

The problem is, of all those players you mentioned, only McCoulsky is on loan, and worse still Kightly, McLaughlin and Robinson are all under long contracts until 2020. So we are currently stuck with them.

So unless we can manage to ship them out on loan to other clubs, sadly i can't see many wholesale changes coming in January.

Walked out before the end. Not something I do very often at all, but Powell definitely got it wrong last night. Going on about it being his first "Essex Derby", did no-one explain to him just how we feel about this no matter what competition it's in?

This was as bad a performance as the Cambridge one was good.

Midfield was totally powder puff, if he thinks Klass is anywhere near ready then I'm a monkey's uncle. There was literally no spark in midfield which is why both Robinson and McCoulsky were so isolated. The odd time they did get the ball to them to their feet, both did at least try to run with it but to little effect. The hoofball tactics also didn't work and were never going to - Prosser always was miles better with his head than with his feet, and his defensive colleagues were similarly tall.

Defence was interesting, individually, I thought they all did ok. Collectively, letting that first goal in was a total embarrassment. Ted Smith will have watched that, after doing shooting practice warm up, and thought he might get a game in the remaining fixture in this group stage.

Substitutions were all odd. With midfield struggling, the sensible thing to do would have been to put Turner on and allow Dieng to move up, and take either Batlokwa or Klass off, both of whom were absolutely dreadful. What happened? No, we take off Hutchinson who'd at least managed to tackle and pass a bit and put Kightly on. I appreciate he probably didn't want to risk Dru much but midfield was where we were being totally over-run - putting Turner on would have protected Dru for a bit longer. Or, alternatively Cox could have come on and played as a attacking CM. But no, after Kightly, we had Yearwood then Gard - and yes, of course I do feel sorry for the lad, but he really wasn't the answer.

Bishop - 6, felt he should have done better with the goals, and didn't command things
Bwonomo - 8, best player for us on the night overall
Moore - 7, didn't do much wrong and it says something when your CB is the one bringing the ball out of defence because there's no pass available
Dieng - 7, did ok but nowhere near as assured as he is in midfield
Hendrie - 7, thought he did well 1st half in particular, especially dealing with the tricky #2
McLaughlin - 6, played a wing back role for the 1st half and did an awful lot of defensive work...not terribly well
Klass - 5, just awful, had several chances for shots in the 1st half and only tried once
Batlowka - 5, ditto, kept giving the ball away and making short passes or trying killer balls which were easily intercepted
Hutchinson - 6, slightly better pass rate and made a few tackles
McCoulsky - 5, showed absolutely nothing to suggest he should be playing 1st team football
Robinson - 6, felt sorry for Theo, with little service and being closely marked, he couldn't use his trademark turn of pace to try and get behind them -on the few occasions he did there was no-one in the middle. He and McCoulsky weren't ever on the same page.

Subs:
Kightly - 5, wrong sub at the wrong time
Yearwood - 8, brought things to life but, by this time with no Robinson or McCoulsky on the pitch, there was no-one to try to feed
Gard - n/a

Was hacked off last night with this result, still hacked off this morning. Good officials though, for once. And, dare I say it, I do quite like their ground - not as soul less as one our first visit, and I thought their stewards were great too. That walk from the car park though - you wouldn't want to do that on your own if you were female!

Last edited:
Bless him, poor lad. Really hope it's not too serious. Did laugh at this quote though:

“I’ve been sitting with young Lewis and he’s a bit high because he’s having gas and air but he’s not having a baby,” said Powell

Thanks OBL for the summary and reading between the lines of everything it would seem SCP has some thinking and forward planning to do.
Never gonna be nice losing to Col U

Yearwood - 8, brought things to life but, by this time with no Robinson or McCoulsky on the pitch, there was no-one to try to feed

Completely agree with that summary OBL, I also said the obvious sub was Turner so Dieng could move into midfield. The only thing I would say is I think you’ll find McCoulsky was on the pitch for the whole game - it maybe just seemed like he wasn’t!!!

Completely agree with that summary OBL, I also said the obvious sub was Turner so Dieng could move into midfield. The only thing I would say is I think you’ll find McCoulsky was on the pitch for the whole game - it maybe just seemed like he wasn’t!!!

Oh yeah, you're right, thought he was the last sub off!

This game represented an opportunity for us Blues fans based in Norfolk and Suffolk to see them in action without the added travel to RH. My brother and I saw the selection and were pleased that Chris had given the youngsters a chance, which was the other main reason for attending. We wanted to see the likes of Hutch and Batlokwa. Oh dear, what a huge disappointment. No one had the skill or desire to unpick a pretty solid looking Col U defence. But we played into their hands by launching long high balls so often. Luke Prosser has never had an easier night, gobbling up all those hopeful punts. It really was men against boys. Whatever pace we had upfront was nullified by the lack of service on the floor.

Midfield was overrun, with nobody able to direct the play or show the necessary energy. It cried out for Coxy to come on but he was obviously being kept back for Gills. Poor Rene had a nightmare, constantly losing possession, often hustled off the ball. Klass is an enigma. Occasional flashes of what he can do but appears languid and not showing the sort of energy and commitment displayed by Dru when he made a late appearance at 2-0.

The pick of the bunch was in defence where Tim D made his first appearance at CB and showed what a class act he is, cool, calm and collected. A proper footballer, as is Moore, who again showed his ability. What a great signing and we must hope City don't haul him back in Jan. Bish did OK apart from some dodgy kicking on a couple of occasions.

What the game did show for me is that Kites and Macca have had their best days. Very similar in that they have some energy and appear hungry but their pace has gone and with it the ability to outstrip defenders. This in stark contrast to the Col U no 7, who had electric pace and skill to go with it. The best piece of skill all night came from a delicious dummy when, a la Messi, he simply let a ball fizzed to him run past him without a touch and then turned our defender and left him for dead as he sped away and picked his way through our defence with twists and feints. CP must have made a note, surely, the sort of player who can unlock defences with skill and pace.

The evening drifted to its inevitable conclusion, that if we had played til midnight we would not score. The sight of poor Gard being carried off summed up the night. Such bad luck for the lad, don't think he had touched the ball until the tangle which caused the injury.

Let us hope that the likes of Bunn, Cox, Mantom and Hopper are fit and raring to go on Saturday, otherwise I fear for us in another local derby.

My first visit to the Community Stadium and was impressed. Functional but not soulless, with some good facilities. Col U fans stayed away and we must have outnumbered them 2 to 1. But to them the spoils of victory. For Chris the thought that we may have a large squad but are we well enough equipped to launch a concerted effort to reach the top six if we have to rely on some of the youngsters at times?

We drove back north hugely disappointed but, as we know all too well, following the Blues always was, as is, a roller coaster of emotions.

This game represented an opportunity for us Blues fans based in Norfolk and Suffolk to see them in action without the added travel to RH. My brother and I saw the selection and were pleased that Chris had given the youngsters a chance, which was the other main reason for attending. We wanted to see the likes of Hutch and Batlokwa. Oh dear, what a huge disappointment. No one had the skill or desire to unpick a pretty solid looking Col U defence. But we played into their hands by launching long high balls so often. Luke Prosser has never had an easier night, gobbling up all those hopeful punts. It really was men against boys. Whatever pace we had upfront was nullified by the lack of service on the floor.

Midfield was overrun, with nobody able to direct the play or show the necessary energy. It cried out for Coxy to come on but he was obviously being kept back for Gills. Poor Rene had a nightmare, constantly losing possession, often hustled off the ball. Klass is an enigma. Occasional flashes of what he can do but appears languid and not showing the sort of energy and commitment displayed by Dru when he made a late appearance at 2-0.

The pick of the bunch was in defence where Tim D made his first appearance at CB and showed what a class act he is, cool, calm and collected. A proper footballer, as is Moore, who again showed his ability. What a great signing and we must hope City don't haul him back in Jan. Bish did OK apart from some dodgy kicking on a couple of occasions.

What the game did show for me is that Kites and Macca have had their best days. Very similar in that they have some energy and appear hungry but their pace has gone and with it the ability to outstrip defenders. This in stark contrast to the Col U no 7, who had electric pace and skill to go with it. The best piece of skill all night came from a delicious dummy when, a la Messi, he simply let a ball fizzed to him run past him without a touch and then turned our defender and left him for dead as he sped away and picked his way through our defence with twists and feints. CP must have made a note, surely, the sort of player who can unlock defences with skill and pace.

The evening drifted to its inevitable conclusion, that if we had played til midnight we would not score. The sight of poor Gard being carried off summed up the night. Such bad luck for the lad, don't think he had touched the ball until the tangle which caused the injury.

Let us hope that the likes of Bunn, Cox, Mantom and Hopper are fit and raring to go on Saturday, otherwise I fear for us in another local derby.

My first visit to the Community Stadium and was impressed. Functional but not soulless, with some good facilities. Col U fans stayed away and we must have outnumbered them 2 to 1. But to them the spoils of victory. For Chris the thought that we may have a large squad but are we well enough equipped to launch a concerted effort to reach the top six if we have to rely on some of the youngsters at times?

We drove back north hugely disappointed but, as we know all too well, following the Blues always was, as is, a roller coaster of emotions.

It was a poor spectacle, played almost as a friendly as I thought it would be, most of our best players either didn't get selected or played for short periods such as Norris who played the last 10 minutes. You didn't outnumber the home fans although I agree many did stay away because they don't like this competition and what it has turned into, a back door opportunity for Prem reserve teams. The crowd was 1516 and out of that total the Shrimpers had a magnificent total of 541 fans, great support for an away game in this competition. That was the first game we have won in this competition for nearly 10 years, there has never been any interest in it, from the club or the fans. For those wondering how many of our players were 1st team regulars, here are the details from our local paper.

McGreal makes seven changes to his side for the game against Southend, adopting a 3-5-2 formation.
Goalkeeper Rene Gilmartin, Frankie Kent, Brennan Dickenson, Brandon Comley, Diaz Wright, Mikael Mandron and Aaron Collins were all given the chance to shine.
Dillon Barnes, Courtney Senior, Harry Pell, Luke Norris and Kane Vincent-Young all dropped to the bench, while Tom Lapslie and Frank Nouble were not included in the 18 against a Southend side who themselves made nine changes.

Totally amazed that to read that their were more Colu fans than Shrimpers someone needs a new calculator! !

Back