• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Colchester Utd vs Southend Utd CheckaTrade Trophy

I have never known Southend outnumber Colchester, when we play at home.
It's only a short drive from Colchester to Southend if you want to change allegiance CaP. Think of it, good football (mostly), decent crowds, sea front down the road, what's not to like? Oh, and it would only cost you £5 to watch Southend in the CheckaTrade, a bargain.

New Ground for me. Went to Layer Road many times.
Cant stand the chekatrade trophy when under 23's are in it.
However I don't have many grounds left to do with Southend United.
So too good a opportunity to miss.
I will predict we could well have nearly 500 supporters there tom eve.
So that may mean we outnumber the home support, it would be interesting the last time away supporters
outnumbered the home support, as I can see that happening!!

It's only a short drive from Colchester to Southend if you want to change allegiance CaP. Think of it, good football (mostly), decent crowds, sea front down the road, what's not to like? Oh, and it would only cost you £5 to watch Southend in the CheckaTrade, a bargain.

Very good RHB but I think I will pass on that!

New Ground for me. Went to Layer Road many times.
Cant stand the chekatrade trophy when under 23's are in it.
However I don't have many grounds left to do with Southend United.
So too good a opportunity to miss.
I will predict we could well have nearly 500 supporters there tom eve.
So that may mean we outnumber the home support, it would be interesting the last time away supporters
outnumbered the home support, as I can see that happening!!

I would save your money Steve and come to Colchester next season when we play you in league 1!

Blimey at this rate be suprised if attendance reaches 1000.
Just notice that only 2 stands opened for this game they they put the Shrimpers in Job stand opposite their main stand.
I don’t think there’ll be 1,000 as I’m not anticipating more than 950 of us to be there.

It's very unlikely nowadays because of ticket allocation to the away club. But I can assure you we outnumbered you at the old Layer Road ground in the 70s. We normally had 2 sides, and all Colchester fans would run across(usually chased) into the Barside stand, when even more Southend fans turned up. So we would end up with 3 sides of the ground. Pay on the gate in those days, and not much control.

It's very unlikely nowadays because of ticket allocation to the away club. But I can assure you we outnumbered you at the old Layer Road ground in the 70s. We normally had 2 sides, and all Colchester fans would run across(usually chased) into the Barside stand, when even more Southend fans turned up. So we would end up with 3 sides of the ground. Pay on the gate in those days, and not much control.

I was there at every game in the 1970s and although you were very well supported I never thought we were outnumbered.

You would have thought that as these games are usually low in numbers that Colchester would have made their ticket prices more attractive to get greater number in .Guess they have made calculations and made this decision.

Only due to segregation....when you played Leeds a couple ?? of seasons ago....
I believe that they were given a 2 Stand allocation.If we were given a similar amount, which would sell easily - every League game at Colchester....sells out.
It would also boost your income, although I'm sure it can't / won't ever be done ...due to embarrassment ??

C & P, am I right in thinking we Shrimpers are sat in the stand opposite the "main" stand with tunnel, and along the side of the pitch, as opposed to an end? If so does it have bar/food/onions; and toilets that don't smell and have soaked floor and no water?

well if it goes all wrong on Tuesday at least it won't take long to get home, lets hope for a strong line up and plenty of goals for the 900+ to enjoy......

We must of outnumbered them when we destroyed them the year we won league 1. Know loads of people who were in the 'home' ends at layer road.

Only due to segregation....when you played Leeds a couple ?? of seasons ago....
I believe that they were given a 2 Stand allocation.If we were given a similar amount, which would sell easily - every League game at Colchester....sells out.
It would also boost your income, although I'm sure it can't / won't ever be done ...due to embarrassment ??

No they were just given all the East stand on the side roughly 3000 tickets they asked for more but were turned down.

Last edited:
C & P, am I right in thinking we Shrimpers are sat in the stand opposite the "main" stand with tunnel, and along the side of the pitch, as opposed to an end? If so does it have bar/food/onions; and toilets that don't smell and have soaked floor and no water?

Yes you are in the corner opposite the main stand, there should be a bar, food, (Onions!) and decent toilets! When I say a bar it will just be an outlet selling food and drink in the concourse under the stand.

Although I live in Colchester, getting back from London (West End) in tomorrow nights rush hour means I've opted for ifollow for this one, I hope to make it back before KO. The 4 games i've seen watching Southend in Colchester have all been victories, LDV area semi final and the thumping 3-0 at Layer Rd (we were 3-0 up in 30 mins) and the recent Boxing day clash where we won 2-0 and the 1-0 win before that (Moussa goal) both games at WHCS.

Shame about the shuttle buses no longer being available, they went 5 mins walk from where I live!

Back