• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
Should probably give a mention of what I thought of them on the day.

Clearly the standout performer was Cureton. His footballing brain is outstanding to the extent that you feel sorry for those around him trying to keep up. Sodje made a mstake but he was on to the ball so quickly and scored before Flahavan even knew what was going on. The second was outstanding and the third clinical. I had to applaud him as he went off even if he did seem to celebrate for about ten minutes after the second goal.

Of the rest, Jackson and, as the game wore on, Izzet really used the ball well in midfield. Both full backs tried to push on all game and that caused us problems at times although we never gave them a good examination. The tactical setup meant that there were always going to be a lot of long balls and the two centre backs were clearly brought in to head and hoof all day which they both did well. All that said, you got the feeling that were it not for Cureton, that team would struggle for goals. From what I've seen of Iwelumo's goals, most of them have been laid on a plate for him.

I do like Williams. He's such a welcome contrast to Parkinson's arrogance. Very gracious comments after the match and generally seems a very likeable bloke. Tactically, he did us all ends up. Extremely well organised across the park which put the onus on our players to make something happen and usually our full backs. It was almost textbook defending.

Not all praising though. I know they are a small club but there's no reason why, with playoffs still a possibility, they couldn't sell out the away stand. The ones that turned up were quite noisy but it's difficult to put it in context when there's a goal after 38 seconds (presumably the ball was above Sodje in the air for 35 of these). The number of empty seats for a derby game was embarassing.

Most teams would struggle for goals without their star striker. We would struggle for clean sheets without a keeper as well.

Most teams would struggle for goals without their star striker. We would struggle for clean sheets without a keeper as well.

Much like us though, taking out your main goalscorer would mean so much more than a team such as, say, Birmingham. Cureton made two of those goals yesterday out of pretty much nothing as Eastwood often does for us. You don't have a particularly creative midfield and it's pretty clear who's bossing the partnership up front.

I think against us yesterday you could have tried the no keeper thing.

Haha fair play.

I liked your initial post and you are probably right about our midfield as we do lack someone who can really unlock defences.

Not sure what you mean about creating out of nothing though. The first was a defensive error and the third was a simple ball from Barker which put him clean through. The second was a great finish, but he was already within striking distance when he got the ball, so he didn't do that on his own either. Curo definitely isn't an Eastwood-type player who can pick the ball up from deep and run at defences, and he wouldn't have half of those goals without Iwelumo next to him.

Oh about his long celebrations for the second goal - it was his 20th of the season (in all competitions), which was a big deal for him personally and for us because he's the first Col U player to do that since Tony Adcock in 1983!

I thought Colchester were ok. The early goal completely settled them down and changed the course of the game entirely. Christ knows what Sodje was doing. Unbelievably bad defending.

For me, their success is down to great management. Man for man I really don't think that they're any stronger than we are but Williams has found that extra 10-20% in each of his players and that is carrying them through. The players there look like they are enjoying playing for the club right now which is in marked contrast with our lot who seem constantly pettrified. It helps that they've got two good strikers too, obviously. Cureton is a classy finisher and I got a lot of stick on here last season for saying how highly I rated Iwelumo but he showed again yesterday just what a handful he is. I think we'd be far higher in this division than we are if we had an Iwelumo or a Jon Parkin up front alongside Freddy.

Or indeed a Sam Parkin? I'd be keen on us signing him if we lost Iwelumo.

I thought Colchester were ok. The early goal completely settled them down and changed the course of the game entirely. Christ knows what Sodje was doing. Unbelievably bad defending.

For me, their success is down to great management. Man for man I really don't think that they're any stronger than we are but Williams has found that extra 10-20% in each of his players and that is carrying them through. The players there look like they are enjoying playing for the club right now which is in marked contrast with our lot who seem constantly pettrified. It helps that they've got two good strikers too, obviously. Cureton is a classy finisher and I got a lot of stick on here last season for saying how highly I rated Iwelumo but he showed again yesterday just what a handful he is. I think we'd be far higher in this division than we are if we had an Iwelumo or a Jon Parkin up front alongside Freddy.

Watching Colchester reminded me of us last season. Confidence, passion, pace and power. And punching above their weight. Good luck to them.

It's just sad to see how much of that has disappeared from our play.

With the obvious exception of Cureton, I didnt think anyone stood out. However, they have a bunch of efficient players who do their own job well and put in a performance for the team. How many Col U players would you put in our side? Probably not many but as a team they were good which is why they are where they are.

What I want to know is how much Cureton is being paid. It has surprised me that a proven player at this level could be playing for a team with a tin shack for a ground!

It also proves that there are players like him around that could partner Eastwood. I'm sure Bradbury might have once been that player, but not this season.

What I want to know is how much Cureton is being paid. It has surprised me that a proven player at this level could be playing for a team with a tin shack for a ground!

It also proves that there are players like him around that could partner Eastwood. I'm sure Bradbury might have once been that player, but not this season.

Rumour has it that Barker is the biggest earner we've got. Remeber, Curo couldn't even get in Swindon's side last season. The key to his success is having Iwelumo alongside him. The down side of his success this season is that he will be a wanted man again.

Rumour has it that Barker is the biggest earner we've got. Remeber, Curo couldn't even get in Swindon's side last season. The key to his success is having Iwelumo alongside him. The down side of his success this season is that he will be a wanted man again.

I honestly think that if you stuck cureton and eastwood in the same team it just wouldn't happen, the fact that iwemuno is partnering him makes all thye difference , every time i've seen him , he is a classic target man , strong , intelligent and also very difficult to play against , if we had someone of the simular mould partnering eastwood he would also be scoring around the 20 mark this season.

I honestly think that if you stuck cureton and eastwood in the same team it just wouldn't happen, the fact that iwemuno is partnering him makes all thye difference , every time i've seen him , he is a classic target man , strong , intelligent and also very difficult to play against , if we had someone of the simular mould partnering eastwood he would also be scoring around the 20 mark this season.

I didn't mean Cureton playing along side Eastwood, but somebody of his experience & ability to find the back of the net. Goater is a good example, although he did struggle towards the end of the season. Sherringham would have been an interesting choice, although Freddy would have wanted to have been the further forward, leading the line.

I don't think its a problem we'll have to worry about next season, we'll be looking for at least TWO new strikers. That donkey Kandol of Leeds might do a job in Div 1, especially as he is a handful in the air & does score goals in the lower leagues. This leaves another to find. I feel a new thread coming along!!

As well as having a very effective up front partnership, I thought they defended very stongly. They had 4 big, tough lads at the back and the fact that we only had a couple of decent chances reflects how well they played as well as how badly we did.

Cureton is at Layer Road because he enjoyed his loan spell with us, he hated it at Swndon where the fans never took to him and the club were not playing to his strengths. He hit it off straight away with big Chris last season, and was very instrumental in kick starting our promotion run. He has reached the stage in his career where playing regularly and enjoying his football is more important than money. I believe he took a hefty drop in his salary to leave Swindon for us, and certainly is on a fraction of the money Chris Barker is highly paid although most of that comes from his Cardiff contract. How funny is that they pay 200 grand for a player, who is then player of the year, but the following season falls out of favour with the new manager. He still had two years on his contract, but we have loaned him for free and are paying only a tiny part of his salary the rest being paid by Cardiff. I think he wants to stay at Layer Road but as I say he has another year on his contract, and we will not be able to pay anything like what he is earning at present.

Cureton is at Layer Road because he enjoyed his loan spell with us, he hated it at Swndon where the fans never took to him and the club were not playing to his strengths. He hit it off straight away with big Chris last season, and was very instrumental in kick starting our promotion run. He has reached the stage in his career where playing regularly and enjoying his football is more important than money. I believe he took a hefty drop in his salary to leave Swindon for us, and certainly is on a fraction of the money Chris Barker is highly paid although most of that comes from his Cardiff contract. How funny is that they pay 200 grand for a player, who is then player of the year, but the following season falls out of favour with the new manager. He still had two years on his contract, but we have loaned him for free and are paying only a tiny part of his salary the rest being paid by Cardiff. I think he wants to stay at Layer Road but as I say he has another year on his contract, and we will not be able to pay anything like what he is earning at present.

I'm sorry, but nobody at that stage of their career takes that much of a drop in wages. A small-ish drop maybe, but not a huge drop.

Back