• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
This Saturday sees a second attempt in 3 weeks by Mick Russell, from St Albans, to get to Roots Hall. He was originally appointed for the Stockport game and pulled out through injury to be replaced by Trevor Kettle.

He is (usually) a very decent referee.

A very steady official, this will be his 5th Southend match and his third at Roots Hall. His first home Southend match was also Freddie Eastwood's first match and we know what happened there! His other home game was the early season victory over Stoke.

Both of his away matches have been on the south coast; the 1-1 draw at Bournemouth when Sodje was injured and the 3-2 defeat at Brighton recently.

These 4 matches have produced just 4 cards and surprisingly he is yet to caution a Southend player (and, yes, McCormack was playing!). His normal card count is about 2 per match.

Judging by his appointments he is quite well rated by the powers that be.

Assistants are Eamonn Smith from Surrey and Irvine Woodward from East Sussex with Richard Beevor wielding the numbers board.

NOTE: He was again replaced at the last minute on Tuesday night at Exeter by Grant Hegley.

If he has to pull out again, then please God they send us someone really top class as the replacement.

If he has to pull out again, then please God they send us someone really top class as the replacement.

Unlikely given that it'd be last minute.

I have my whistle and cards at the ready by the phone, waiting for the call...

Last edited:
This Saturday sees a second attempt in 3 weeks by Mick Russell, from St Albans, to get to Roots Hall. He was originally appointed for the Stockport game and pulled out through injury to be replaced by Trevor Kettle.

He is (usually) a very decent referee.

A very steady official, this will be his 5th Southend match and his third at Roots Hall. His first home Southend match was also Freddie Eastwood's first match and we know what happened there! His other home game was the early season victory over Stoke.

Both of his away matches have been on the south coast; the 1-1 draw at Bournemouth when Sodje was injured and the 3-2 defeat at Brighton recently.

These 4 matches have produced just 4 cards and surprisingly he is yet to caution a Southend player (and, yes, McCormack was playing!). His normal card count is about 2 per match.

Judging by his appointments he is quite well rated by the powers that be.

Assistants are Eamonn Smith from Surrey and Irvine Woodward from East Sussex with Richard Beevor wielding the numbers board.

NOTE: He was again replaced at the last minute on Tuesday night at Exeter by Grant Hegley.

And so he is still, think our opponents made up for it though yesterday.

I liked the way the Ref tried to play the advantage & wasn't afraid to pull back play, but that was his only plus point. Some of the unpunished fouls on Southend players would have been red cards with some of the ****e Refs we've had this season.

I refer mainly to the crunching fouls from behind, of which there were many. I thought a foul from behind was an automatic red card, but not with this Ref. Some of the fouls early on were worse than some that were booked later on! :stunned:

I know that with the possible exception of the Merseyside derby, most Refs seem to make allowances for the "passion" of the Derby & let a few fouls go. Fair enough, but some of those on Laurent were appalling. Its a shame we didn't kick lumps out of that little prick Perkins, who seemed to run things for them. This is the only time I've missed a Maher-type player, as he would have made sure that Perkins wouldn't have had the legs to run the midfield!

That's exactly why Macca should have come on earlier though as well, he's more than capable of dishing up retribution Maher style!

Ref was rubbish as far as I'm concerned and well deserving of the name that my son gave him which I'm not at liberty to divulge publicly!

That's exactly why Macca should have come on earlier though as well, he's more than capable of dishing up retribution Maher style!

Ref was rubbish as far as I'm concerned and well deserving of the name that my son gave him which I'm not at liberty to divulge publicly!

Oh go on Kay. I'm intrigued now.

Ok Harry, his choice of name remember not mine..........

Scrotum face

because his face looked like

a ball bag! :D

Sorry, thought it was very funny!

Worth the wait! You wait until he calls him a country boy or the shortened version!!

Back