• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coldest Southend games

Definitely MK dons away.
I used to smoke then and you were allowed to smoke on the terraces. I remember I kept lighting up just to get some warmth in my hands

Another vote for MK Dons at the hockey stadium. Certainly one of those days where you think “why do I bother?”

There certainly have been a few at home over the years but they don’t stick in the memory as much.

Tranmere at home 2nd January 1995.
Finished 0-0. I remember the pitch had frost all over it. Never been so cold sitting in the west stand.
I think this was a game when the Tranmere physio was sat in the dug out in tee shirt and shorts. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Mk dons at stadium MK a good few years was very very cold.

I think we played either Halifax or Bury on a Tuesday night and it went to extra time. Literally about minus 4. With ice on the pitch. Feet were completely numb.

I'd have to put this weekend's game up there, no cover from the wind made it horrid. Luckily it wasn't raining (or snowing)!

Some days at Gillingham could be up there? I seem to remember one season, we had the North Bank open and a game went to penalties, it was minus 3 by the end of the game? (I can't remember who it was against though?)

Chesterfield away at saltergate in the cup drew 1 all won the replay spent half the game trying to roll a fag

Wycombe away Boxing day 2004. I'm pretty sure one touchline was completely frozen. I could never understand how they let the game go ahead. Freddies winner kept us warm.
Yeah I remember arriving at the ground and expecting it to be postponed

No doubt about it, MK Don's away, that was bloody bitter.

I can handle the cold and wind, that was something different, rain was coming at us diagonal in our faces and hard, more like hailstones.

Infact, I've never seen so many angry fans in my life, we were kept in after the game but a group of blokes ripped open the metal gates and everyone stormed out in silence because we couldn't speak, we were so cold.

Last edited:
I recall an away game at afc Wimbledon where it was freezing.Cant recall the exact date but I remember it was on boxing day about 3-5 years ago

Wycombe away in Dec 2014 was horrific because the coach arrived way too early (12pm) and we were all sat freezing our nuts off in a tent for 2 hours before allowed into the stadium to witness a 4-1 battering.
Apart from that, did you have a good time?

Wycombe away Boxing day 2004. I'm pretty sure one touchline was completely frozen. I could never understand how they let the game go ahead. Freddies winner kept us warm.
It was so cold that day I even forked out for a Wasps bobble hat for my daughter…….

I'll put a punt in for Scunthorpe away October 2008. The cold was amplified by being surrounded by the concrete away end that is Glanford Park. Made it like watching the game sitting in a fridge!

Back