• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coldest Southend games

Dons away Xmas or New Years 2007 or 08 cant quite remember. Ive also been told my first ever Southend game (I was probably no more than a year old so no recollection) it was freezing cold and I wouldnt stop saying I want to go home. Must be cold every game cos I find myself always saying that now.

Last edited:
Had to look it up to remember it, but against Leyton Orient on Boxing Day 2000. We lost 1-0
- easily forgettable. I can’t even remember the game, but I can remember that it was baltic.

Dons away Xmas or New Years 2007 or 08 cant quite remember. Ive also been told my first ever Southend game (I was probably no more than a year old so no recollection) it was freezing cold and I wouldnt stop saying I want to go home. Must be cold every game cos I find myself always saying that now.

That's child abuse, forget about the weather, taking a young baby to watch Southend should come with a 10 year sentence.

I'm joking, it's good that you have some memory of things so young watching Southend, most of us want to forget them :)

It feels freezing up north whenever you go there, so it's hard to differentiate, but I recall it being very chilly at Burnley on New Year's Eve when we had to play in their away kit, got two men sent off and lost 5-1 (possibly 5-2?). Coldest home game I recall was Padova at home in the AIC but the 5-2 win warmed me up. Gary Jones played like Gerd Muller that night.

It feels freezing up north whenever you go there, so it's hard to differentiate, but I recall it being very chilly at Burnley on New Year's Eve when we had to play in their away kit, got two men sent off and lost 5-1 (possibly 5-2?). Coldest home game I recall was Padova at home in the AIC but the 5-2 win warmed me up. Gary Jones played like Gerd Muller that night.
Torquay united away Dave smiths prom,
> M5 blocked 5 miles got home monday sat night kickoff

Defo MK Dons hockey stadium. Uncovered terrace, was ridiculously cold. Maybe coldest I've been in my life, was just genuinely numb from head to toe.

Oddly, next season we played them again at their new ground and was also a bitterly cold day, but at least was under cover.
I got stuck in traffic and arrived 20 mins late. When I went in the away crowd, nearly full were all day deadly quiet. I asked someone the score (pre smart phones) and was amazed that we were winning, given the quiet.

I sat down and 10 minutes later my jaw had also frozen

Liverpool FA Cup 1979. Standing on the South Bank with "one or two others". Snow in the faces, chill factor added. But what a game! So close..if only Stuart Parker had better control of the ball. Back to a friends house as a bunch of us thawed out with hot chocolate whilst watching the highlights on the TV.

I got stuck in traffic and arrived 20 mins late. When I went in the away crowd, nearly full were all day deadly quiet. I asked someone the score (pre smart phones) and was amazed that we were winning, given the quiet.

I sat down and 10 minutes later my jaw had also frozen
You're right actually, it was eerily quiet now i think back!

cup game against Liverpool at home .RE arranged fixture to mid week due to snow on the sat. we were forced to go onto the high banked south stand .And it was freezing cold that night .

Southend 0-0 with York City on 27th January 2004 (I think) was not only a terrible game but easily the coldest I’ve ever been at a football match.

EDIT just looking at the starting line up, I would never have believed at that point that the majority of the side that played that day would go on to get us back to back promotions.
Parallels to now in that we were persisting with someone whose legs had gone in Mark Warren and were only a couple of players away from turning it around.
Tranmere at home 2nd January 1995.
Finished 0-0. I remember the pitch had frost all over it. Never been so cold sitting in the west stand.
Gary Jones hit the post.
Can’t imagine they’d play that match nowadays and we’re probably none the worse for not having such games. The match seemed to be something of a truce with both sides just concentrating on getting through it.

Milton Keynes away at the National Hockey Stadium was far colder than Alty
away on Saturday.
Only got back to Rochford yesterday at about 11 p.m.
I will say if the game would have been scheduled for Sunday.
I doubt it would have gone ahead, as it was below freezing. Minus 4 at night.
Plus the snow showers during the day on Sunday in Manchester were the worse i have seen for years.
That was cold but not as bad as M.K.

easy ---- Sunderland away at Roker Park probably about 25 years ago .... at the back of the open end , overlooking the sea to the right hand side , pitch black , rain + sleet driving into our faces , long drive home with soggy socks. Luckily we often seemed to get great results up there!

Coldest I have ever felt was definitely away against MK Dons at the National Hockey Stadium on Sat 18 Mar 2006 with 7,071 in attendance. The game finished 2-1 to MK Don's after Southend had taken the lead with a Shaun Goater in the 13th minute.

It was not particularly cold day temperature wise with a max of 4.7 Degrees and a min of 0.9 Degrees during the day.

But it was the wind chill from the biting wind blasting over and down the high up open terrace we were all sitting/standing in, with wind gusts of 58kph at around 2.00-3.00 pm.

Weather Milton Keyes 18-03-2006.jpg
The Weather at the Hockey National Stadium Milton Keyes on 18th Match 2006

The National Hockey Stadium Milton Keyes.jpg
The Wind swept terrace at The National Hockey Stadium Milton Keyes

The Shrimpers Team that day

Team.jpg

How did we not win with that team?

Oldham away on a snowy Tuesday night was close for me...…..Barnsley on that open terrace so cold I had my fingers in my coffee
also a home game against Tranmere when we had snow all over the pitch and an orange beech ball

Bury at home, replay in the F A Cup in the Paul Sturrock era. Never should have been played, temperature continued to drop and by half time the pitch was an ice rink. Players really struggled to keep their feet.
Somebody came out of a hospitality box toward the end of the game to shout: 'it's minus one out here!'
I seem to remember a final shoot-out penalty was scored by Freddy (?) - and that was it for me.
I was already on the top stop of the East Stand staircase ready to bomb down Victoria Ave just to get warm again!

Back