• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Come Home Adam Barrett

WESTY_SUFC

Now is the time. Your duty is called. Southend legend!

Now is the time. Your duty is called. Southend legend!
In my opinion it has to be Adam. This club needs an almighty lift. Not just a breathe of fresh air but bordering on tropical storm level. We desperately need infectious enthusiasm, belief, motivation, leadership, knowledge and organisation. I don't think we need massive changes in tactics as such. Just a way of playing that our defenders can understand and have confidence in so that they, also have confidence in their abilities as a unit to be tight and disciplined. This will, in turn, Provide a platform for those in front to believe in our ability to win games and will boost the confidence of the midfield and strike force. Let players express themselves but in an organised structure. I think Adam is very capable of achieving this and more

No doubt he'll come with a no-nonsense approach and instil a sense of pride, which seems to be what that group need...... I have to say though, I always have concerns over inexperienced managers and their tactical naivety. We cannot afford another dud, or else League 2 here we come.

I think given the circumstances, someone with more experience would be preferable.

I thought we may have learned our lesson with the failure of CP who was a returning hero who sadly failed. Do we really want to risk another similar scenario? I say go with experience and track record to get us out of the rut we are currently in. COYBB.

For me it will be desperately disappointing if we look to appoint Barrett. I've got no doubt that he will come back to Blues in some capacity in the future - but the time is not now. Let him gather more experience of all aspects of management in his coaching role for the time being before he takes on his first management role. If you get that wrong it can be your last and the extra pressure for him to do well here, particularly with the legacy issues he is going to inherit - I don't agree with Ron that either SCP or KB signings were strong - could prove far too much.

Adam, like all of us would run through brick walls for this club. Like us he is passionate about Southend United. He is a club legend, someone who as a blue you’ll always remember him fondly. Whilst I’d love to see him as manager here one day, that day is not yet. I totally get the argument that experience isn’t everything and that there are plenty of current managers in the game who have proved just that but for every one of them, there are two or three who have failed to make the jump to being the man in charge. Giving Adam the job right now with this squad of players, we’d only be setting him up to fail o fear and given how badly it ended with Chris Powell, another legend of the club I’d rather avoid that so shortly after Powell’s dismissal. I’d have no problem with Adam coming in to be involved with the next manager (if that’s something he’d want to do) but at the same time I’d still have had Kevin Maher at the club for similar reasons. For me right now, we need someone to come in and who isn’t necessary going to play pretty, possession football but someone who is going to work with what we have, get the basics right and make us hard to beat with a bit of fight about us (something we seem to lack, we are a very soft bunch) and for that I’d love to see Phil Parkinson.

Adam, like all of us would run through brick walls for this club. Like us he is passionate about Southend United. He is a club legend, someone who as a blue you’ll always remember him fondly. Whilst I’d love to see him as manager here one day, that day is not yet. I totally get the argument that experience isn’t everything and that there are plenty of current managers in the game who have proved just that but for every one of them, there are two or three who have failed to make the jump to being the man in charge. Giving Adam the job right now with this squad of players, we’d only be setting him up to fail o fear and given how badly it ended with Chris Powell, another legend of the club I’d rather avoid that so shortly after Powell’s dismissal. I’d have no problem with Adam coming in to be involved with the next manager (if that’s something he’d want to do) but at the same time I’d still have had Kevin Maher at the club for similar reasons. For me right now, we need someone to come in and who isn’t necessary going to play pretty, possession football but someone who is going to work with what we have, get the basics right and make us hard to beat with a bit of fight about us (something we seem to lack, we are a very soft bunch) and for that I’d love to see Phil Parkinson.

Agree 99.9% just couldn't face Phil Parkinson being put in charge of my football club sorry.

Sorry but no, now is not the right time. Just think we need someone with more first team managerial experience. I wouldn’t be adverse to him returning as an assistant with a view to being a future manager of us.

We need someone with football experience I would love Adam Barrett I hope one day he come homes to get through this season we need someone who knows the game

Just no. Barrett is an absolute legend at the club and he'd certainly bring the passion back, but he has no managerial experience whatsoever. This is NOT the time to experiment. We need someone who knows the league, someone who can get us out of this mess. I'd happily have Barrett as a #2, but not as manager. Also, if Barrett came in and it all went wrong, do we need that again after Powell? Rowett would be my choice, but he won't ever come here. My money is on Parkinson.

Parkinson over Barrett every day. Campbell might be an option too. Surely he's based in the London area? Or Michael Appleton.

It's a gamble ,but Eddie Howe proves it's the individual having the right ideas and attributes for management .If Parky etc were always such a success story they wouldn't be out of work and working in the lower leagues.

I get the arguments for and against Barrett and I get the theory behind bringing in a guy with experience and not taking risks. However .. Chris Powell was not a totally inexperienced, untried manager. He ultimately failed but he did pretty well at first. I thought at the time it was a shrewd appointment by RM and I’d personally have given him more time last season as he was cursed with awful luck with injuries/form. You can’t compare him and Barrett, other than the “club legend” angle and I think actually SCP was worth the punt. Also, Sol Campbell keeps being mentioned .. is one season at Macclesfield, a league below, really deemed “experienced” whereas some are totally writing Barrett off? To me, experienced equals out of a job and why? Because they’re not good enough to be employed elsewhere ..

I get the arguments for and against Barrett and I get the theory behind bringing in a guy with experience and not taking risks. However .. Chris Powell was not a totally inexperienced, untried manager. He ultimately failed but he did pretty well at first. I thought at the time it was a shrewd appointment by RM and I’d personally have given him more time last season as he was cursed with awful luck with injuries/form. You can’t compare him and Barrett, other than the “club legend” angle and I think actually SCP was worth the punt. Also, Sol Campbell keeps being mentioned .. is one season at Macclesfield, a league below, really deemed “experienced” whereas some are totally writing Barrett off? To me, experienced equals out of a job and why? Because they’re not good enough to be employed elsewhere ..

I don't think Campbell was at Macclesfield for much more than half a year, let alone a season.

I love SCP and thought he did a great job here when he first joined. Promotion form for the second half of the 2017/18 season. But Adam Barrett is way more "management material" than Powell is.

Any particular reason mate?

Horrible bloke. Some might say just what we need at the moment - but six games in and only three to go down this year from L1 I'd like to think we've got time to go for someone who can not only turn it around on the pitch but also a bit more charismatic to get the fans back on side too and the club buzzing again. Wouldn't be breaking my neck to get down to RH to watch one of PP's teams tbh. Seem to remember a lot of opposing managers holding grudges and having right spats with him on the touch line. Again, that might appeal to some - but not me. People think that a manager these days needs to be on the touch line, waving their arms, clashing with the other bench and showing what they call 'passion'. Thing is I don't ever remember seeing Dave Webb doing that - he often watched games from the Directors Box - and there hasn't been another manager in the 40+ years I've watched Blues that had the respect of players and fans than Webby - never mind the success.

But White
But White, Wordsworth,Baldwin playing for us is ok?:Unsure:

No problem with that at all. The fact he used to be manager down the road has got nothing to do with it. Never really understood why there is the animosity actually - surely Orient, Charlton, Gillingham, Charlton, West Ham and now Dagenham aren't really any further away are they?

Back