• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Come Home Adam Barrett

too soon for Barrett....in 5 or so years when hes had some first hand experience but we will only get stuck deeper in the mud i feel.
Why wait 5 years.....his career could be in tatters by then, if he goes to the wrong club, doesnt get the right breaks etc etc.

Don’t think Lincoln or Bournemouth waited 5 years for their respective managers!

It’s all about the right here right now....who else would lift the malaise around our football club. For Parkinson it’s just another club...very much like Bond.

Their really is only one Adam Barrett!!!

Why wait 5 years.....his career could be in tatters by then, if he goes to the wrong club, doesnt get the right breaks etc etc.

Don’t think Lincoln or Bournemouth waited 5 years for their respective managers!

It’s all about the right here right now....who else would lift the malaise around our football club. For Parkinson it’s just another club...very much like Bond.

Their really is only one Adam Barrett!!!

Alternatively, Barrett could be so successful that in 5 years time, he might be managing at a lot higher level than us and never drop to our level.

Wouldn't surprise me If Barrett came in with Tilly working with him

What does Coker know?
Having played the game, played under a number of managers, played for this club and played with Barrett (and just as importantly, seen how he galvanises the players in the dressing room), I'd say he's well entitled to an opinion. And I'd argue he has a FAR better insight than we do.

What does Coker know? Too early for Barrett

Only shared a dressing room with him for about 3 years. Trained with him every day.

Why is it early?

The last manager that took us to the championship had no experience at all

All this “you need an experienced man for the job” is an absolute myth

Alternatively, Barrett could be so successful that in 5 years time, he might be managing at a lot higher level than us and never drop to our level.

This. We missed the boat on the Cowleys because they’ve done well elsewhere

Not that our respective timelines would have ever really crossed as when Brown when was probably our most realistic chance but they were already doing well at Lincoln

Don’t let another slip the net

It’s a risk to appoint AB just like it is to employ anyone in football these days. There seems to be a lot of hopes hanging on the fact AB was a leader on the field and seemingly has the tools to do well in man management etc but plenty of managers who have experience and man management skills are available. “Barrett would run through walls for this club” I was told earlier. I absolutely agree he would but what good does that do us on the sideline? His passion for the club, his desire to win for this club could actually go against us by turning players against him like the precious little cherubs a lot of them are nowadays. I’d love for AB to come in, do a remarkable job by keeping us up, pushing us on towards promotion etc but hiring him does come with its risks.

I’d wager Spencer Prior knows even more and he favours Phil Parkinson for the job.

What Spencer Prior probably won't know is the players that are in this Southend squad right now, and the character they show.

Coker was involved last season, albeit from the treatment room.

When was the last time he shared a dressing room with any of these players, or at the Club for that matter.

He shared a dressing room with Adam. He was coached by Phil albeit for a short period. He speaks as a person with a huge amount of footballing experience.. why dismiss what he says but believe what Coker says?

What Spencer Prior probably won't know is the players that are in this Southend squad right now, and the character they show.

Coker was involved last season, albeit from the treatment room.

Both Ben and Spencer make good points though, Spencer goes on to explain his reasoning behind why he thinks Phil would be good for the job as well.

If we were an attractive proposition to someone, I would say let’s go and get the Nathan Jones, Danny Cowley, Gary Rowett etc etc. Sadly, we are not.
The realistic option for us (maybe Parkinson aside) is a journeyman manager that’s failed more times than he has achieved. For me, that is just as much risk as AB.

I don’t get the theory that it’s too early for him. If he believes it’s not then that’s good enough for me. Barrett is fully qualified, assistant manager at a championship side and ready to step up. I’d much rather take the ‘risk’ now as opposed to potentially looking back in a couple of years moaning about how we missed out by not giving him the job.

Also, what’s the worst that can happen? We get relegated and then properly rebuild under a young manager like AB. I don’t want to state the obvious but we may well get relegated whoever we appoint.... even Jose Mourinho could struggle to keep this lot up. Barrett all day long for me, someone we could really get behind and bring some much needed feel good factor and galvanisation to the club.

Both Ben and Spencer make good points though, Spencer goes on to explain his reasoning behind why he thinks Phil would be good for the job as well.

Is there a link to what Prior has said?

To be honest I would be ok with either being appointed but feel I would be more excited with AB, purely for who he is for Southend United already.

If we could get Parkinson in till the end of the season and then AB take over once the ship was settled that would probably be more ideal but why not go for a bit of romance?

Back