• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Come Home Adam Barrett

Is there a link to what Prior has said?

To be honest I would be ok with either being appointed but feel I would be more excited with AB, purely for who he is for Southend United already.

If we could get Parkinson in till the end of the season and then AB take over once the ship was settled that would probably be more ideal but why not go for a bit of romance?

If you’re on Twitter mate just search for him and read through his tweets.

I’d wager Spencer Prior knows even more and he favours Phil Parkinson for the job.

And I’d wager that Ben Coker’s recent (2 years) experience of working with Adam Barrett and his very recent knowledge of the atmosphere and inner-workings of SUFC (and therefore what he feels is needed here) holds more water than Spencer Prior’s 15-16 years old judgement of both men.

And I’d wager that Ben Coker’s recent (2 years) experience of working with Adam Barrett and his very recent knowledge of the atmosphere and inner-workings of SUFC (and therefore what he feels is needed here) holds more water than Spencer Prior’s 15-16 years old judgement of both men.

I accept that, I just think both make compelling arguments as to why they think one or the other should get the job.

At the end of the day, I want Phil Parkinson to take charge, I gather that you want Adam Barrett. I can see arguments for and against both men. I wouldn’t be overly disappointed if it were Adam, after all the “coming home” aspect of it makes it intriguing. I just worry that if it were Adam things would get worse before they got better.. as a club are we prepared for that to happen and as a fan base are we prepared to give Adam the time it would need to get us performing?

I could however be totally wrong and Adam comes in, fills the players with confidence and we storm up the league etc in which case I’m a numpty for ever doubting him. The joys of football aye.

I accept that, I just think both make compelling arguments as to why they think one or the other should get the job.

At the end of the day, I want Phil Parkinson to take charge, I gather that you want Adam Barrett. I can see arguments for and against both men. I wouldn’t be overly disappointed if it were Adam, after all the “coming home” aspect of it makes it intriguing. I just worry that if it were Adam things would get worse before they got better.. as a club are we prepared for that to happen and as a fan base are we prepared to give Adam the time it would need to get us performing?

I could however be totally wrong and Adam comes in, fills the players with confidence and we storm up the league etc in which case I’m a numpty for ever doubting him. The joys of football aye.

I'd have to agree that Parkinson seems to be what we need right now however everything I've read about his team's style of football puts me off as a long term idea, not that I even know what style of football AB would have his team play.

I'd have to agree that Parkinson seems to be what we need right now however everything I've read about his team's style of football puts me off as a long term idea, not that I even know what style of football AB would have his team play.

Right now I don’t think we can demand a style of football that’s going to win us praise but instead we need a style that’s going to win us points. Under Bond there were glimpses that we could play a certain way but ultimately I don’t think we have the players to keep that up for the whole game.

He shared a dressing room with Adam. He was coached by Phil albeit for a short period. He speaks as a person with a huge amount of footballing experience.. why dismiss what he says but believe what Coker says?

How long ago was he sharing a dressing room with Barrett. Back then, was Barrett the same character that shared the dressing room with Coker.

I’m not dismissing it, but the interesting bit of what Coker said is more about the Club as opposed to Barrett as a manager.

Don’t forget how much football has moved on, especially the culture in the dressing rooms since Prior was involved in one.

I'd liken the populist push for Barrett to that of Boris Johnson. It's only when they get the top job they and their supporters realise that the same old problems are there - dragging their heroes down and that popularity and optimism alone aren't going to solve them. Now is not the time for someone held in such high esteem by the town to be given the job of sorting out this current mess at RH. KB talked a lot of nonsense but he was right about the malaise at the club (really after missing out on the play-offs by a point) and the need for major surgery in terms of squad.

coker needs to keep his trap shut He is a lincon player now and has sod all say in who manages our club .I couldn't give a flying fig how many years he played along side Barrett .It is up to Ron who he hires . Just hope he get in someone who has manager skills at this level .

I'd liken the populist push for Barrett to that of Boris Johnson. It's only when they get the top job they and their supporters realise that the same old problems are there - dragging their heroes down and that popularity and optimism alone aren't going to solve them. Now is not the time for someone held in such high esteem by the town to be given the job of sorting out this current mess at RH. KB talked a lot of nonsense but he was right about the malaise at the club (really after missing out on the play-offs by a point) and the need for major surgery in terms of squad.

Well at least your providing me with some hearty laughs.

Adam would make a good number 2 , someone who could keep the dressing room in check , not sure about manager .

No surprise to see the Brown didn't like/feared Barrett myth is still alive and well.

PB expected Adam to be the voice in the changing room......It might come as a shock to some fans but that is where the message gets hammered home and certainly not by a manger performing fan pleasing routines on the touchline.

Last edited:
Any respective candidate first and foremost the first question you need to ask is:

Do they have the attributes to keep us in league 1?

All other questions at this time are null and void. If we get relegated to league 2, you only have to look at likes of Chesterfield now to see how league 2 life can work out.

Southend MUST stay in league 1.

give the wrong man the job again Ron will only go against you .you got badly wrong employing a man on sentiment .please don't do it again .Choose wisely his time .

give the wrong man the job again Ron will only go against you .you got badly wrong employing a man on sentiment .please don't do it again .Choose wisely his time .
Anyone suggesting a Barrett appointment is based solely on sentiment is completely missing the point. Adam Barrett is not Steve Tilson and not Chris Powell much as some are trying to lump them all together as a sentimental 'former player' choice. There have been many arguments put forward on this thread and elsewhere that deserve far more respect than that.

I am not sure who would be the best fit now out of Barrett and Parkinson but it may take a few weeks / games to get this team playing with more confidence. I think the fan base is likely to be more patient with Barrett than Parkinson so I am concerned that things could go toxic again quickly if Parkinson gets the job. By then our season would be as good as over..

Has anyone considered that Phil Parkinson might not want to come here? I know that we are the mighty Southend United and all that, but I've just noticed we're second from bottom of League One and I have heard a vicious rumour that we have no money.

Anyone suggesting a Barrett appointment is based solely on sentiment is completely missing the point. Adam Barrett is not Steve Tilson and not Chris Powell much as some are trying to lump them all together as a sentimental 'former player' choice. There have been many arguments put forward on this thread and elsewhere that deserve far more respect than that.

The few times I watched training when AB was around, you could see him giving tips after the 11v11 games. PB would whistle up and get an academy player or two involved. No holding back just because it was training.....They were there to learn.

AB would often be seen chatting to the lad he had just given a harsh lesson to on the field.
The other one who looked to give advice was Anton. Everyone noticed the improvement in Thompson but he made Coker a better defender as well.

Has anyone considered that Phil Parkinson might not want to come here? I know that we are the mighty Southend United and all that, but I've just noticed we're second from bottom of League One and I have heard a vicious rumour that we have no money.

Had no money. Got an injection lately.

Back