• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This has almost certainly been covered before, what's the SZ view on Comic Relief in particular as it's almost upon us, and charities in general?

From a personal stand point I've never given a penny to Band Aid, Children in Need or Comic Relief. My personal belief is that charity should begin at home. I've seen heart wrenching scenes of starving children from the Belgian Congo, Biafra, Chad, Sudan. Ethiopia, Zimbabwe and numerous other countries for nigh on 50 years. Yet nothing happens, whatever despot is in power will divert funds, aid meant for the worst off of their people to their own friends and family, while stripping their country of most of it's assets and riches. These dictators are generally supported by outside countries, it just depends on which dictator is in vogue with West or East. Nothing will change and despite the laudable efforts of many people will go on starving to death or have the privilege of their government committing genocide upon them.

I also get fed up with "celebs" doing their bit, crying their crocodile tears and then ****ing off back home to their nice comfortable existence. :angry:

Over to you the great SZ public.

You can't change the world, but if you can change the life of one person then surely it's worth it? Too easy to be cynical H.....if you don't like it, just watch another channel. No one is holding a gun to your head are they?

This has almost certainly been covered before, what's the SZ view on Comic Relief in particular as it's almost upon us, and charities in general?

From a personal stand point I've never given a penny to Band Aid, Children in Need or Comic Relief. My personal belief is that charity should begin at home. I've seen heart wrenching scenes of starving children from the Belgian Congo, Biafra, Chad, Sudan. Ethiopia, Zimbabwe and numerous other countries for nigh on 50 years. Yet nothing happens, whatever despot is in power will divert funds, aid meant for the worst off of their people to their own friends and family, while stripping their country of most of it's assets and riches. These dictators are generally supported by outside countries, it just depends on which dictator is in vogue with West or East. Nothing will change and despite the laudable efforts of many people will go on starving to death or have the privilege of their government committing genocide upon them.

I also get fed up with "celebs" doing their bit, crying their crocodile tears and then ****ing off back home to their nice comfortable existence. :angry:

I'm not sure how much difference you expected the 0 you donated to make there Harry.

I hate the guilt tripping on the shows that try to get us to give money. I much prefer giving money to local charities where I see the benefits, but normally give a couple of quid to comic relief via a text to radio 1!

There was a documentary in Kibera?What was it about?

Lenny Henry, Angela Rippon, Baby Thief from Eastenders and Rastamouse were dumped in Kibera with some spare change and left to fend for themselves for a week. They were integrated with families throughout the experience, some battling HIV, some had turned to prostitution and some were orphans.

Saw a good Viz Top Tip the other day:

"Pretend it's Comic Relief every night by watching Dave and switching over to Sky News for five minutes every half hour"

Lenny Henry, Angela Rippon, Baby Thief from Eastenders and Rastamouse were dumped in Kibera with some spare change and left to fend for themselves for a week. They were integrated with families throughout the experience, some battling HIV, some had turned to prostitution and some were orphans.

So that tells us about Lenny Henry and Sam usedtobecalledJanus but what happened to the other one

Lenny Henry, Angela Rippon, Baby Thief from Eastenders and Rastamouse were dumped in Kibera with some spare change and left to fend for themselves for a week.

I'm not sure I'd want to watch it, but it does sound like an excellent idea.

I give to charities of my choosing, when I'm holding. Totally agree about how much is syphoned off, and how much actually ends up where it is meant for. A lot of people at the top of some of these charities also pay themselves outrageous wages for doing the work. Another scam,

I only give to UK charities. There are enough needy people in this country, without worrying about elsewhere in the world.

If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

You can't change the world, but if you can change the life of one person then surely it's worth it? Too easy to be cynical H.....if you don't like it, just watch another channel. No one is holding a gun to your head are they?

Sterilise all the women in the 3rd world countries after that have had one child that we are forking out for...that would save billions.....Build villages etc near water rather than building miles away and having to walk there. Why should and one of have to fork out cos the 3rd world countries can't keep it in their pants

Sterilise all the women in the 3rd world countries after that have had one child that we are forking out for...that would save billions.....Build villages etc near water rather than building miles away and having to walk there. Why should and one of have to fork out cos the 3rd world countries can't keep it in their pants

Actually the extremely intelligent Christopher Hutchins pointed out that the way to defeat poverty is to give women in 3rd world countries access to birth control and enable them to make the choice (its the guys that tend to do the raping and hold power over there ).http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJDXME47K7s (Hitches has since changed his mind on the liberation of Iraq btw ;))

Most sadly are founded on Christian/muslim ethics and or resources removed by international companies who just want a profit (notice i do not necessaries equate that with counties , certain diamond firms ethics are questionable to say the least)

I agree that i give to who i wish to . However Comic Relier does and always has given about 50% of what it recieves to UK charities .

Nice. I think it's more to do with a shocking rate of infant mortality in the Third World, something us in the 1st take for granted.

I saw a programme where an African woman was so desperate for an abortion she stuck some poisonous herbs up her vagina, which killed the foetus, which in turn killed her.

Oh yeah.Heard about it.This was the one where AR was advised to sell her snatch to survive right?Sounds more like a reality show than a documentary to me.

Back