• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Comment: This is as bad as it's been for Southend United in 30 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I totally agree with Rigsby.
Yes, the football was dire and we flirted with the bottom of what is now League 2. yes, Anton Johnson was a crook, Vic Jobson was a horror, but at least they didn't asset-strip the infrastructure of club the way that Ron Martin has been allowed to do and although finances were precarious it was in an era where wages were much lower.
When RM bought the club it included Roots Hall, Boots & Laces etc, now the club has nothing as he's hived everything else off, put it in his own companies and mortgaged it, rents everything to the club at sky-high interest rates, charges outrageous 'consultancy fees' then claims he's 'invested his own money' which half the people on here actually believe. I fear this is only going to end one way.

Nobody spends 22 years and £19m/20m to asset strip a football club that was worth £1 when they took over.....Look how quickly the owner of Bury achieved it.

The football structure is now entirely different to the eighties including the financial side of the game.....don't belittle the paying supporter who is the lifeblood of the club and the reason for its existence. They care about the club being on the knife edge of going under on and off the pitch....and this feels different

What about all us true paying supporters who don't have faux bed wetting sessions at every defeat or opportunity because of their long term hatred of all things Ron.

My comment was about the 80's and yes it was worse than it is now with crowds of less than 1500 and then the South bank sold off.

I know those people who don't pay but moan from the safety of another country wont agree. But anyone who is old enough to have experienced it knows it was far worse.

The deal was always that Sainsburys would own every bit of RH and the new ground would be built on our training ground. When FF goes through the club will have gained far more than it has lost under Ron......Absolute undeniable fact

Yes, good luck with getting some answers. You have no chance. That's why I knew he wouldn't turn up to the trust meeting. It's the way he has always played things. He's in deep negotiations with the Council. He can't publicly declare what a financial mess we're in, whilst dealing with the Council, and hoping to get some investors on board. But he has dealt the wrong hand regarding Sol. He should have put him in the picture, but asked him to keep it quiet. Instead, he's created a rift and break up between them. Sol would have been more understanding if RM said sorry Sol, I know I promised you up to 6 players, but the goal posts have moved financially, and by the EFL. Blanking Sol is the wrong thing to do and totally disrespectful. The guy has to start with 4 not good enough yet kids, and then gets slated for the 4-0 drubbing. Ron Martin will make a statement, but when it suits, probably if the EFL situation is sorted, and when he has good news to go along with the bad.

How do we know Ron hasn't put Sol in the picture and it's Sol being elusive to the media?

The other side Riggers what if it doesn’t go through, the thought is too scary to imagine

If it doesn't go through it will be because of the council, not Ron......Try being on somewhere like Scunthorpe council and refusing them a stadium....Southend councillors know they can get away with it. They can even come up with a rival scheme on their own land sold for song and get away with it.

He sold one Bentley to Brentford for £1million... then bought another one! :Smile:

Any truth of the rumours that his very own Bentley has been seized over debts and he is driving around in a club sponsored car?

If it doesn't go through it will be because of the council, not Ron......Try being on somewhere like Scunthorpe council and refusing them a stadium....Southend councillors know they can get away with it. They can even come up with a rival scheme on their own land sold for song and get away with it.
Not completely true. The Council gave him permission some years ago, that's now lapsed. He keeps submitting then withdrawing plans, each one amended, altered, more flats, bigger hotel, different mix of non-football assets, design changes etc etc. This is all part of RM's spin to try and heap blame on the Council if Mr Greedy doesn't get what he wants. He's fallen out with at least 2 major partners over the years (Delancy, British Land) as well. I think he's a busted flush.

The deal was always that Sainsburys would own every bit of RH and the new ground would be built on our training ground. When FF goes through the club will have gained far more than it has lost under Ron......Absolute undeniable fact
Thanks Rigsby ....you've at last spilled the beans that it is going through...
and it is an undeniable fact we will have gained more! including grey hairs and high blood pressure

Not completely true. The Council gave him permission some years ago, that's now lapsed. He keeps submitting then withdrawing plans, each one amended, altered, more flats, bigger hotel, different mix of non-football assets, design changes etc etc. This is all part of RM's spin to try and heap blame on the Council if Mr Greedy doesn't get what he wants. He's fallen out with at least 2 major partners over the years (Delancy, British Land) as well. I think he's a busted flush.

None of that is true. There is enough material to moan about Ron so why make things up ?

The council guide you as to what they want.....They want the housing. They want a decent hotel because the town only has one 4 star and it will creates jobs as well as bringing in more tourists.

The retailers want the cinema because it brings in the punters.

If people actually spoke to councillors or went to the odd presentation they might actually learn something.....The again they wouldn't be able to moan that they are not consulted over ever decision.....Is it any wonder why.

Thanks Rigsby ....you've at last spilled the beans that it is going through...
and it is an undeniable fact we will have gained more! including grey hairs and high blood pressure

Why worry about it. I actually couldn't give a t*** that we will be relegated. I think we were about 19th in the same division when I first went in 1974 and where we are now is about right over the 100 year league table.

I'm not bothered one bit that we aren't keeping up with Brighton because we never will be. I will still go next season and I will still have fun and enjoy watching the academy lads in L2. I will enjoy ticking off a few grounds and hopefully a couple of weekenders

If it wasn't Ron it would be someone else. Once you stop believing in the tooth fairy life becomes less stressful.

The football in 2019 was dire to say the least. However I cannot see that we are in a worse position than when we relegated from League One last time. Paul Sturrock started with just 4 players and nothing like the academy players we have now.

2020 is already seeing an improvement.

I agree with Rigsby and am looking forward to seeing the young lads in League 2 next year. I don't expect us to be challenging for promotion but it will be good to see them develop.

People say to me we need a change we do need a change weather it’s players or managers we cleared out most of our players I’m looking forward to seeing this youth team in action next season I’m just hoping we add a few players I look at the players that played Saturday Clifford looks a great left back

Why worry about it. I actually couldn't give a t*** that we will be relegated. I think we were about 19th in the same division when I first went in 1974 and where we are now is about right over the 100 year league table.

I'm not bothered one bit that we aren't keeping up with Brighton because we never will be. I will still go next season and I will still have fun and enjoy watching the academy lads in L2. I will enjoy ticking off a few grounds and hopefully a couple of weekenders

If it wasn't Ron it would be someone else. Once you stop believing in the tooth fairy life becomes less stressful.
The hair and blood pressure was a joke Rigsby ...so don't stress!

I agree with Rigsby and am looking forward to seeing the young lads in League 2 next year. I don't expect us to be challenging for promotion but it will be good to see them develop.

If they can, playing against neanderthal dirty players, on their last pay day before retiring, as many sides in Div 2 seem to have?.
One positive is it will make them streetwise on the pitch sooner rather than later.

If they can, playing against neanderthal dirty players, on their last pay day before retiring, as many sides in Div 2 seem to have?.
One positive is it will make them streetwise on the pitch sooner rather than later.

Do they? I am sure there are just as many young players in League 2 embarking on their careers as there are in League 1.

I would have thought our academy players would have a better chance of being competitive at a lower level.

Its possible Sol's thinking was that the Posh game was always going to be very difficult to get anything from, therefore use it to give some more youngsters gametime / experience, and rest the players you mentioned for more winnable games coming up.
I believe that is exactly Sol’s thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back