• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Comment: This is as bad as it's been for Southend United in 30 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hair and blood pressure was a joke Rigsby ...so don't stress!

Yes, I don't really think you believe in the tooth fairy. Nor do I really want Nile Ranger back, that was also a joke.

Tomorrow a group of us will be meeting with some really great Coventry lads. We will have a laugh before and after the game because they have had far worse than us.....By a long way.

We could be two divisions apart by May, which means we wont see them for some time. I say good luck to them because our 'worse time ever' wont last long and happy time will come back.

In the real world, I have far more sad things to deal with than my team getting relegated. Football is just a past time to me and I have no desire to spoil it by buying into the we should be a PL team nonsense.

None of that is true. There is enough material to moan about Ron so why make things up ?

The council guide you as to what they want.....They want the housing. They want a decent hotel because the town only has one 4 star and it will creates jobs as well as bringing in more tourists.

The retailers want the cinema because it brings in the punters.

If people actually spoke to councillors or went to the odd presentation they might actually learn something.....The again they wouldn't be able to moan that they are not consulted over ever decision.....Is it any wonder why.

Here's the evidence..
http://stadiumdb.com/news/2017/05/england_southend_uniteds_13th_planning_application

I've spoken to several councillors about the scheme over the years,. many of who are (privately at least) very supportive, but fed up with the constant tinkering by the club and also have deep concerns about whether RM has the funding to actually carry things out.

In the real world, I have far more sad things to deal with than my team getting relegated. Football is just a past time to me and I have no desire to spoil it by buying into the we should be a PL team nonsense.

Let's hope it doesn't become a past time for all Southend supporters !

Here's the evidence..
http://stadiumdb.com/news/2017/05/england_southend_uniteds_13th_planning_application

I've spoken to several councillors about the scheme over the years,. many of who are (privately at least) very supportive, but fed up with the constant tinkering by the club and also have deep concerns about whether RM has the funding to actually carry things out.

That does say (including amendments.) Anyone who has been through the process will tell you they can be for the most minor of things and nothing to do with the overall scheme. In my case for them not filling in some paperwork and then thinking a public car park was private.

Most of those amendments or changes were for the Sainsburys part at RH, including all the extra pieces of land they needed to buy.

Somebody showed me an echo link from as recent as 2014. Sainsburys were still haggling over access for cars and parking. Whilst knowing full well they had no intention of going ahead with the scheme.

Since they pulled out Ron has obviously had to completely change both RH and FF. Just like any other chairman no matter how wealthy would be doing

No plan for 500 houses would be passed without several changes and yes Ron has mad amendments. Like donating land at to the church for parking after he attended the funeral of Ray Davey. Plus the housing has been reduced overall on RH.......So not for greed as you claim.

So the question is has the stadium scheme from 3 years ago been withdrawn by Ron?

I also hear 'gossip' about councillors. One I like is the Academy land extra parking is on Rochfords patch....Some councillors in Rochford don't like Ron or the football club and are determined to stop the plan......Like I say try being a councillor 3 miles from Wigan or Bolton and openly boasting you will make sure your local club fail.

Let's hope it doesn't become a past time for all Southend supporters !

Its an easy walk to Southend Manor for me. Breakfast in Billy Hundreds and more choices of bars along that stretch of the sea front. Plus I know the Chairman quite well so might end up in the directors box......In fact now you mention it?

That does say (including amendments.) Anyone who has been through the process will tell you they can be for the most minor of things and nothing to do with the overall scheme. In my case for them not filling in some paperwork and then thinking a public car park was private.

Most of those amendments or changes were for the Sainsburys part at RH, including all the extra pieces of land they needed to buy.

Somebody showed me an echo link from as recent as 2014. Sainsburys were still haggling over access for cars and parking. Whilst knowing full well they had no intention of going ahead with the scheme.

Since they pulled out Ron has obviously had to completely change both RH and FF. Just like any other chairman no matter how wealthy would be doing

No plan for 500 houses would be passed without several changes and yes Ron has mad amendments. Like donating land at to the church for parking after he attended the funeral of Ray Davey. Plus the housing has been reduced overall on RH.......So not for greed as you claim.

So the question is has the stadium scheme from 3 years ago been withdrawn by Ron?

I also hear 'gossip' about councillors. One I like is the Academy land extra parking is on Rochfords patch....Some councillors in Rochford don't like Ron or the football club and are determined to stop the plan......Like I say try being a councillor 3 miles from Wigan or Bolton and openly boasting you will make sure your local club fail.

We had planning for a smaller development. We could have easily built that. Ronald chose not to. Ronald has always been about trying to build Ron world. Nothing has changed other then Ron world growing in size.

Its getting bigger and bigger and the council are rightly concerned over the effects to the economy, congestion and Ron's ability to deliver.

Its simple really. Ron needs a business partner or 50% shareholder to really improved the odds. He won't because he is too egotistical and stubourn to hedge his best. He would rather go it alone and risk it all.

Here's the evidence..

Probably would be fair coming from any other source than politicians/councillors. I suspect there has not been a lack of constant tinkering, study requests, requests for answers to questions, s106 o(r whatever it is demands) demands etc. from from the planners either. It is a complex project and I suspect both sides are equally to blame.

We had planning for a smaller development. We could have easily built that. Ronald chose not to. Ronald has always been about trying to build Ron world. Nothing has changed other then Ron world growing in size.

Its getting bigger and bigger and the council are rightly concerned over the effects to the economy, congestion and Ron's ability to deliver.

Its simple really. Ron needs a business partner or 50% shareholder to really improved the odds. He won't because he is too egotistical and stubourn to hedge his best. He would rather go it alone and risk it all.

He is a developer and doing what developers do which is to try and maximise the value/benefit of the project. This then makes the funding easier not harder. If the council gives its approvals I don't think funding will be an issue (rather there will be a queue of would be suitors). And if the council want to understand where the funding is coming from I am sure that won't be a problem either (probably provided under NDA if I was Ron).

That article made me chuckle. Building work finished by 2018 hahahahahahahahahaha

Here we are 2 years later and nothing has changed.

My mum said she wouldn't live to see the new stadium and she passed away a year ago aged 87 (She supported the club from the late 1990's)

I am beginning to think the same thing.

Beginning to think? I personally am way past that point. I just want my beloved Club to survive. COYBB.

What about all us true paying supporters who don't have faux bed wetting sessions at every defeat or opportunity because of their long term hatred of all things Ron.

My comment was about the 80's and yes it was worse than it is now with crowds of less than 1500 and then the South bank sold off.

I know those people who don't pay but moan from the safety of another country wont agree. But anyone who is old enough to have experienced it knows it was far worse.
Sometimes you do come across as rather judgemental in your quest to (admirably) defend the club and Martin no matter what... but I don't pay and am writing this from the 'safety of another country', so I guess my views don't really count. And 'safety'? Safety from what exactly?

Rigsby and I have not always agreed in the past. Understatement. But I find his views on this thread to be rational and sensible. They are a welcome riposte to the growing army of doomsayers. We, as many other clubs, are in a difficult position but time and again RM has steered us through obstacles and I am sure he will again.

We need to be realistic about our lot and accept the current limitations of the club. There will, again, be better times ahead. Right now we are just sitting on a rollercoaster, namely lower league football, and as we career down the track it brings us ever closer to the next upward section.

FF is our best chance of sustainable progression and every fan should get behind the chairman and the project.

Rigsby and I have not always agreed in the past. Understatement. But I find his views on this thread to be rational and sensible. They are a welcome riposte to the growing army of doomsayers. We, as many other clubs, are in a difficult position but time and again RM has steered us through obstacles and I am sure he will again.

We need to be realistic about our lot and accept the current limitations of the club. There will, again, be better times ahead. Right now we are just sitting on a rollercoaster, namely lower league football, and as we career down the track it brings us ever closer to the next upward section.

FF is our best chance of sustainable progression and every fan should get behind the chairman and the project.

Realistic- now there's an aspiration indeed..

One thing that's bothering me compared with the past is the attitude of the league. They seem as ready to push a club into the abyss as help it out. I'm not sure Bury would have gone to the wall at one time. The EFL seem determined to reform football finances (not a bad thing in principal) and that the way to do that is to use a few clubs as a lesson on the way.

What about all us true paying supporters who don't have faux bed wetting sessions at every defeat or opportunity because of their long term hatred of all things Ron.

My comment was about the 80's and yes it was worse than it is now with crowds of less than 1500 and then the South bank sold off.

I know those people who don't pay but moan from the safety of another country wont agree. But anyone who is old enough to have experienced it knows it was far worse.

The crowds may have been lower but the basic situation was nowhere near as bad. Comments that imply that residents of other countries have no validity in commenting on the present situation are just plain silly and I would not normally dignify such rubbish with a response but we need to recognise that we have reached a new low in every respect - strength of playing staff, financial problems, decrepit stadium that will maybe be a safety factor on Saturday if the weather is as bad as forecast, investigation by the EFL, a chairman who after two decades of ducking and diving appears to be out of wriggle room and a manager who appears to have been led up the garden path and now resorts to fatalistic comments in the media. Seems like a perfect storm to me.

Fossetts Farm is not viable, as I have previously mentioned.Don't need a cinema, shopping mall, nope,hotel perhaps, housing,yes,new football ground ,yes.As I live in the east of town, the road network is absolutely awful.That will be the major stumbling block.Try getting to Priory Park nowadays!! Apart from "Dodgy" Ron playing around, the football club have very
small assets.All this bluff and bull**** from Ron will only end in tears.Get realistic,Ron holds the major assets.I think that being a supporter for sixty six years, this is worse than the 1980's.
Stop blaming the council, the grandiose scheme presented are fairy tales.I fear the worse.

Fossetts Farm is not viable, as I have previously mentioned.Don't need a cinema, shopping mall, nope,hotel perhaps, housing,yes,new football ground ,yes.As I live in the east of town, the road network is absolutely awful.That will be the major stumbling block.Try getting to Priory Park nowadays!! Apart from "Dodgy" Ron playing around, the football club have very
small assets.All this bluff and bull**** from Ron will only end in tears.Get realistic,Ron holds the major assets.I think that being a supporter for sixty six years, this is worse than the 1980's.
Stop blaming the council, the grandiose scheme presented are fairy tales.I fear the worse.

A perspective but a depressing one- but based on opinion maybe as much as any hard facts.
For example you say a hotel “perhaps” yet the hotel partner Hilton is already announced. So if a perhaps can be a reality so can the rest I guess. The road network didn’t stop SBC regarding their own pet project so I suspect with a few £££ won’t stop this either. And who is to say the cinema at Fossets would be less viable for many than a planned new one on the seafront?
Finally by all accounts RH as a way of addressing the councils much needed housing requirements they have to deliver on is not without traction- well there isn’t going to be one without the other.
I think the complexity certainly very much slows down the process but it’s not the same a saying as an overall package it’s not viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back