• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Comments from a Millwall fan, and Scannell

Magnum PI

Private Detective
I recieved this email this morning from a guy in my football team who supports Millwall.

Did you go last night?
Think you lot are going to have serious problems unless you get a half decent striker in. Paterson didn’t look up to much and a bit lightweight if anything.
That right winger you have has to be one of the worst players I’ve seen in years!

Seems everyone thinks he is not up to scratch.

I am pretty sure Sean Scannell was sitting a few rows in front of me last night. I wonder what he made of the abuse of his brother from our lot.

Sounds like Scannell had a tough time yesterday on the blues player

We do need a new striker though and quickly :'(

It appears Scannell's being made the scapegoat.

There's no doubting he had a very poor game and isn't playing well. However, at least he got involved in the game in order to be criticised for what he did or didn't do.

The fact he actually got involved in the game stands him above Franck Moussa. Can someone explain his purpose?

Wingers are confidence players. Nothing like trying to build confidence when you're being hounded at every step of the way...

It appears Scannell's being made the scapegoat.

There's no doubting he had a very poor game and isn't playing well. However, at least he got involved in the game in order to be criticised for what he did or didn't do.

The fact he actually got involved in the game stands him above Franck Moussa. Can someone explain his purpose?

I don't think he's being made the scapegoat at all.

Everyone came in for criticism last night; the fans, all 14 players, the manager, the chairman.

But you can't hide from the fact he's a bit rubbish.

For almost 2 years now we've heard 'he's not quite fit' or 'his stamina needs work' or 'he's good with the ball'.

Well, Barrett is (occasionally) good with the ball but it's not enough. He doesn't look up, he runs away from the danger areas, he pauses before doing anything, he looks to go backwards or sideways.

Yesterday he retrieved the ball for a throw in, JFC looked to take it quick but he didn't come back on the pitch for about 7 seconds. No lie.

Another time Francis and Mildy lambasted him as their left back ran the length of the wing unchallenged. Francis had to go across and cover him leaving us exposed down the middle. We got away with that one, but only just. He just held his hand up as if to say 'Yeah I know...'

One time late second half Barrett got the ball. Scannell was just ahead of him. Within 5 yards Barrett was in front of him and he was actually tracking back. Barrett screamed and pointed where he wanted him and he drifted sideways.

The one time he did run with the ball he managed to leave it behind. Sure, his confidence would have been shot after the abuse he was receiving from the home fans but a good player channels that and proves people wrong.

I don't think criticising players on here is really that helpful usually, and what moaning I did about him last night was only to Loz and not at the player. But he's simply not good enough for this level and I just can't go on giving him 6s and saying 'frustrating' any more. God knows why half of this board hated Betsy so much; at least he looked like a winger.

Eastwood came from the Conference and it worked. This however is just a failed experiment.

Listening on the radio Scannell seemed involved a lot but did nothing with it. Paul Clark was frustrated and basically said he wasn't doing enough.

Clark also crticised Grant for trying to do other peoples jobs as well as his own.

fbm said:
Listening on the radio Scannell seemed involved a lot but did nothing with it. Paul Clark was frustrated and basically said he wasn't doing enough.
I thought Scannell did OK last night. He made some good runs with the ball, but was getting double-marked as soon as he got within 25-30 yards of the goal, and then he had no support from either his full-back or one of the CM's, hence he then lost the ball

I thought Scannell did OK last night. He made some good runs with the ball, but was getting double-marked as soon as he got within 25-30 yards of the goal, and then he had no support from either his full-back or one of the CM's, hence he then lost the ball

Fully agree mate. i think Scannell is another like Simon Francis that gets hounded for the tiniest of mistakes by our fans. Ok so Damien didnt have the greatest of games but he still had a few runs with the ball and was often crowded out where Millwall put 2 or 3 players on him.

For me even though Paterson had very little support he has done nothing of note in the 2 games I've seen him. Spencer looked much more lively (although running at tired legs) and has to start alongside him against Swindon.

Watching the game last night I thought JFC was far and away the worst player on the pitch, giving the ball away not tracking back not covering defence not getting stuck in. saying that everyone was dire, scannell did have one moment where he was actually through on goal but was quickly caught up by the defender other than that like Sean says, head down not looking what he was doing giving away freekicks generally little control.

Sounds to me that the players have finally had enough.

From what I hear club morale has been on the downward spiral for quite some time.

I wonder if they have been / will be paid this month?

Sounds to me that the players have finally had enough.

From what I hear club morale has been on the downward spiral for quite some time.

I wonder if they have been / will be paid this month?

We have only had one home match this month so our cash-flow situation must be a bit tight. Let's hope they get paid and give 100% on the pitch.

It's interesting that there's a poster on another thread lambasting other fans for not getting to the Den last night and supporting the team. Sounds to me as if the the lads might have done better with no "support" from Essex on the terrace. Abuse shouted at Mildenhall, Scannell et all. They may not be good enough for this level but by christ, it's not their fault is it? Or even Tilly's for that matter.

Wasn't there last night, but back to Sat. Scanell big bloke, presumably lots of strength, tried his best but why was he pushed off the ball so much? Hunt cannot be that much of a bully on the ball?

Scannell looked all at sea in the 4-5-1 at Millwall but I thought became much more involved when we reverted to 4-4-2 - almost a threat. The pitch and conditions didn't really help his style of play, and he's undoubtedly short on confidence.

Saying all that, I thought he had promise when he first arrived but he's a player who appears to have deteriorated in his time with us for one reason or another.

millwall bloke was right, scannell is one of the worst players i've seen in years. He ranks alongside Gordan Connelly!! Scannell isn't a scapegoat and niether is francis. Francis doesn't live up to his potential and thats why he gets moaned at, Scannell however, has NO potential whatsoever. He's been given chance after chance and has produced **** all!!! We paid what £5,000 for him (what i've heard, i can't remember) but it sums him up.. he is not a professional footballer and belongs in non- league. Some people argue he does have potential, but having a good ten minutes when he has come on as sub doesn't cut it. he has no consistency, no skill, poor ball control, doesn't do his defensive duties and puts no bloody effort in...

We dont really have a choice at the moment due to lack of numbers but i think O'Keefe has shown more promise and potential in his brief substitute appearances.

Drives me insane that people are satisfied by his performances. We need 11 players to bust a gut playing for the southend cause... thats what we have lacked against Wycombe, Millwall and Col U (first 70 mins)... O'Keefe would fight, so would Johnny Herd, Scannell doesn't.. fact!

Back