• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I start a new job in Bishopsgate, London on Monday - my first job - and I've got to commute to London everyday from Southend Airport Station. I went to look at the prices for season tickets for the train and I was horrified at the £3,500 price tag! Is there any loophole/discount/other way of being able to commute to London everyday - or get the train fare cheaper at least?

Thanks,

I start a new job in Bishopsgate, London on Monday - my first job - and I've got to commute to London everyday from Southend Airport Station. I went to look at the prices for season tickets for the train and I was horrified at the £3,500 price tag! Is there any loophole/discount/other way of being able to commute to London everyday - or get the train fare cheaper at least?

Thanks,

Unfortunately I think the short answer is no!

Your employer may do a scheme where they pay for your season ticket and you reimburse them through your wages, I know my brother does that.

Yep, that's what you pay and no getting out of it. Try to think of it as a net from salary amount as well so you need to gross it up by 20% or 40% depending on your earnings to see what a chunk it is from your annual salary :smile:

As BA says, almost every employer in London has an interest free season ticket loan scheme. I know someone who works in London but blags about a season ticket to get an interest free loan every year!

Thanks,

Also forget about value for money, comfort, customer service, a regular service or anything else you would associate with spending 3.5K, It will be the least enjoyable amount of money you ever spend as you will not get a good return (pardon the pun) on your money. Maybe im being harsh on your rail operator but if Southeastern in kent are anything to go by then pay it and try not to explode with rage on a daily basis :winking:

First off good luck with the job.

I see travel to London as a chance to put yourself in one of the worlds biggest markets shop windows. It is a pain and its a load of money when you start but if you do well in your career it wont see as painful and being in London will give your career so much more chance than being local ever could.....

Have you considered the C2C line? Cheaper, air conditioned and an alltogether higher class of commuter.

Thanks,
train prices have always been a rip off, sometimes i think ron martin must have something to do with it ha ha, when the prices go up in january yet again he will be forking out over 4,000, i just would"nt even consider a job in london with the amount of travel and service they offer as its a joke and only ever gets worse.

train prices have always been a rip off, sometimes i think ron martin must have something to do with it ha ha, when the prices go up in january yet again he will be forking out over 4,000, i just would"nt even consider a job in london with the amount of travel and service they offer as its a joke and only ever gets worse.

Presumably your final comments are referring specifically to the Southend Vic line. http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/about_us__1/press_centre/latest_news/c2c_is_top_of_the_pops_again

I've just started a really awful commute. 10mins on a nice new tram. Takes me almost from doorstep to doorstep. Reliable, always get a seat and costs under £600 a year. Before I moved it was a 10min walk to work.

Not everything revolves around London. For certain careers then what DtS says is probably true, but other cities and areas in the UK have a lot to offer, and will definitely benefit your work/life balance and pocket! e.g. I earn the same as I would in London (except for London weighting).

Plus Greggs are miles cheaper up here:winking:

Compare the wages for a local job against one in the city, generally the train fare will be covered (and some) by the difference in wages on offer (except maybe retail or High street banking)

And , as DTS says, the opportunities for progression are far greater in town.

Train fares are not cheap, but its still cheaper than moving nearer town and its a lot more convenient than the cheaper alternative , the coach.

Congratulations on the job.You are in the game-now you have to show you are a player.What are you doing Btw?

I've just started a really awful commute. 10mins on a nice new tram. Takes me almost from doorstep to doorstep. Reliable, always get a seat and costs under £600 a year. Before I moved it was a 10min walk to work.

Not everything revolves around London. For certain careers then what DtS says is probably true, but other cities and areas in the UK have a lot to offer, and will definitely benefit your work/life balance and pocket! e.g. I earn the same as I would in London (except for London weighting).

Plus Greggs are miles cheaper up here:winking:

Isnt it Grim oop north though?

Back