• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

devonexile

First XI
As more and more information seeps out about the Blues parlous financial condition, the thought had crossed my mind that some consideration should be given to the role of the SUFC Board in matters reaching the state they have.

Until very recently, I was Chairman of a small transport company in this neck of the woods and Chairman of one of its wholly owned subsidiaries. As a director there are a number of clearly defined duties and responsibilities in which the failure of observance can lead to disqualification as a director and, in the more extreme cases, to directors being jointly or severally financially liable for the consequences, if they act collectively in breach of their responsibilities. Liability is unlimited and individual directors can be made bankrupt as a result of the decisions of other directors, even in a limited company such as SUFC.

Before 2006, the duties of company directors were established and defined by case law, which gave rise to plenty of wriggle room for the people concerned. However, the 2006 Companies Act set out Directors responsibilities in a clear single statement and closed off a number of the previous loopholes.

The 2006 Act has many provisions, amongst which are:

1. Directors must exercise a degree of care in their actions as directors. The test of an acceptable level of care is “what a reasonable person would do in looking after their own affairs”
2. That all directors have a duty to be fully informed about the companies affairs.
3. In exercising directors powers, directors are required to exhibit such a degree of skill as may reasonably be expected from a person with their knowledge and experience.
4. The principle responsibility of directors is to the companies shareholders, however minimal their shareholding and communication should always take place on significant matters.
5. The best interests of the company are not always the same as the best interests of the principal shareholders. Directors must consider the interests of other stakeholders such as creditors and employees and must consider the long term prospects of the company and its reputation.
6. If a director has interests in another company with which their company is planning to do business they should not vote on such a deal or their vote should be disregarded and if the planned deal is substantial it must be approved by the shareholders. This provision applies to business between subsidiary companies and their parent companies.
7. If there is no reasonable prospect of moving into profit, and there are doubts about whether the companies’ assets will cover its liabilities, or whether it can pay its debts, the company is probably trading wrongfully (or even fraudulently). In such circumstances directors can be held personally liable for the companies’ debts if it subsequently becomes insolvent.
8. Directors must ensure that the correct amounts of tax, VAT and National Insurance are paid on time.
9. Directors can be held legally liable for providing misleading information to shareholders.
10. Even in a limited liability company directors can be held personally liable for losses resulting from some acts or omissions particularly in respect of items 1,3, 6, 7 8 and 9 above.

This is only my synopsis of the key points of the 2006 Companies Act that may apply in relation to the situation that SUFC Ltd finds itself in. I am not alleging or even implying that anyone has acted in a wrongful or improper way.

I’m not a shareholder in SUFC Ltd, so have no personal knowledge of any information provided or not provided to shareholders of SUFC Ltd, nor do I have particular expertise in company law beyond the information issued by Companies House in relation to my own responsibilities as a Director of the transport company to which I referred earlier and briefing notes on Director responsibilities provided by the English and Welsh Institute of Chartered Accountants (the emboldened bits above are those of the ICAEW).

However, I trust SZ members will find the synopsis of interest, particularly in relation to the possibility of SUFC entering administration and the threat of a winding up order due to the Company becoming insolvent.

As I’m not a shareholder of SUFC Ltd, I have not seen a copy of the Companies Memorandum and Articles of Association. I would find these of great interest and would be grateful if any shareholders amongst you could post a copy on the board or e-mail them to me. It would also be helpful if the Shrimpers Trust had a copy of the Covenant applying to Roots Hall, though I may be able to help in that respect if a copy cannot be found.

In the meantime let us all hope that RM can find a way through the current cash flow crisis and that, even at this late hour, administration can be avoided.

For the Shrimpers Trust though it has got be a case of hope for the best but plan for the worst, so give all you can to their fund raising efforts and really get behind the Blues on Friday night, because by god they’ve never needed your support more!

I was thinking about shareholders earlier. Communication directly to shareholders has been non existent, I was thinking material events had to be communicated to shareholders and looks like you have confirmed it. What can be done about this though?

I was thinking about shareholders earlier. Communication directly to shareholders has been non existent, I was thinking material events had to be communicated to shareholders and looks like you have confirmed it. What can be done about this though?

As a shareholder Matt you are entitled to a copy of the Company Memorandum and Articles of Association. These detail the objectives of the company, the powers of the directors but also, more importantly in this case, should specify the arrangements for calling an Extra Ordinary General Meeting of the company.

It is very likely (although I have not seen them as I’m not a shareholder) that the Memorandum and Articles of Association (M&AA) detail the minimum number of shareholders required to request, in writing, an EGM. As long as the minimum number of shareholders requesting an EGM is reached then the Chairman/Directors would be legally required to hold such a meeting within the timescale set out in the M&AA (usually between 14 and 28 days in most cases).

In other words, if sufficient shareholders demand an EGM to discuss the situation the company finds itself in then, in all probability, an EGM would have to be held at which full disclosure of the current situation could be sought.

In addition, the M&AA should also specify shareholders rights to receive copies of Board minutes and, if there is provision for this, I’m sure they would make interesting reading.

Back