• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Companies to ask for help RE: My trip to Ethiopia...

pickledseal

cowboy
Hi guys,

As some of you will have read, I am in the privilaged position of being sent to Ethiopia this summer to work in a school working with street children, mainly boys, and helping young women develop their confidence in English so that they can find better jobs which make them less vulnerable to risky occupations. I will also be working on creative and sporting activities with the children when we are not studying.

In order to do this I have to firstly fundraise in order to pay for my flights/board but alongside this I am looking to put together a sizeable ammount of equipment and resources to take with me - even if this means sending over a packing crate! I will be putting up a justgiving site later this week if anyone wants to make a donation, however that is not my real reason for posting today.

I was thinking of writing to a few companies to see if they would like to make donations particually of useful items for the classroom (including creative resources) or sporting equipment - the boys are football crazy! This is where I am asking for your suggestions... I am looking for contacts or suggestions at company's preferably local who would be able to help out. Obviously I am going to try and get some local press coverage and would be able to mention their support. Also on my return I would be possibly able to do some kind of feedback, either in report or presentation form? Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved!

Thanks ever so much guys

Andy :D

There is a department within Notwork Rail that deals with this kind of thing. I'll try and get you a contact name/number.

Hi Andy, if the boys are football crazy, why don't you get the good people of ShrimperZone to donate old Southend shirts to the cause? I know I've got a couple of shirts hanging around I'd be happy to donate.

Be surreal seeing pictures of Ethiopian boys playing footy in SUFC kit and would spread the word about us even more! Could start an Addis Ababa SUFC Supporters Club :D

Hi Andy, if the boys are football crazy, why don't you get the good people of ShrimperZone to donate old Southend shirts to the cause? I know I've got a couple of shirts hanging around I'd be happy to donate.

Be surreal seeing pictures of Ethiopian boys playing footy in SUFC kit and would spread the word about us even more! Could start an Addis Ababa SUFC Supporters Club :D

I've got a couple of old Southend tops I'd be happy to donate as well

Good shout, Ron has some Silver shirts knocking about. Just dont tell the old bill!!!

That may be a great idea :D
I am not going until the 23rd/24th of July so there may be a preseason friendly or two before then. I could try and get club on board and perhaps put it in Echo. That would be awesome to have a photo of the entire school wearing Southend United shirts!

That may be a great idea :D
I am not going until the 23rd/24th of July so there may be a preseason friendly or two before then. I could try and get club on board and perhaps put it in Echo. That would be awesome to have a photo of the entire school wearing Southend United shirts!

Good, glad you like the idea.
See (to any doubters) my "Kit Professor" monniker is all-encompassing! ;)

Hi Andy, have you got in touch with SUFC? they might be up for donating some old shirts or kit

From past experience, footy kits are an outstanding idea. We can try and get Addis Abbaba United to play Mombasa Orient if you like ;)

'I am in the privilaged position of being sent to Ethiopia this summer to work in a school working with street children'

Privilaged to have to go to Ethiopia for me? no thanks!!!! (forgive me if I am wrong but is there war out there?)
Privilaged to go out there and work in a school teaching the children, now thats something we can all say is a worthy cause!!!

I tip my hat to you Pickled Seal good on you mate

'I am in the privilaged position of being sent to Ethiopia this summer to work in a school working with street children'

Privilaged to have to go to Ethiopia for me? no thanks!!!! (forgive me if I am wrong but is there war out there?)
Privilaged to go out there and work in a school teaching the children, now thats something we can all say is a worthy cause!!!

I tip my hat to you Pickled Seal good on you mate

Isn't there a war here?

Good luck to you Pickled Seal, a great cause, and I'm sure that you will plenty of kit donations from SZ members.

The Eritrean-Ethiopian War ended in 2000 after lasting 2 years. There was some problems in 2005 after an election when many people got killed in Addis and other major cities but since then it has been relatively stable. There are regions, those with Erithrean borders which are still a little dangerous, but where I am going is pretty safe.

It's not going to be a holiday by any stretch of the imagination, I prepared for a pretty tuff time in certain respects. I still feel I am privilaged though, as there are many people who do not get such oppatunities to help out and make a difference. I am pretty convinced it will be a life changing trip and that I'll come back a different person with a very different outlook on life.

I hope that justifies myself, with out sounding too much of a idiot, nor too melodramatic!! ;)

Thanks again for the support and for those who are investigating contacts, companies etc. It really is much appreciated!!

Back