• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tomorrow courtesy of some corporate thing I am off to the Emirates to see Arsenal v Man City. Top of the Premiershite stuff with two clubs who have everything to play for, and putting the overpaid egotistical attitudes of the players to one side, a game packed full of players with immense ability and in teams that are absolute quality who play football that can be a sheer joy to watch. Then add in to the mix the wonderful Emirates structure, rising out of the North London terraces like a shiny symbol of decadence, superb views wherever you sit and in total comfort, with the bonus of a corporate gig of a superb buffet pre and post match with as much drink as you like. And a free programme of course.

Then on Monday it's off to Roots, a delapidated stadium on the way out, peeling painted stands of wood and crumbling concrete with leg room a Cranky would struggle with, stanchions to duck and dive around, all surrounded by puddled car parks, the Pram Shop and a pub for 'away fans' where Dickens was the last customer. Then there's the football, Hoofball Present v Hoofball Past. And I pay for the programme, and unlike the day before, everything else too.

If I had to choose though of course it would be Roots, just love the place and despite the insanity of Luggy's tactics and the sheer moronic madness of Uncle Ron, it's the place I love. But this weekend I'll do both, and wonder at the contrast of it all.

So, what have you experienced that goes from the sublime to the ridiculous? Doesn't have to be football related, could be dating Miss World one night and Miss Piggy the next, or a MacDonalds v the Ritz thing. Tell all.:winking::winking:

UTB:smile:

Enjoy the Emirates corporate side SS, I've been there for a Conference and the facilities and food were fabulous! Not sure how I'd feel watching a game there as a neutral.

I saw Man.Cty at Fulham earlier this season and enjoyed watching them play( also on a Sunday).I also thoroughly enjoyed Fulham's fightback from 2-0 down to get a well justified draw.However that didn't compare(for me)to the joys of watching us beat Plymouth 2-0 at Roots Hall the day before.

About seven years ago, I saw Hertha Berlin v Kaiserslautern at the Olympic Stadium on a Sunday, paying €16. On the Tuesday, I shelled out £18 to watch Southend v Bristol Rovers.

Also, I was at the Olympic Stadium in Athens on a Friday evening, watching, among other events, the men's 110m hurdles final and seeing three Olympic records broken. Come Monday afternoon, it was Southend v Macclesfield at a chilly and three-quarters empty Roots Hall.

I had a conference in Mumbai. After the conference in a nice 5 star hotel, had free champagne in the hotel champagne suite, which overlooked the local slums. That was a contrast.

I went to the Emirates about 5 times in the first season (when southend were away) and it was a good experience. First game was in corporate which was very good, the others were in the upper tier.

Have to say, whilst Id love to see Southend in a new stadium with that level of facilities I always preferred going to see Southend at Roots Hall than Arsenal at the Emirates. Emirates is so big that its hard to feel part of it and easy to feel detached from whats going on down on the pitch.

I've been to the Emirates on a few occasions in Corporate Hostility, and notably when Arsenal lost to PVC Eindhoven. The facilities are great, a pre match meal, drinks at your table at half time and a buffet afterwards and khazi's that don't reek of centuries old waste products. Great stadium and good views, but....

Give me Roots Hall any day.

Well, all went to form.

Emirates was top notch, good company, great food, excellent comfy seat and view, not a bad match and we were at the end for the goal, great Poznan by the Arsey fans, easy trip there and back. Sat next to Jim Rosenthal (ok, so not all was good). All free.

Sarfend the next day took two hours instead of one to get there (had to divert via Cole Ewe town centre which woz the real downer), went in the North Bank first half, experienced the symbolic shirt ripping, the friendly banter with the Wombles, got a lovely restricted view, footie was generally sh*te, decided to sit in West second half to get closer to the end we were 'attacking', got a portion of celebratory chips to help set us up for the A12 back home. No celeb's to sit next to though learned Col Ewe and Ipshite both lost which was better. Cost me another £60.

Lovely. Bring on Barnet and Macca. UTB :smile:

After dropping out of university for a while I spent eighteen months working in a sponge factory making scourers, j cloths and everything in between.

I now write software for an investment bank.

Pay and conditions are obviously much better but I do resent having to pay for cleaning products.

It's a tough world out there.

My main memory is of people slogging their guts out performing the most tedious tasks just so their family could eat and they could maybe afford a week's holiday at a caravan park.

Writing software for investment banking aint what it was then ?

I had a conference in Mumbai. After the conference in a nice 5 star hotel, had free champagne in the hotel champagne suite, which overlooked the local slums. That was a contrast.

i took a trip years ago watched blues on a friday 44 players on the field that was a sort of weird contrast .........

Back