• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Winkle

Manager
With a recession pocking its head from around the corner, I decided that perhaps with the amount we are all shelling out on fuel and household bills that a bit of good housekeeping was in order. I tryed to explain to my daughter that maybe when she went upstairs that she could possibly learn to turn the lights off when she walks out of her room in order to save on electricity as our house tends to be the homing beacon for any international flight trying to find stanstead airport.
Taking the preverbial bull by the horns instead of getting the "Gillette" blue II razors that have rocketed in price I would air on the side of practibility and go for the Asda 29p for ten. However good that my intentions where is overshadowed by the fact that my face now looks like its been sucked clean by a cascade of leaches leaving me nearly to have a total blood transfusion. This excercise that was instigated by me as caused upheavel in the winkle household as there are simply somethings that you cannot compromise on, and with good intentions at heart I will eat humble pie and admit that maybe I got somethings wrong.........well quite a few things. Not that I do much shopping but £4.50 for Powerball dishwasher tablets, what are they made of gold or something? I decided to go for an own brand, which are basically Cr@p along with several other items to the wifes displeasure. I have been formally yellow carded for the "Gulpy Gulp" kitchen towels and asdas own deodrant as it " canes" like crazy according to my pubesant son.
This as come about as taking the initative, the other half decided to replace my McVities chocolate digestives with asdas own brand which Is just not cricket .
I therefore like McVities digestives, Lynx Deodrant, descant bog roll, Crumpets, sausages and a host of other items there are somethings you simply cannot compromise on. My question is what could you change in your household and get away with without causing uproar and suspicion?

Last edited:
I recently ate fish and chips at a friends house and was appalled that they had bottles of Asda tomato ketchup and brown sauce on the table.

There are certain things that cannot be downgraded

For me its tea bags (gotta be tetley) bread (as pointed out by GHG) Coke (the bubbly stuff as opposed to Columbian) and cat food

For me its tea bags (gotta be tetley) bread (as pointed out by GHG) Coke (the bubbly stuff as opposed to Columbian) and cat food

PG tips are vastly superior to Tetley....

Agree about coke though. Supermarket own brand stuff is complete cack.

I recently ate fish and chips at a friends house and was appalled that they had bottles of Asda tomato ketchup and brown sauce on the table.

I bought Sainsbury's own brown sauce as an experiment. Never again! However, I'd challenge anyone to tell the difference between HP and Tesco's own. They really do taste the same...

Last edited:

Good to see your still eat the best cat food eh! Presume the cat gets some dodgy home brand lasagne?

Cheap cola. urgh has got to be only coca-cola for me.

Toilet roll is another - got to be a good soft brand not like some of the cheaper versions that are like sandpaper

why not swap coke for squash full stop.

Asda and Tesco have both started doing own brand, double concentrated squash for about 60p for 1.5ltrs. It tastes ok, and its got a dam sight less sugar and aspartame and all that bad sh*t, and it costs litually nothing, compared to £1.50 for 2 ltrs of sugary, diabities enducing coke.

Good for ur health and ur wallet!

why not swap coke for squash full stop.

Asda and Tesco have both started doing own brand, double concentrated squash for about 60p for 1.5ltrs. It tastes ok, and its got a dam sight less sugar and aspartame and all that bad sh*t, and it costs litually nothing, compared to £1.50 for 2 ltrs of sugary, diabities enducing coke.

Good for ur health and ur wallet!

Coke tastes nicer though. ;)

Funnily enough, I have managed to convert my lot from Heinz baked beans to the Tesco ones (not the value ones!) without anyone noticing the difference. The things I can't change are coke (my husband can sniff a cheap one or a diluted - out of the tap - one at a thousand paces!) and loo rolls, although there is a little choice there.

Funnily enough, I have managed to convert my lot from Heinz baked beans to the Tesco ones (not the value ones!) without anyone noticing the difference. The things I can't change are coke (my husband can sniff a cheap one or a diluted - out of the tap - one at a thousand paces!) and loo rolls, although there is a little choice there.

I think that's one thing that you can get away with. Baked beans. My mum reckons there is far more juice in the chaper brands but hey when you're paying 7p a tin or whatever then you can't knock it.

The trick here is to have a decoy item that nobody in your house wants to compromise on. Take it away in the short term and cause the necessary wrath of the wife and kids. Whilst they are fretting about their loss, replace the little ones that you're not really bothered about yourself and they probably wont notice. After a little while back down on the original item thus making the wife think that she's won. Its essential that you let her gloat about her triumph, whilst all the time knowing you haven't lost in any way.

If your totally skint, then you would have to compromise.

I'd much rather buy Tesco stuff (not value) over mainstream products if I liked them. I have bought value stuff in the past, and tbh it's not as bad as what people make it out to be.

3 Tesco value things that I would never buy is their bread, meat and loo roll.

should you be posting that?

should you be posting that?

I think that was an unfortunate juxtaposition! He is a COCA COLA connoisseur therefore any cheap COLA or diluted COLA is instantly recognisable, as is Pepsi COLA! Better? ;)

Back