• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Concerns growing for Southend United, on and off the pitch

When was the last time, things were ok/good at the club, we was playing well and supporters were content ?

Assume, it was under Powell pre Hopper and co injuries !!! Dunno, so long ago

When was the last time, things were ok/good at the club, we was playing well and supporters were content ?

Assume, it was under Powell pre Hopper and co injuries !!! Dunno, so long ago
Probably when Powell came in after Brown had "lost" the dressing room, although that as we know was just a temporary blip.

Probably the season 16/17 season when we finished 1 point off the play-offs.

Solace from a friend of mine who supports Bristol City:

"It's looking desperate for Southend right now but I'm sure better times will return. In the early 1980s Bristol City suffered three successive relegations in plummeting from the old Division One to Division Four, and were bottom of Division 4 for a while before finishing in mid-table (and winning promotion the following season). Perhaps Southend will do likewise?"

I've spent the last 48 hours reading Zoners' views of our current predicament both on and off the pitch. So reading Chris Phillips' article has cheered me up even more (not). I know he is only expressing his views but reading this on top of the views of everyone else on here just about finishes me off for the afternoon. I know times is hard, I can see it for myself but I don't have the benefit of an ignore button as a mod. Grumpy moan over, time to move on to the next Southend crisis.

Posted in a ordinary capacity!

Solace from a friend of mine who supports Bristol City:

"It's looking desperate for Southend right now but I'm sure better times will return. In the early 1980s Bristol City suffered three successive relegations in plummeting from the old Division One to Division Four, and were bottom of Division 4 for a while before finishing in mid-table (and winning promotion the following season). Perhaps Southend will do likewise?"
We can only cross our fingers and hope

I've spent the last 48 hours reading Zoners' views of our current predicament both on and off the pitch. So reading Chris Phillips' article has cheered me up even more (not). I know he is only expressing his views but reading this on top of the views of everyone else on here just about finishes me off for the afternoon. I know times is hard, I can see it for myself but I don't have the benefit of an ignore button as a mod. Grumpy moan over, time to move on to the next Southend crisis.

The bad news is, I expect this situation to get a lot worse, before it gets better.

And now, I’m off to spread more joy ??

I think that Ron is probably doing the only thing that he can, at the moment. Chipping away at the HMRC debt (don't think we be wound up while it keeps getting reduced) and juggling players in the embargo restricted squad.
The big worry is have we got the money to pay players through the season. If we can avoid any EFL points deductions, we might get away with keeping our Football League status.

Did I hear right that Ron is thinking of issueing shares to raise much needed dosh? No advance from the parties involved in the buying of RH then.

Accurate article and probably will result in Chris Phillips being banned from Roots Hall
I thought it was a good article by Chris and summed up our dire situation very well. What continues to worry me is again no suggestion from our Chairman as to how he is going to resolve our financial situation. Why is he not asking for help or some form of support either from us the supporters or some wealthy people who live in Essex or have connections outside........ He may not want to admit he needs help but its obvious he does........

It is depressing and I’ve considered giving this place a swerve til things improve because I honestly can’t find much positive to post right now. I’ve tried! There’s only so many ways you can say “we’re skint”, “we’re unfit”, “we need players” and “we need the embargo lifted”. Until any of that’s rectified, GBJ is right, it’s gonna get worse before it gets better.

I've still got the shiny brochure. A thing of beauty, promising all sorts. Reading it, £6 a share sounded good at the time. Oh dear!

I think I’d buy some now just to try and keep the club going. I’ve already donated the money owed to me from last season’s season ticket. We effectively need 5000 people to donate/invest £100 each. 5k is the sort of gate we’d expect in League Two and probably equates to about 3 or 4 games. With no income from ticket sales it’s all we can do right now

Correct me if I am wrong.....if we fail to come up with the requisite 493,000 or so we will go into liquidation rather than administration.
If we somehow can raise the money it will not necessarily mean the lifting of the embargo.
If we do not find a way to sign some new players we will surely be relegated. In the present circumstances it is hard to see the Club remaining viable as a non league entity so that would likely mean the end.
Realistically, our only hope is to make some signings soon. To do that we will need to clear the HMRC debt, and, perhaps come up with some more money to reassure the EFL in the hope the embargo would be lifted.
Or am I missing something?
The total sum required will likely be nearer a million than half a million and the sooner the better!
If I am wrong about this please educate me. At present our chances of survival look to be slim indeed. It seems a question of 'when' rather than 'if'.

I'm not so worried about the National League, I'm worried about the very existence of the club.
Not something I want to contemplate, but will accept relegation if it means the club survives.
What makes me angry is teams like Bury and Macclesfield had a bonanza day if they got 3,500 through the gate.
We average 6,000 - and are in much the same cack as they were.

Back