• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey

Hi all,

I live in a 3rd floor flat, and in the last couple of days a large wet patch has appeared outside our front door (in the communal hall). Our front door has our neighbours front door next to it in an "r" shape, with our door the top of the "r". The wet patch seems to have spread right out from the solid wall on the corner between the two doors, and the carpet is sodden. There is nothing obviously leaking from our flat. The whole place is laminate flooring, could a leak travel under that?! The wall looks solid and there isn't anything obviously dripping from the suspended ceiling (we're the top floor). In my mind, it must be the neighbours fault, although it isn't obvious that water is seeping under their door either. I've tried knocking but they aren't in, and I haven't seen their car for a while.

On the otherside of our front door is the hall. our bathroom, en-suite and kitchen are all quite a way from it. I'll check under the dishwasher and washing machine when I get in. All our bathroom stuff is built in.

The manager of the flats left me a note asking me to get a plumber around to check for leaks, however I'm a tenent and would have to go through my letting agency and that's a bit of a faff and I'm not keen to get a pumber out until they're sure it's not next doors.

Any thoughts on where this leak could possibly be coming from? The floors of the flat seem very solid (it's a fairly new development) and there aren't any obvious pipes anywhere. It's really confusing and worried about having to pay (even if we get it back eventually) for a plumber to come out...

Thanks!

Any signs of kebab in the surrounding area?
The odd piece of diced carrot on the wall?

haha, nope!

Paul - 2 days. Was bigger when check this morning. I'll try and take a photo at lunchtime because going to pop back and try and catch up with the conscierge.

Can someone get in your neighbours to check that they didn't leave a tap running?

I'm not sure, like I said there's no sign of life from there (I saw the guy a few weeks ago but not since)... not necessarily weird, a lot of the flats are used by business men who commute too and from sheffield for work so the place is always quite quiet. Cheers

4e6db188-e68a-f196.jpg

I'd say the leak is coming from the door straight on rather than the one on the LHS.

That's my door and that's what I'm worried about it. Checked everywhere and no signs of leaks. Spoke to the conscierge who is getting the lettings agent for next door around. So will wait for the time being. On the other side of my door it's just a hall. Could water pass under the laminated floor?

Get the concierge to break in to your neighbours and check for dead bodies in the bath.

That's my door and that's what I'm worried about it. Checked everywhere and no signs of leaks. Spoke to the conscierge who is getting the lettings agent for next door around. So will wait for the time being. On the other side of my door it's just a hall. Could water pass under the laminated floor?

Certainly can. I'd get an expert in mate especially as the bill will go to your landlord.

Whats behind the white wall in the corner? Are there any boiler cupbaords or tanks in your hallway/entrance bits near the door? Do you know where the water pipes to from your and your neighbours flats enter your property?

Whats behind the white wall in the corner? Are there any boiler cupbaords or tanks in your hallway/entrance bits near the door? Do you know where the water pipes to from your and your neighbours flats enter your property?

It's a solid supporting wall from what i can tell. There is nothing behind the door except an electric heater in the hall. that wall goes all the way along our flat, and there is a bath and then the kitchen in that straight line. I've checked the kitchen to see if any leaks were starting from there, and there isn't (because under the cabinets they haven't bothered putting the laminate down so you can see the bare floor).

There is our water tank in the hall but that is on the other side (RHS of the front door) and again, no sign of water at the bottom... and the leak doesn't seem to have come from that side. I think the water pipes for us come up between the bathroom and kitchen... but because it's pretty new it's all pretty well hidden away, with solid concrete walls so hard to tell.

In the bathroom the sink, toilet and bath are all sealed in so you can't properly check without taking up tiles. There is the chance that there is a leak which is then passing under the wall and under the laminate in the hall and out under our front door... however we (and the concierge) want to rule out anything obvious happening in the vacant next door flat). Apparently they have a condensing tumble dryer so that may have not been emptied, however if it's vacant it's strange that it's only just appeared and is growing.

I'll give them a couple of days if not i'll call out a plumber. The concierge told us to wait so at least we can play dumb for the time being.

Cricko had a confusing leak once, after his doctor pointed out he had his new C&A knickers on back to front the problem was soon solved

Back