• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thorpe Groyney

Open your mind
Read a fairly illuminating interview with the founder of the "Conservative Home" website, Tim Montgomerie. ConHome is generally recognised as reflecting what the grassroots Tory membership are feeling. With him having supported Cameron from his leadership bid in 2005 up to the present day, it was surprising to read this.

"Cameron has been one of the most disappointing Conservative leaders. Rather than creating a right-wing party with a heart, he created a centrist party with cuts. The 'big society' has been a complete failure as a message from the Conservative party to the British people. We needed a much earthier account of the conservative view of social progress.

Cameron is the guy who undertook the wrong kind of modernisation, then didn't win an election he should have won, then took us into a coalition, which is the biggest mistake out of all three."

Does that reflect Tory grassroots?

Read a fairly illuminating interview with the founder of the "Conservative Home" website, Tim Montgomerie. ConHome is generally recognised as reflecting what the grassroots Tory membership are feeling. With him having supported Cameron from his leadership bid in 2005 up to the present day, it was surprising to read this.

"Cameron has been one of the most disappointing Conservative leaders. Rather than creating a right-wing party with a heart, he created a centrist party with cuts. The 'big society' has been a complete failure as a message from the Conservative party to the British people. We needed a much earthier account of the conservative view of social progress.

Cameron is the guy who undertook the wrong kind of modernisation, then didn't win an election he should have won, then took us into a coalition, which is the biggest mistake out of all three."

It seems to me, to be more of a reflection of Tim Montgomerie's views, rather than anything else.He comes across(on the box at least)as a radical Tory intellectual,rather than your typical Home Counties Tory.Conhome though, as you suggest, is apparently,a highly influential Tory website.
Over to the Tories on SZ for their viewpoint I think.

I expect it probably does reflect the Tory grassroots, much like the Lib Dems will be saying Clegg has been one of the most disappointing Lib Dem leaders. Rather than creating a social democratic party, he has created a right-wing party with cuts. Clegg is the guy who undertook the wrong kind of modernisation, then took us into a coalition with the Tories which is the biggest mistake of all.'

Labour grassroots will also be saying a similar thing about Miliband, except obviously saying anything about taking them into government.

It seems to me, to be more of a reflection of Tim Montgomerie's views, rather than anything else.He comes across(on the box at least)as a radical Tory intellectual,rather than your typical Home Counties Tory.Conhome though, as you suggest, is apparently,a highly influential Tory website.

I'd be interested in hearing what ideas Montgomerie has which are (a) radical and (b) intellectual rather than just crackpot?

The fact that he can't distinguish between a party and a government certainly seems to undermine (b), as does being anyway associated with that absolute **** Jonathan Isaby.

Personally I think he's been pretty much spot on, then again I thought Tony Blair was decent as well. I must just go against public opinion, or be happy with centrists.

I think he's done a reasonable job. Although I think Boris is a shoe-in for the next leader.

I hope so. I could do with a bloody good laugh.

Back