• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What is wrong with that? Means we have a backup for each position and players like Timlin (LM), Atkinson (wing) and Leonard (full-back) can play in different positions. Each player brings something different to the table and play different roles.

We're L2, we don't, in my opinion, have the resources to have that kind of luxury. We need strikers, we don't need such a saturation of midfielders.

We're L2, we don't, in my opinion, have the resources to have that kind of luxury. We need strikers, we don't need such a saturation of midfielders.

In fairness we need scorers. I dont care where they come from on the park. I think we could do with a striker as traditionally thats where you look to for goals but we need a change of mids. Ours are good at certain roles but scoring ain't one of them and PB's set up increases the need for mids to chip in more.

I can see Atkinson, Clifford, and probably Timlin being among the front runners to move on and allow us to bring in some more with a finish in the locker. Timlin could be reprieved by his assists.

At the end of the day, many rate our midfield, as I do, and if we had two goal merchants upfront it would be ideal. With PB's ideas we lack the goal support and it will probably be easier to alter the nucleus of the team than to change PB.

Payne is the one to be dropped for me, Worrall and Hurst wide, Timlin, Clifford and Lenny occupying the central spine.

This midfield doesn't work for me, there's nobody there who could be relied to hold. Timlin at a push, but he's more effective when given rein to dart around a little more.

Agree with you,

Midfield is well overstaffed and no need for league 2.

I would much like to see Conor Clifford back in the side. He was playing well just another player left out in the cold again.:thumbsup:

Phil Brown don't know a good player when he has got one.I don't no about the ones hes gonna bring in.

To be fair some fans were saying same when Lee Sawyer went, and he has never been seen since.

And Brown STILL wants to extend Deegan's contract. We're so oversubscribed in the centre of the midfield it's stunning. The emergence of Payne has made things even worse in that respect

Timlin, Clifford, Atkinson, Leonard, Deegan & Payne means that even with a midfield 3, we're still leaving 3 players out!

Deegan is pretty much our only defensive midfielder (although Leonard sometimes plays the role) wanting to extend his contract makes perfect sense.

I agree OBL, but surely we should be nurturing talent like Connor instead of persisting with Deegan and Atkinson who are somewhat limited on the ball? I remember there was a debate with respect of Peterborough, and how we should model ourselves on their philosophy. I may be biased as I saw something really exciting in the lad. Got the hump about this though - can only presume Phil didn't like him personally or that his wages were extremely high (doubtful)?

It very difficult for a player like Conor Clifford to prove himself at Southend. He got dropped after playing well and then watched the likes of Ryan Leonard under-perform and stay in the team.

I am sure you remember Steve Tilson's disastrous misjudgement of Hooper. The Clifford situation could be a re-run of that.

It very difficult for a player like Conor Clifford to prove himself at Southend. He got dropped after playing well and then watched the likes of Ryan Leonard under-perform and stay in the team.

I am sure you remember Steve Tilson's disastrous misjudgement of Hooper. The Clifford situation could be a re-run of that.

I'm not quite sure he'll develop like Hooper, but I completely agree with your point.

RE. Conor Clifford

Conor Clifford is a better prospect than Deegan all day long, some of Deegans passing is so poor, good tackler. We should play our younger players not getting on loan players that other teams don't want.

Conor Don't worry you will have a great prospect in pro football.

Conor Clifford is a better prospect than Deegan all day long, some of Deegans passing is so poor, good tackler. We should play our younger players not getting on loan players that other teams don't want.

Conor Don't worry you will have a great prospect in pro football.

Deegan is a defensive midfielder, which is a different role to what Clifford plays, comparing them is pointless. If you want to compare Clifford you need to look at the players who have similar roles to him in the team: Leonard, Timlin and Atkinson.

Deegan is a defensive midfielder, which is a different role to what Clifford plays, comparing them is pointless. If you want to compare Clifford you need to look at the players who have similar roles to him in the team: Leonard, Timlin and Atkinson.

Look at Deegans passing count how maney time he gives the ball to the other team ive done in some of his games it is a very lot of times. When Conors played he defends well always tackling back and winning the ball.

Look at Deegans passing count how maney time he gives the ball to the other team ive done in some of his games it is a very lot of times. When Conors played he defends well always tackling back and winning the ball.

No he doesn't, which is why he doesn't play in a PB team.

Spot on with your 1st point, I'm a Leonard fan but I think Clifford has bigger potential and Leonard is keeping his place on last seasons performances.

On the Hooper point, at the time we heard lots about his potential but I never saw anything much from him that made me think he was anything special, at the time I was happy for us to sell him. He obviously flourished after that but at least we got something out of it with the sell on clauses we put on the deal. Clifford is being offloaded, not sold, and we will get nothing more than his wages off the budget.

I would much like to see Conor Clifford back in the side. He was playing well just another player left out in the cold again.:thumbsup:

Lets hope you get a surprise call up to start at Oxford on Saturday you never know. I think this might happen Mr Brown may have woke up with the fans backing you up. Or he will put you in for the shop window. then you can prove him wrong.

Apart from maybe 2 or 3 games Clifford just does not do enough...Some games completely non exsistent.....I've seen all home performancestors and plenty of away too....doesn't win the ball rarely dribbles into dangerous areas, it all just passes him by....If he was so good it would be impossible to drop him....then add on that he may be poor in training etc....I wish him well and hope the door doesn't smash his butt on the way out

Back