• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rayleigh dan

Coach⭐⭐
Can anyone ever remember us suffering 2 such heavy home defeats back to back? In my 25 years supporting I'm struggling to think of one occasion even in the dark old days of Whelan/Martin/Little. I'm guessing under Dick Bate perhaps?

Can anyone ever remember us suffering 2 such heavy home defeats back to back? In my 25 years supporting I'm struggling to think of one occasion even in the dark old days of Whelan/Martin/Little. I'm guessing under Dick Bate perhaps?
If we had, we'd all prefer not to! Erased from memory banks...

Very near, but since my first season, 1967/68, the answer is NO. There are 2 occasions which run it close, both surprisingly in the same season; in 2006/07 we lost 4 consecutive home games 0-3 2-3 1-3 and 2-3 between September and October, and then 0-3 1-3 1-3 and 1-2 in April 2007 and August 2007 (that last game in the sequence being our first home game back in league one after relegation).
But as you can see, no two consecutive games of the combined magnitude of this weeks' debacles.
I thank you.

I was thinking the same and can't remember anything like this. Aside from Stuart W's examples, the closest I can recall was when Sturrock was still in charge (but only just) and we had 3 home games in a week against 3 of the 4 bottom teams in L2; Torquay, Plymouth and Wimbledon. We had already beaten Torquay 4-1 and Wimbledon 4-0 away and 9 points from these would have put us into the play off picture. We only got 1 - v Torquay - and Sturrock played 3 different sides in 3 different styles. That was the end for him as he was sacked before the next game, away v Bradford, the curtain raiser for the JPT final.

Well Ladies and gentlemen, I can now tell you that those of you who witnessed today's fiasco, saw a little bit of history being made. Going back to when Southend United entered the league in 1920, we have NEVER had 2 consecutive home league matches with a worse aggregate than the 0-7 of the last two.
The nearest was in Sept and Oct 1934 against Crystal Palace (1-4) and Torquay United (2-3).
Time for PB and his assorted random selections to hang their collective head in shame.

2 worse consecutive home games I can't remember, I thought today we would show some fight and want to regain some pride at least after the Millwall game but there was nothing there. Its been an absolute ****ing shambles, what a difference a week can make in football eh!

Well Ladies and gentlemen, I can now tell you that those of you who witnessed today's fiasco, saw a little bit of history being made. Going back to when Southend United entered the league in 1920, we have NEVER had 2 consecutive home league matches with a worse aggregate than the 0-7 of the last two.
The nearest was in Sept and Oct 1934 against Crystal Palace (1-4) and Torquay United (2-3).
Time for PB and his assorted random selections to hang their collective head in shame.

They're not in the same year! (Just trying to make myself feel better)

.. and then 0-3 1-3 1-3 and 1-2 in April 2007 and August 2007 (that last game in the sequence being our first home game back in league one after relegation).

I'm recalling, I think, that two of those games were against Barnsley and Luton, which I sadly witnessed.

I'm pretty sure Barnsley scored direct from a corner.

Poor old AB played in those games as well, I think.

... actually, just looking at that run-in, which cost us relegation, we had some pretty poor results, apart from beating QPR 5-0.

One of them was a 4-0 away defeat at Hull, managed by, no less than old PB himself!

Still waiting for a proper reaction from the manager. He would be quick enough after good performances which is fair enough, but so far he seems reluctant to talk to anyone.
This is not a rant, Brown must have some idea of why the team has lost so badly in the last 2 games at home, which he talked of being our fortress. One change again yesterday, Worrall dropped for a holding midfield, so come on Phil, please explain that logic. Our fans were saying for months that one up front is no good despite our promotion and progress and eventually we went 2 up and the football looked good.
Fans were saying that the team needs freshening with Barrett and Coker struggling, not blaming them but stating the blindingly obvious. Brown has strengthened the squad but does not use them properly, O'Neill, McLaughlin, Prosser being largely bench warmers.
I will be criticised for opinion but surely it would help us all if Brown came out with some explanations. Rumours amongst fans that players haven't been paid, over celebrated after win at struggling Colchester, fear of changes during transfer window.
I just think that no team can win every match, and we miss Timlin and Weston, but losing heavily at home twice, whilst 7th in the league surely calls for a reasoned explanation from Brown, Coughlan and et al.

Still waiting for a proper reaction from the manager. He would be quick enough after good performances which is fair enough, but so far he seems reluctant to talk to anyone.
This is not a rant, Brown must have some idea of why the team has lost so badly in the last 2 games at home, which he talked of being our fortress. One change again yesterday, Worrall dropped for a holding midfield, so come on Phil, please explain that logic. Our fans were saying for months that one up front is no good despite our promotion and progress and eventually we went 2 up and the football looked good.
Fans were saying that the team needs freshening with Barrett and Coker struggling, not blaming them but stating the blindingly obvious. Brown has strengthened the squad but does not use them properly, O'Neill, McLaughlin, Prosser being largely bench warmers.
I will be criticised for opinion but surely it would help us all if Brown came out with some explanations. Rumours amongst fans that players haven't been paid, over celebrated after win at struggling Colchester, fear of changes during transfer window.
I just think that no team can win every match, and we miss Timlin and Weston, but losing heavily at home twice, whilst 7th in the league surely calls for a reasoned explanation from Brown, Coughlan and et al.

I agree that a comment/explanation from Brown is needed, though let's face it IF the players haven't been paid (don't believe that personally) I doubt he'd come out and say it and risk the wrath of Ron.

In 1964 we had consecutive 6-3 home wins v. Brizzle Rovers and Col Ewe.

In 1969/70 we conceded 7 in 2 home games, a 3-2 win over Newport followed by a 5-2 defeat to Notts County who quickly realised our gaolie couldn't catch. 2-1 up at half time, a collapse of titanic proportions!

In 1964 we had consecutive 6-3 home wins v. Brizzle Rovers and Col Ewe.

In 1969/70 we conceded 7 in 2 home games, a 3-2 win over Newport followed by a 5-2 defeat to Notts County who quickly realised our gaolie couldn't catch. 2-1 up at half time, a collapse of titanic proportions!
I purposely didn't include 1969/70 as the original question asked about consecutive home defeats. I do recall being somewhat shell-shocked after the Notts County game though!

Back