• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Conservative party conference 2017

Trouble is, it was given to her by that insufferable knob Simon Bodkin. Hilarious Simon, just like the rest of your comedy. :nope:

Indeed I almost felt sorry for her (regarding her coughing fit and obvious nerves).
I think the prank backfired a bit in terms of people feeling empathy for her predicament and resulted in a standing ovation in the hall (a standing ovation for being pranked rather than saying anything of worth).

Has been pointed out that she was wearing a bracelet with images of Frida Kahlo who was a member of the Communist Party and dated Trotsky. Is May's image consultant a secret red? That is yet another moment of 'is this **** really being allowed to happen?'

DLTn6OWXcAExbnI.jpg:large

It can't come soon enough!

Incidentally, can you imagine this kind of prank at the Labour Party Conference? The guy would have been lynched by the types that the BBC had to spend licence payers' money protecting Laura Kuenssberg from.

The prick doesn't know how close he came to being shot, given the present climate.

It can't come soon enough!

Incidentally, can you imagine this kind of prank at the Labour Party Conference? The guy would have been lynched by the types that the BBC had to spend licence payers' money protecting Laura Kuenssberg from.
that prank wouldn't have made sense at the Labour conference though so it wouldn't happen.

The Laura bodyguard story was printed in the Sun with the info coming from an unnamed source, it was then run in other papers stating that the story had come from the Sun, then over time people stopped mentioning where the story had originated and so by that point it became 'fact' just because many people didn't know how the story had started. BBC never said there was a bodyguard, Laura never said there was a bodyguard, there is footage of Laura walking around the conference without a bodyguard, the Sun still haven't named their source.

Fans of West Wing may have noticed that the most poetic part of May's speech was lifted from a WW script.
Fans of Florence and the Machine may be interested to know that no permission was given to use their music at the Tory conference.

that prank wouldn't have made sense at the Labour conference though so it wouldn't happen.

The Laura bodyguard story was printed in the Sun with the info coming from an unnamed source, it was then run in other papers stating that the story had come from the Sun, then over time people stopped mentioning where the story had originated and so by that point it became 'fact' just because many people didn't know how the story had started. BBC never said there was a bodyguard, Laura never said there was a bodyguard, there is footage of Laura walking around the conference without a bodyguard, the Sun still haven't named their source.

That kind of prank.

Anyway, John McDonnell's on the case so Kuenssberg probably decided she could go without the muscle once she knew one of the IRA's mates had her back.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...makes-light-laura-kuenssbergs-bodyguard-vows/

That kind of prank.

Anyway, John McDonnell's on the case so Kuenssberg probably decided she could go without the muscle once she knew one of the IRA's mates had her back.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...makes-light-laura-kuenssbergs-bodyguard-vows/
With the advent of social media all celebrities and politicians get abuse. I've been called all sorts of names that would just show as **** if I wrote them here and been threatened and told to 'get cancer' and I'm just some bloke that no one knows.

Of course Laura gets abuse, social media owners should be made to block it. There was a UKIP MEP on twitter yesterday bragging that he was about to repeat the phrase that had seen him suspended from twitter previously. They haven't suspended him again, they have just deleted his tweet. Of course Laura gets abuse, everyone does.

But John McDonell had taken it seriously "I said to Laura that if there's anyone in the Labour party trying that on, let us know and they will be out the Labour party as fast as they can think." That is the response you would hope for from him surely?

But coming back to showing how a report in the Sun seeps into the real world - this is exactly what I was saying - earlier I read reports in the Telegraph that were stating that the 'report' had come from The Sun - but by this article you have linked it now becomes part of the headline, so you will automatically assume it to be true, and in the body of the piece it's become 'amid reports she has been allocated bodyguards' - the Sun reference had been dropped and though 'amid reports' prevents them from having to take responsibility for what they are writing it's done in a way that you will take on face value.

But still - Laura's bodyguard is a story in the Sun with no named source. Nothing more than that.

Yes, despite how poor the PM might be, at least she isn't a racist terrorist supporting Britain hater.
Oh, and she won the election in case you have forgotten.

Racist - I'm not sure she is. But she promoted Boris Johnson to Foreign Secretary and his is racist. He is the most high profile racist in the party but is not the only one.

Terrorist supporter - I'd say yes she is, she supplies arms to Saudi Arabia and they bomb homes and hospitals in Yemen and are implicated in funding IS.

Britain hater - maybe not the whole country but certainly some sections of British society - the botched roll out of universal credit, bedroom tax and cuts to disabled benefits have led to massive increases in food bank use, suicides being attributed to DWP decision making and interventions from the UN.

'She' won the election - I think David Cameron would pick you up on that - she took over from him (the leadership election was hit but drop outs, never actually required her to be voted in) with a majority government that was in the middle of a fixed term of office - she decided to prove her popularity by calling a very early election and subsequently turned a majority government into a minority government propped up by the DUP who demanded and were given £1bn of tax payers money to keep May in power. 'Won' doesn't really fit the circumstances.

Anyway - as this thread is about the Conservative conference - anyone got anything positive to say about it?
So your answer is 'no' it seems.

Racist - I'm not sure she is. But she promoted Boris Johnson to Foreign Secretary and his is racist. He is the most high profile racist in the party but is not the only one.

Terrorist supporter - I'd say yes she is, she supplies arms to Saudi Arabia and they bomb homes and hospitals in Yemen and are implicated in funding IS.

Britain hater - maybe not the whole country but certainly some sections of British society - the botched roll out of universal credit, bedroom tax and cuts to disabled benefits have led to massive increases in food bank use, suicides being attributed to DWP decision making and interventions from the UN.

'She' won the election - I think David Cameron would pick you up on that - she took over from him (the leadership election was hit but drop outs, never actually required her to be voted in) with a majority government that was in the middle of a fixed term of office - she decided to prove her popularity by calling a very early election and subsequently turned a majority government into a minority government propped up by the DUP who demanded and were given £1bn of tax payers money to keep May in power. 'Won' doesn't really fit the circumstances.

Anyway - as this thread is about the Conservative conference - anyone got anything positive to say about it?
So your answer is 'no' it seems.

Just taking the highlighted point.

If, God forbid, JC were Prime Minister I can 100% guarantee nothing would change and the sale of British made arms and arms components to Saudi Arabia would go on unabated. Absolutely nothing would change. No British Prime Minister in history has ever gone up against the wholesale arms business and none ever will, JC included.

If, God forbid, JC were Prime Minister I can 100% guarantee nothing would change and the sale of British made arms and arms components to Saudi Arabia would go on unabated. Absolutely nothing would change. No British Prime Minister in history has ever gone up against the wholesale arms business and none ever will, JC included.

Very true. not to mention the rest of the middle east as well as a large part of Africa.

It's big business, and in it's current climate, I can only imagine that the market will grow further still.

fair enough that you have your guesses on what a Labour government would or wouldn't do but at this point in time we have manifestos that are just a few months old and party conferences that are days old so we have plenty of policy to judge without judging on which policy you assume will get dropped.

Ask a question about the Tories and you get an answer about Labour. The Tories were doing it themselves at conference. Taking on board Corbyn and Milliband policies one minute and slating Labour using conjecture rather than policy the next.

On the thread about the Tory conference is a bit telling that they don't have enough about them for the conversation to stay about them, let alone have some positivity.

Back