• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Conservative party conference

Its all about Labour - lovers and loathers, its Labour who people want to talk about. Conservatives are uninspiring and no one can be arsed to talk about them.
No way austerity will be over, they are just dropping some of the outlandish 'strong on the economy' claims they made to get elected. That is the get out clause - get elected with one lot, ditch them and ignore all of their promises.

Its all about Labour - lovers and loathers, its Labour who people want to talk about. Conservatives are uninspiring and no one can be arsed to talk about them.
No way austerity will be over, they are just dropping some of the outlandish 'strong on the economy' claims they made to get elected. That is the get out clause - get elected with one lot, ditch them and ignore all of their promises.

When Labour had power,

Council tax went up and up and up and up and up
Iraq invasion
National debt went into orbit
Gordon Brown called the old lady a bigot
They left their famous not...the money has all gone

The current mob have learnt nothing
Corbyn wants to borrow 500 billion
Corbyn isn't worried on numbers coming here
Corbyn doesn't want nukes

They are barking.

Well done Mrs B, this thread is about the Tory's but you managed to make it about Labour & Jeremy Corbyn. You really should write for The Mail.

What is this "austerity" nonsense? Austerity hasn't started yet. The UK overspends by £400m per day.

Well done Mrs B, this thread is about the Tory's but you managed to make it about Labour & Jeremy Corbyn. You really should write for The Mail.

*** brought Labour into this thread,I just answered him !

My thought on the conference,and I'm not Tory

Boris stole the show,May was competent and Hammond cracked one funny about Corbyn.

When Labour had power,

Council tax went up and up and up and up and up
Iraq invasion
National debt went into orbit
Gordon Brown called the old lady a bigot
They left their famous not...the money has all gone

The current mob have learnt nothing
Corbyn wants to borrow 500 billion
Corbyn isn't worried on numbers coming here
Corbyn doesn't want nukes

They are barking.

Mad,up the the wrong tree or both?:unsure:

And yet here you are posting on a Conservative thread?

Why don't you discuss some of the stuff they've come up with at their conference?

Are you against the 3 billion for housing?

Perhaps you favour a different economic route than the one offered by Hammond today?

Rather than sneering from the sidelines tell us where they are going wrong....this is a perfect opportunity after all.

And yet here you are posting on a Conservative thread?

Why don't you discuss some of the stuff they've come up with at their conference?

Are you against the 3 billion for housing?

Perhaps you favour a different economic route than the one offered by Hammond today?

Rather than sneering from the sidelines tell us where they are going wrong....this is a perfect opportunity after all.
You are sneering at my alleged sneering. I was just pointing out how little interest everyone was showing in the Tories - and nearly all of the 6 posts that followed were talking about Labour again!

Housing - yes investment in housing is vital and any is welcome, but it seems the focus is on preparing the ground (literally) for private companies. Gavin Barwell who is leading the London policies has thrown out the idea of building any council houses. The housing benefit bill goes ever higher and instead of building the properties needed the only policy was a benefit cap - that doesn't stop landlords increasing rent it just mean money moving from a food budget to an increased rent. Madness that they will neglect to build public stock.

Ending Osborne's budget surplus target - no one believed that in the first place surely? Hammond is right to ditch Osborne's lack of investment - you invest your way into economic growth you don't stifle growth. We would arguably be in a much better position if Osborne hadn't been left to slow the economy.

I don't really know what May is doing though - grammar schools, fox hunting, Boris Johnson promotion - what are these - distractions from the EU? I haven't twigged what her game plan is yet.

You are sneering at my alleged sneering. I was just pointing out how little interest everyone was showing in the Tories - and nearly all of the 6 posts that followed were talking about Labour again!

Housing - yes investment in housing is vital and any is welcome, but it seems the focus is on preparing the ground (literally) for private companies. Gavin Barwell who is leading the London policies has thrown out the idea of building any council houses. The housing benefit bill goes ever higher and instead of building the properties needed the only policy was a benefit cap - that doesn't stop landlords increasing rent it just mean money moving from a food budget to an increased rent. Madness that they will neglect to build public stock.

Ending Osborne's budget surplus target - no one believed that in the first place surely? Hammond is right to ditch Osborne's lack of investment - you invest your way into economic growth you don't stifle growth. We would arguably be in a much better position if Osborne hadn't been left to slow the economy.

I don't really know what May is doing though - grammar schools, fox hunting, Boris Johnson promotion - what are these - distractions from the EU? I haven't twigged what her game plan is yet.

Your sneering was there for all to see, however lets not dwell on that.

For what its worth I agree to an extent with your comments on housing and the economy, although in fairness to Barwell there is now a danger that houses are earning more than those that live in them, and there is a very real implication of further social divide due to this.

May has been quite clever up to now in the way she has positioned herself, particularly on Brexit....but this won't last forever....

Hmmm, budget surplus targets ditched.... increase in public spending..... This is a big concern to me.

Sounds like the Tories have gone a little too far left for my liking!

Hammond is talking about the housing shortage. Even if more dwellings are built they will mostly be snapped up by buy to let investors. Developers agree to build "affordable" housing and then at the last minute break their promise. Councils cannot afford to challenge them and so it goes on. The UK is a paradise for developers and investors, a complete free for all with little or no regulation. Germany for example has minimum five years tenancy agreements. I feel really sorry for hard working young people who have little or no chance of owning their own home whilst paying rents that are on average much higher than in the rest of Europe.

"Affordable Housing" is a joke. I moved into a brand new house 3 years ago and have had nothing but trouble from the tenants down my road. Cant even take my daughter up to the park they built because the kids all sit about gobbing off at anyone who comes near.

The answer to the housing shortage could be to build so called New Towns, Stevenage, Basildon, Harlow etc were built not long after World War 2. We could do it then when the country was skint so why can't we do it now?

The answer to the housing shortage could be to build so called New Towns, Stevenage, Basildon, Harlow etc were built not long after World War 2. We could do it then when the country was skint so why can't we do it now?
I'm not sure that the 1940s new town model should be revived if the current state of Basildon, Stevenage and Harlow is anything to go by.

"Affordable Housing" is a joke. I moved into a brand new house 3 years ago and have had nothing but trouble from the tenants down my road. Cant even take my daughter up to the park they built because the kids all sit about gobbing off at anyone who comes near.

You have my total sympathy,

I know of several "charming" families who have all been granted brand new properties ranging from 4 bed townhouse down to 2 bed apartment...these people then disrupt the neighbourhood for those working hard to actually buy their property.

Crazy world indeed.

They have no intention of solving the housing crisis. No Government has wanted to in the last 35 years and they won't in the future.

The simple harsh truth is a housing shortage makes those that have, even more money whilst controlling those that don't. Even in places like the US or Australia there is still a housing shortage. The situation is planned and deliberate.

It always amuses me when any politician wheels out the same false housing lip service I have heard many times before. Of course in Britain we have the added problem of chronic Nimbyism which plays right into the hands of the status quo.

Even with empty threats like a rent cap, absolutely nothing will change. If you don't already own a house and there is no inheritance in the near future your only hope is for a hard Brexit and a government that would tax foreign investors properly.

Back