• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is this why they moan about Brown?
Sometimes he plays
4-4-2 or
4-5-1 or
4-4-1-1 or
4-3-2-1 or
5-4-1 or his favourite
5-5 and hope for some luck!

You do wonder if the Victor's and Victoria's realise how many people they annoy with their miserable rantings based usually on little or no real football knowledge (helping sir painting the white lines at primary school not actually being a top football qualification).

I can only imagine the levels their rantings would rise to if they supported Bradford, Coventry, Sheffield United or even worse still Portsmouth with all their resources resulting in no better or even worse performance. I remember being assured on here that with Cook in charge Portsmouth were nailed on certainties to get out of L2 this year- they are just in the playoff places by 1 point and 11 points off third.

I think we are over performing against expectations at the beginning of the season. We are making progress and building. We have a chance of an expected second consecutive promotion even if relatively unlikely.

Last edited:
Phil seems to taking a lot of criticism from a small few in the East for his tactics etc. I noticed this even more yesterday.

Tyrone Barnett had just had his penalty saved and it started. Shouts of "this is your fault Brown", "Your useless Brown" etc. Now I might have been watching a different games, but Brown neither took the penalty or saved the penalty, yet he seemed to get heckled and criticised.

He was constantly on his touchline shouting to the players last night to hold onto possession and push further up the pitch. This seemed to have been lost on some in the East who must thing that Brown picks his squad at random and then chucks on the odd random sub during the game.

When the Crewe freekick (from which they scored) was being set out by the ref he was screaming blue murder at the forth official that the wall was a lot more than 10 yards away, and after Crewe scored he was running up the touch line to have a got at the Ref also. To this he was treated to a few more shouts of "rubbish Brown", along with a couple of "Clear off to Bolton", and "keep walking Brown, f*** off"

Just before the re-start he stared at a couple of the culprits in the east and the look in his eyes was a case of "I don't need to take this s*** from you" and quite frankly I don't blame him.

If someone said to me we would have been promoted under Brown, and in our 1st season back in League one we would be safe with 12 games to go, and we did the double over Colchester I would have bitten their arm off. It would be nice to sneak into the playoffs, and would be absolutely incredible if we managed to go up.

I guess some people in the East think Phil should have Southend sitting at the top of League 1, unbeaten and scoring goals for fun.

Coughlin really wants the job doesn't he !

If Brown did the Bolton journey it wouldn't surprise me if Coughlin was attached as part of the deal.

And Horton! as long as Big Ben doesn't go too we will be all OK. Big Ben could do an Atkins and turn from physio into the manager. Last night he had a word with the ref at the end which, judging by the reaction, hit the spot.

No one is beyond criticism....but Phil Brown has done a very good job for us....fact. His one job was to get us promoted....job done. Then his remit this year was to stabilise us in league one....job done.....no opinions...no tactical analysis...just look at the facts and the shiny trophy in the cabinet.

I fully agree we do not excite all the time...but thats so low on my priorities I don't care.

Maybe we should move the dugouts to the West side? Although the West has its fair share of old gits too.

Old gits that make a lot more noise than the East, and old gits that were young when they first landed in the West stand.

Phil says the moans and groans from the stands don't help, and we are all in this together. We are United, Southend United, backroom staff, fans, directors and players. He also said he was having a go at the ref after the match about the 4 minutes extra time that didn't get played properly, with the penalty, the goal celebration and the Loza foul/injury in extra time. The ref only played the 4 minutes.

Who the conveniently forget was also lined up to replace a real club hero in Tilson while he was still in the job.
That still leave s a bitter taste, I for one won't ever trust RM, disgraceful behaviour over a couple of seasons.

Back