• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supershrimper

First XI⭐
Constant Brown Criticism

Phil seems to taking a lot of criticism from a small few in the East for his tactics etc. I noticed this even more yesterday.

Tyrone Barnett had just had his penalty saved and it started. Shouts of "this is your fault Brown", "Your useless Brown" etc. Now I might have been watching a different games, but Brown neither took the penalty or saved the penalty, yet he seemed to get heckled and criticised.

He was constantly on his touchline shouting to the players last night to hold onto possession and push further up the pitch. This seemed to have been lost on some in the East who must thing that Brown picks his squad at random and then chucks on the odd random sub during the game.

When the Crewe freekick (from which they scored) was being set out by the ref he was screaming blue murder at the forth official that the wall was a lot more than 10 yards away, and after Crewe scored he was running up the touch line to have a got at the Ref also. To this he was treated to a few more shouts of "rubbish Brown", along with a couple of "Clear off to Bolton", and "keep walking Brown, f*** off"

Just before the re-start he stared at a couple of the culprits in the east and the look in his eyes was a case of "I don't need to take this s*** from you" and quite frankly I don't blame him.

If someone said to me we would have been promoted under Brown, and in our 1st season back in League one we would be safe with 12 games to go, and we did the double over Colchester I would have bitten their arm off. It would be nice to sneak into the playoffs, and would be absolutely incredible if we managed to go up.

I guess some people in the East think Phil should have Southend sitting at the top of League 1, unbeaten and scoring goals for fun.

There are sooooooooo many childish jokes to be made after the title of this thread but i'm not one to start them....:smile:

Indeed there are.

Good job we're not managed by Ian Bishop! :winking:

I noticed this too, but to be fair it was happening before the penalty miss.

It was an awful performance and poor team selection imo and judging by those around me in the South Upper I am not the only one who thought this.

If someone puts himself in the media to take the plaudits when things are going well, then they have to accept the criticism when things are going bad too!

That's the problem with a little bit of success, the goal posts have moved and expectations have grown [among some supporters]...

But our battle to avoid relegation is going quite well...

Last edited:
He is the Manager, when things go wrong on the pitch fans will normally turn on the Manager or the Owner.

As an example, you don't hear fans chanting "Lescott out" at Villa - it's all aimed at the Owner or the Manager.

Might not be fair but that is human nature and what happens at every other club around not just ours.

I'm sure there are an awful lot of Blues supporters in the East Stand who are very reasonable and fair in their opinions of Phil Brown. Unfortunately the atmosphere in the East Stand can be a bit muted and sterile and when the vociferous supporters start to get stuck in with their views on the manager it can be heard more easily than, say, the East or the South stands. That is normally because the South and West Stands make a bit more collective noise and them as want Phil to do something painful cannot be heard so easily. There is a guy near me in the West who constantly rants for PB's demise but because the general noise around him is reasonably loud you just don't get to hear it so much.

I was in the main stand at Port Vale and although they were very annoying with some very unfunny idiots behind me, at least they directed all there abuse at PB and Southend. They managed to get ref to give them soft fouls and got Timlin and Atkinson booked.

Last night I was in the East some guy sat next to me with his wife on the other side. I knew I would be in trouble when he said Barnett was our new signing from Arsenal. Followed by Crew is over 400miles away. Sure enough he abused our players non stop even when they dealt with a difficult ball. "get him off he rubbish" in the first five minutes as soon as a player had a bad touch. Unfortunately I dragged along a mate who used to be a season ticket holder. Of course the game was bad but like man'sy others I know the loud mouth whingers who have nothing better in their lives actually put others off from attending.

But how many managers still have no idea what their best eleven or even formation is with just 12 games of the season left to go ?? that's the problem.

Does the formation/team constantly change week in week out to suit our style of so called football or to suit the opposition we are playing ??

Some of the comments on here make me laugh, every part of the ground you will get your fans that slag off and want to be heard, everyone is entitled to a opinion but you just get on with it eh, I sit in the east blues and hear some outrageous comments week in week out and it just shows that they don't attend every game or just haven't a clue, I would of taken this position we are in right now so anything else from now is a bonus, I just turn and laugh at some of the rubbish that comes out of people's mouths, you even get fans that don't even no our own players names believe it or not, they ain't regulars:'(

I too thought that the abuse to Brown was OTT. Many of us thought his team selection was poor, especially leaving out Jack Payne. The performance was one of the worst at home this season but as others have said, most of us would be more than happy to be 8th in Division One in the month of March. Some people expect the impossible, be realistic folks.

I was in the East stand greens last night and sat right in the middle of the Brown hecklers. There are two main verbalisers. The one at the back has toned his abuse down in recent matches and what a relief that's been. He has an unfortunate voice that sounds like a chicken being strangled. His usual shout is change it Phil. As I say he is better than he use to be. The second verbaliser sits half way up the Green section. He watches most games but not all. His beef is when Phil sets up defensively at home, especially with no width. I agree with this guy but the way he rounds on Phil is over the top. Those who watch the blues now and again will be put off from coming to future games because of the unpleasantness. Indeed, this guys megaphone volume utterances are really nauseating. I'm gonna have a word with club about this because it inhibits the crowd getting behind their team. Will report back.

I was in the East stand greens last night and sat right in the middle of the Brown hecklers. There are two main verbalisers. The one at the back has toned his abuse down in recent matches and what a relief that's been. He has an unfortunate voice that sounds like a chicken being strangled. His usual shout is change it Phil. As I say he is better than he use to be. The second verbaliser sits half way up the Green section. He watches most games but not all. His beef is when Phil sets up defensively at home, especially with no width. I agree with this guy but the way he rounds on Phil is over the top. Those who watch the blues now and again will be put off from coming to future games because of the unpleasantness. Indeed, this guys megaphone volume utterances are really nauseating. I'm gonna have a word with club about this because it inhibits the crowd getting behind their team. Will report back.
you grass:omg::smile:

How times change.

When I was younger, the West Bank was where all the moaners were!

Back